Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Custom Traction Bar

XrunnIT

Reaction score
Kind of look like a primitive version of the Caltracs. I would say if the price is reasonable they would be a good option.

bc7d2556.jpg

I would be kind of weary about the plate design though in high torque trucks, especially if they have tires that are going to hook hard. That was the same method that TTC used and those bent pretty often.

These look much beefier though, so maybe it won't be an issue. I wonder where the front is mounting too, and how much it will bind under load.

Venomous_X

Reaction score
^ He stated that he has beefed up the design for future builds...

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Thread cleaned of pricing/links to pricing until vendor status can determined. PM sent to SPEED-FREEK. Look forward to seeing a new product available to the community.

SPEED-FREEK

Reaction score
Sdxrunner and or red-xrunner-pride, r1chris, all may be interested in lending a hand. They are the only ones I have seen in Dago on a almost regular basis. Sorry I couldn't be more of a help or I'd jump at the opportunity. Gl and keep us posted. Looks sick already.

Your offer to help was more than I could ask, I really appreciate it.

Kind of look like a primitive version of the Caltracs. I would say if the price is reasonable they would be a good option.

bc7d2556.jpg

I would be kind of weary about the plate design though in high torque trucks, especially if they have tires that are going to hook hard. That was the same method that TTC used and those bent pretty often.

These look much beefier though, so maybe it won't be an issue. I wonder where the front is mounting too, and how much it will bind under load.

The first on I made did bend since it wasnt thick enouhg, now that they are made from 3/8" plate I have yet to see one bend at all. It is going to be plenty strong :blurock:

XrunnIT

Reaction score
The first on I made did bend since it wasnt thick enouhg, now that they are made from 3/8" plate I have yet to see one bend at all. It is going to be plenty strong :blurock:

That's good to hear. Where/how are you mounting the front eyelet?

SDXR619

Reaction score
I'm down man! I'm an old CT.com member and my buddy Edwerd used to always go up to your place . He'd probably be stoked to roll up with me and see you again.

SPEED-FREEK

Reaction score
That's good to hear. Where/how are you mounting the front eyelet?

I use a new longer front leaf spring eye bolt which is the mounting point for the front Heim joint, fairly simple yet effective design. I use a stainless bushing that adapts an SAE Heim joint to a metric bolt, and it uses a spacer that moves the Heim joint about 1" inward from the inboard side of the spring mounting tab for clearance.

I'm down man! I'm an old CT.com member and my buddy Edwerd used to always go up to your place . He'd probably be stoked to roll up with me and see you again.

Sure anytime!

I replied to your PM.

Last edited:

mpower

Reaction score
the x-runner is spring under axle and the prerunner/4x4 is spring over axle. so one trac bar kit cant be made to fit the other . but a bracket or 2 could me made to be universal to either one with enough thought.

with spring over axle suspension the 2 traction bars , from bottom of axle to a little forward of the front spring eye is most effective.this is also called a "2-link" . easy to do a bolt on setup , but of course reduces ground clearance.

for spring under axle suspension the 2-link isnt as effictive, especially when the springs are thin and flexy.running the links on top of the housing instead of below makes it a little more practical.
a ladder bar hooked up to a shackle running along the driveshaft is best , but is heavy and hard to package.
for spring under ,mounting a single link as close to the top of the axle and having the second pivot near the driveshaft pivot , is best for a multitude of reasons . but its hard to get it to be a accurate bolt on kit. a weld on kit could be made and would probably be the cheapest route , but dosent make it available to everybody

PiNkY

Reaction score
so I take it these things wouldn't work on an X w/ a DJM drop

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
I can not for the life of me, Eliminate my axle hop...tried adjusting my URD...no avail...

Any time you would like to me up, OP. I would love to see a demonstration, or possible do an install test on my truck. I get axle hop when tunring, do to my welded diff, so i would love to give another option a try. Thanks. I have tools, jacks, stands...etc... Lemmie know. :top:

CALIYOTA11

Reaction score
I am actually looking to getting some caltracs or making my own this week, I live in cali bro, but im a few hrs. away from you. I have a DC4x4 and the axle wrap is pretty bad escially do to 33" tires and 6" lift it really puts leverage on the leafs. I like the idea but I would like to see a little higher quality on the welds, I noticed on the plates that you did not grind the mill scale off(the grey material on the top of carbon steel), remove the mill scale and you will not get that rust line along the edges of the weld called cold cut, will better the integrity of the weld. Sorry not meaning to bash, just some suggestions, I use to build gasloine tankers, milk tanks and other DOT trailers and now do maintenance in the food processing industry and we do moderate TIG, MIG, ARC and purge pipe and HFAC. Glad to see someone is trying to develop something for us though, the options are slim out there and I have yet to see but 3 options for lifted or 4x4 tacomas. If you want to meet up or see what we can come up with just let me know bud, and keep us posted.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Due to the fact that I was tired of wheel hop, which was made worse by having a single piece drive shaft, I had to get Caltracs. My wheel hop was so bad that when it would happen, it made me think that only a short amount of time and either my ring and pinion would blow, or gears in my transmission.

Sorry to start the request SPEED, but the necessity out weighed the time I could wait. However, this is still a good deal for other members, who live closer.

CALIYOTA11

Reaction score
Torspd,

how did the caltracs work for you? Are you still lifted like your profile pic cause I thought I seen a thread where you lowered your truck or something?

Top Bottom