Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Car blew up... not sure what to do with it

gearhead899

Reaction score
Well last week i was pulling out of my driveway in my VR4. Got on it in 1st and as soon as i went to shift into 2nd POOF! tons of white smoke and sputtered to a hault. Had my room mate pull me back to the house with his truck (luckily this happened 100 yards from my house) started it back up and all kinds of rod knock and white smoke pouring out. This was pretty upsetting considering i just got this car back together a few months ago. Just did a billet transfer case, rebuilt trans, 60k service on the motor and a whole bunch of other small things adding up to over $3,000 in parts and now this happened. not sure why, A/F was fine (a tad on the rich side) and oil pressure was great. Now im not sure what to do with it. Iv built this car from nothing over the past 4+ years and im not sure if I should just let it go or tear it apart again. My room mates buddy said he will give me $4,000 for it as it sits and while i could take that money and buy a supercharger for the X, i just dont know if i could part with the car and not sure if id be happy with my decision. What do you guys think I should do? :dontknow:

Gadget

Reaction score
Dude, that is a real kick in the nuts.

I would wait a couple of days to decide what to do next.

G

gearhead899

Reaction score
Dude, that is a real kick in the nuts.

I would wait a couple of days to decide what to do next.

G

yeah iv put tons of money into this car so im thinking i should probly just keep going with it but idk if i feel like dumping that much more money into it

rennurx

Reaction score
like I already said! Rebuild it even better!

gearhead899

Reaction score
like I already said! Rebuild it even better!

Lol i know buddy. In my current living situation theirs no way id be able to afford to do so. Altho my lease is up at my current place in July. After that unfortunately ill probly end up moving back to my moms for a while, but that means ill be saving a bunch of money too so idk...

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hold onto it for the time being. You have time to think about it.

gearhead899

Reaction score
yeah next question is fix the current motor (assuming the block is ok) spend around 3k on full jdm swap (which includes trans, turbos and everything else i dont really need), or spend 5k on brand new built short block?

RRCanuck

Reaction score
Keep the car if you've put a lot of money into it, its money you'll never see again so why not drive it till the wheels fall off? It sounds like you dont want to sell it anyway. :top:

justin13703

Reaction score
I would keep it. Vr4's are nice cars and hard to come by in good shape. If everything else is good I would save up as long as you need to get a Godzilla motor built for that thing an not have to worry about it blowing again. Even if it takes years, it'll be worth it.

dpartinvr4

Reaction score
it sounds like you blew an intercooler pipe and some how SpunA Bearing

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
Not for $4k. That car is a big pita to work on.... Gotta weight the options.

gearhead899

Reaction score
it sounds like you blew an intercooler pipe and some how SpunA Bearing

yeah im assuming it spun a bearing. all IC pipes were ok

Not for $4k. That car is a big pita to work on.... Gotta weight the options.

Its not that big of a pain to work on. i got rid of a lot of clutter in the engine bay last time i had it apart. last time it took me 3 hours from start to having the motor pulled. and that was the first time i ever pulled it, with all the clutter in tact, by myself with only hand tools lol so its not that bad

Clifford

because race truck
Reaction score
I would keep it man, no question about it. Those cars are hard to come by in good condition, plus you'll never get near the money back that you put into it. I'd let it sit until I could rebuild the motor.

gearhead899

Reaction score
I would keep it man, no question about it. Those cars are hard to come by in good condition, plus you'll never get near the money back that you put into it. I'd let it sit until I could rebuild the motor.

thats true. I could probly part it out and get a good amount of money back but that would be a lot of work to strip the parts. probly more work/ hours doing that then it would take to rebuild it lol

Top Bottom