Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Emissions

Tunedx

Reaction score
Would my x pass emission test running the dtlt headers?

AnthonyF

Banned
Reaction score
^if your CEL is on, you WILL not pass. There have been new requirements, i dunno about in Canada but in GA, we must check for cats. Even if it is an OBDII.

-Ant.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Find a friendly shop coupled with an O2 sim and you will pass (in most places here at least).

Coupe

Reaction score
I think this is an area thing. What I am really curious is what are the HC, CO, Nix levels with just the rear cats installed?

I have front and rear cats and I am willing to go have a sniffer test done to establish a baseline. Is there anyone that has rear cats only willing to do the same thing?

rich017

Reaction score
We have 4 cats. Dont you only need at least 1 or 2 cats and a tail pipe to pass?

We dont have emission laws here so I have no clue

AnthonyF

Banned
Reaction score
I think this is an area thing. What I am really curious is what are the HC, CO, Nix levels with just the rear cats installed?

I have front and rear cats and I am willing to go have a sniffer test done to establish a baseline. Is there anyone that has rear cats only willing to do the same thing?
NoX Levels. With OBD II cars, this really doesnt matter. The OBD connector reads the computer to make sure everything is working perfectly. If the computer says everything is A OK, then you are good to go. (no CEL's). There are ways to pass this. Our Viper buddy has a Gen II Viper with 1,600 hp to the GROUND!!! Anyways, he is running an AEM but when it comes to emissions he plugs in another computer that tells the OBD connector from the bench (emission machine) that everything is perfect...when it actually isn't.:rock:

We have 4 cats. Dont you only need at least 1 or 2 cats and a tail pipe to pass?

We dont have emission laws here so I have no clue
No, If your car comes with 4, it should have 4. If you remove 2 and CEL hasnt come on, good. You will still pass. If your CEL is on it is due to your O2's not seeing a difference in tempature between the 2 banks. That is when O2 sims come into play or when a good tune works out well.

My mustang had zero cats out of 4, missing 2 O2 sensors, 3 times as much fuel, S/C all sorts of stuff. But I got the stock ECU flashed/tuned and I had no problems.:top:

-Ant.

Coupe

Reaction score
This is not entirely true. Some states do a computer diagnostics check and a sniffer test. By putting an O2 simulator you trick the computer, but you do not trick the sniffer.

In Texas is goes by county.

My guess is that Toyota would not have put 4 cats on if they could meet emissions with 2.

The next question would be: Could you use two (2) High flow cats and still have acceptable emissions levels?

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score
Hate to say it but i think we will be swapping them out when emissions comes around for us!! Your a 2007 so ill be goin first ill let you know!! Its still a couple of years away though so no worries yet!! Have to find a crooked etester lol..

Tunedx

Reaction score
Fake e-test

Hate to say it but i think we will be swapping them out when emissions comes around for us!! Your a 2007 so ill be goin first ill let you know!! Its still a couple of years away though so no worries yet!! Have to find a crooked etester lol..

I had to get a fake e-test for my 97 eclipse. I was running 3" down pipe and 3" exhaust with no cats. I ran a little rich and blew high CO levels. I was going to get my timing adjusted and wasn't sure what buddy I had bought the car from did. So I got a fake e-test for $250.00 before I sold the car.

Vecte

"Fluffy"
Reaction score
Emissions testing here in my area, they put this thing in where you gas cap screws on. It tests to see if your tank leaks fumes. That is what they call emissions testing here at least. You should be fine if that is what they do there.

AnthonyF

Banned
Reaction score
^lololol Thats the gas cap tester. We have that too but along with the entire FULL tests.

-Ant.

quicky06

Reaction score
the good part is that im a MO State saftey and emmisions inspector(i hook the computer up and cliick buttons).

MO has changed the emmisions over to pure OBD testing. for newer cars like ours we can have 1 monitor not ran and still pass. check engine light has to be off and it cant be commanded on and u pass but it checks for IM monitors so you cant just tune all of them out.(like tuning a GM)

the saftey inspection is werer were supposed to look for modifications to immisions equipment but honestly most people wouldnt notice if you put headers on and left the stock y.

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score
what mods can you do if all they do is hook a thing to the ecu and gas cap it?

Well here in ontario Canada they switched to an odb test only. No sniffer in the tail pipe and no gas cap check. I passed with urd mk2 blower dtlt headers urd y pipe and magnaflow catback. Mind you they are supposed to a visual for cats and emissions related parts but most places don't care they just want the money from doing the test.

So with that said. As long as you have no check engine light or any pending codes (also need to be cel free for a while b4 you go) you can get away with almost anything lol

Reaction score
Well here in ontario Canada they switched to an odb test only. No sniffer in the tail pipe and no gas cap check. I passed with urd mk2 blower dtlt headers urd y pipe and magnaflow catback. Mind you they are supposed to a visual for cats and emissions related parts but most places don't care they just want the money from doing the test.

So with that said. As long as you have no check engine light or any pending codes (also need to be cel free for a while b4 you go) you can get away with almost anything lol
wow.... so do headers and the ypipe throw a code?

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes you'll get codes if you don't have an 02 Simulator or some sort of piggyback ECU that can trick the truck ECU into thinking your getting the proper readings for exhaust with cats.

Reaction score
Yes you'll get codes if you don't have an 02 Simulator or some sort of piggyback ECU that can trick the truck ECU into thinking your getting the proper readings for exhaust with cats.
doug thorleys and the urd y-pipe would throw codes? I thought they hade the sims?

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score
doug thorleys and the urd y-pipe would throw codes? I thought they hade the sims?

The headers will throw the code. You have to buy the 02 sim seperate. Or in my case my apr X1 takes care of it. Ucon from urd does the same

Reaction score
The headers will throw the code. You have to buy the 02 sim seperate. Or in my case my apr X1 takes care of it. Ucon from urd does the same
wouldn't the sim be cheaper? if my tax return is enough I wanna do one of these. im a college student working part time... funds are tight lol

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score
Just get te sim. It's all you need. If you plan to boost or anything down the road and get a ucon or something else you can just sell the sim.

Top Bottom