Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Carbon Hood

xrunrob

Reaction score
I picked up a carbon hood pretty cheap and thought i would share the progress. the clear was all pealing off and flaking so it needs to be completely sanded down. you can see the difference between the nice carbon and the carbon with the clear still on it (yellow looking). its getting there very slowly. ill post more as i continue to sand. just need to figure out how to bring the center of the hood scoop down. not liking how its bowing up.
a6tu.jpg

fa8r.jpg

yg3f.jpg

wzcb.jpg

loc0.jpg

xrunrob

Reaction score
I hope so. cant wait to get done sanding and re-clear coat. that will be when all this hard work pays off

hrspwr236

Reaction score
Awesome, congrats on the nice find, all that hard work will pay off in the end, it will look great!

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Reminds me how much I like my CF hood. Actually miss it being only cleared.

smftexas86

Reaction score
out of curiosity.

How are you planning on getting rid of that hump or what its called?

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking good! I am thinking that hump needs to be reattached to the bottom subframe!

Do you plan on adding pins/ areolatch?

xrunrob

Reaction score
yes i have a plan for the hump in the middle. think i got it figured out last night. i expoyed a bolt to the underside of the hump and im going to drill a hole in the bottom ribs and bolt it down, then add more expoy to all around to hold it there. ill take a pic later on tonight of my handy work. But for 200 bucks i can make this work.

As of now i have no plans for hood pins but if i do need them im going to go with the areo latches for sure

xrunrob

Reaction score
i got the hump to lay flat. what do you all think now. also got 1/4 of it sanded. enjoy

just need to spray the nut and bolt black. might not look the best but for now it will work
t4jh.jpg

t9cw.jpg

36z5.jpg

g7jz.jpg

05xrunnerx

Reaction score
It's defiantly lookin good! I didn't realize on these carbon fiber hoods that the scoop was functional. Unlike on the stock xr hood.

xrunrob

Reaction score
We are getting closer. worked on it today for a little and made some adjustments. the hood was really wavy after bolting down the center of the scoop. I found if i wedged a nut on each side it brought the hood up to where it was supposed to be. Here is a pic of how far i got with the sanding. and also you can see how wavy it is in the second pic. Ill post new pics tomorrow so you can really see the difference.
4n9a.jpg

h52y.jpg

Last edited:

xrunrob

Reaction score
There are lots of places online that sells them. And ever now and they pop up for sale. Just Google Tacoma carbon fiber hood and you will find them.

xrunrob

Reaction score
got the hood outside today and did a little more sanding, but wedging the nuts on the bottom side did the trick on getting the hood flat. You can really see a difference. hopefully tomorrow i will have it all sanding down and then the next step is clear coat.

9nu3.jpg

3/8 nut i used to wedge the hood. dont think i will see them once its on the truck
rfpi.jpg

xrunrob

Reaction score
alright. i got it all sanded down. just needs clear now. what a pain in the butt. i can still see some hints of the yellow in the carbon but im scared of sanding any more. i rubbed though in a couple spots but its not bad. here are some pics and a couple teasers with it on the truck for a test fitment. enjoy. next pics i post will be of it cleared so it might be a little before i get that done.
zlwa.jpg

eolw.jpg

di1w.jpg

Here is one spot that got too deep
k5ls.jpg

Teaser Pics
mur9.jpg

rslg.jpg

hrspwr236

Reaction score
Looks 100 times better, god work so far and can't wait to see the final product!

Top Bottom