Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

collapsed lifter?

dpartinvr4

Reaction score
I now have pending p0016 and p0018 which is cam crank correlation for both sides....this just keeps getting better:/

dpartinvr4

Reaction score
timing is spot on, and my scanner still shows ignition advance, so I assume my crank sensor is good. G have you seen anything like this before?

dpartinvr4

Reaction score
unplugged driver side OCV, noise almost completely goes away.....getting closer to solving this.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
So you are thinking it is the intake cam gear?

dpartinvr4

Reaction score
idk, I'm not getting any codes which doesn't make any sense. but I'm going to pull the bank 2 OCV and flush it out and ohm test and power probe it to make shure it's working.

also, prior to the ocv discovery, i put a bottle of Lucas heavy in "which is much thicker than the lucas full synth i used before", it really helps quiet it down longer, but it would still tick under decel and light load, so i'm thinking the lock pin on the cam gear might be causing some issues somehow.

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
This is a strange issue for sure.

dpartinvr4

Reaction score
I can run the linear VVTI test with my scanner, and it will react, but its very sluggish to react to my command to increase/decrease degree angle. so that kind supports the blockage theory, my only issue is the scanner doesn't show the VVTI doing anything in datastream mode, but when i go into linear or system test, I can see the angles and percentages go crazy, also idk what the ECU is supposed to do, but with my bank 2 OCV unplugged, it still shows both VVTI command states as "ON"

dpartinvr4

Reaction score
wheres G when you need him..... I feel like a Uconn would solve my problems :)

Micro

Reaction score
I can run the linear VVTI test with my scanner, and it will react, but its very sluggish to react to my command to increase/decrease degree angle. so that kind supports the blockage theory, my only issue is the scanner doesn't show the VVTI doing anything in datastream mode, but when i go into linear or system test, I can see the angles and percentages go crazy, also idk what the ECU is supposed to do, but with my bank 2 OCV unplugged, it still shows both VVTI command states as "ON"

Have you figured this out? What scanner are you using? In datastream mode are you driving the truck or free-revving?

I'm just starting to break down this system for myself. It definitely sounds like it is possible the thing isn't under proper control. It may not be getting proper actuator pressure or it may be leaking the pressure it is supposed to hold. So I'd do what you're doing and change/clean the OCV and OCV filter first. Also if it runs closed loop using cam position sensor feedback (I think it has to) and the cam sensor is bad or randomly bad it will make the thing misbehave big time and could make it do corrections that cause it to slam fully advanced and retarded causing audible noises. So be sure cam sensors are good next.

If that's not it I'm afraid you'll have to investigate the cam gear actuator. Points of failure there could be lock pin or sliding seals.

With the OCV unplugged I'm pretty sure you'll still see the command states as ON when they're supposed to be on. The ECU command signal isn't going to know if it's plugged into the OCV or not, it's just sending the command signal down the line when it's told to do so. The only feedback the ECU gets to proper operation is then the phasing reported from cam position sensors and if it runs in closed loop (which I think it has to, intelligent!) and doesn't read where it's supposed to be it'll keep sending a signal to drive it there.

Top Bottom