Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

FAQ: Fluid Capacity/Types

Stevenredx

Reaction score
Engine Oil:
Drained with filter = 4.8 Qts. (4.5L)
Drained, w/out filter = 4.4Qts. (4.2L)
Recommended oil viscosity: SAE 5W-30

Engine Coolant:
10.3Qts. (9.7L)

Transmission Fluid:
1.9Qts. (1.8L)
Oil type: Gear oil API GL-4 or GL5
Recommended oil viscosity: SAE 75W-90

Differential Oil:
3.5Qts. (3.31L)
Oil type: Gear oil API GL-5
(models with limited slip require gear oil for limited slip)

Fuel Tank:
21.1 Gals. (80L)

Brake Fluid:
SAE J1703 or FMVSS No.116 DOT 3

06XR-SW

Reaction score
Cool!! thanks steven!!!!:biggrin:

600post ftw!!!!!!

DallasCowboys

Banned
Reaction score
Engine Oil:

Engine Coolant:
10.3Qts. (9.7L)

Transmission Fluid:
1.9Qts. (1.8L)

Differential Oil:
3.5Qts. (3.31L)

Fuel Tank:
21.1 Gals. (80L)

Brake Fluid:
Thanks Steve. :smile:

Grumpy

Reaction score
One of the Toyota tech at the dealer I spoke to yesterday said our truck takes 6.2qt.:stupid: I told him the correct amount and he got all offended. Good enough reason to not let my dealership change my oil.

x-short-r

Reaction score
I am curious. Any one takes their X to get an oil change at the dealership? I usually don't do it that often, but I did today. I asked them if they can put in synthetic (because that what i usually do). They said that it's NOT reccommended because it's a V-6??? They use castrol or some type of toyota premium blend.
Anyways i decided to take it in because I had some squeking noise when the clutch is not pressed down and it's becoming louder and louder. I just wanted them to check it out.

DOGSTOY06

Banned
Reaction score
the plain truth is this,not what they told you.if you have oil change coupons they are only good for premium grade oil not synthetic.if you tell them ahead of coupons presentation there is additonal funds to get the synthetic added. they probably tried the old swerve than tell you the truth.:top:

Stevenredx

Reaction score
I am curious. Any one takes their X to get an oil change at the dealership? I usually don't do it that often, but I did today. I asked them if they can put in synthetic (because that what i usually do). They said that it's NOT reccommended because it's a V-6??? They use castrol or some type of toyota premium blend.

Yeah, there bsing you. I would say at-least 75% of the members here run synthetic, no issues at all. The number of cylinders and engine has nothing to do with what kind of oil you can use. :dontknow:

jmony55

Reaction score
thanks for the fluid info. i am thinking of finally switching to full synthetic and will probably do it during our so cal mod day this weekend.

rich017

Reaction score
switch your tranny and rear diff to synthetic too.

moregrip

Reaction score
that's hardly any gear oil in the tranny, wow, much different than an automatic!

lacetool

Reaction score
syn no way

all 4 toy trk. i've owned had 250,000 + mi. and only motor problem was valve seals that leaked a little after settin [not driven[ my 05 xstunner has 147,000 now why waste $$$ lacetool

BrokenTusk

Reaction score
Engine Oil:

Engine Coolant:
10.3Qts. (9.7L)

Transmission Fluid:
1.9Qts. (1.8L)

Differential Oil:
3.5Qts. (3.31L)

Fuel Tank:
21.1 Gals. (80L)

Brake Fluid:

Do the X-r's have limited slip??

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
I am under the impression that all xrs have limited slip 05-08 is mechanical and 09+ is electronic. Thus no matter what year all trucks need a diff fluid for LSD with hyphoid gears....

Reaction score
I am under the impression that all xrs have limited slip 05-08 is mechanical and 09+ is electronic. Thus no matter what year all trucks need a diff fluid for LSD with hyphoid gears....

The term "electronic LSD" is extremely misleading. The 09's and up (mine included) have an open differential. If you push the traction control button you can enter "auto lsd" mode which uses the traction control wheel speed sensors to monitor when one wheel starts to slip and it then applies the brakes to that wheel. It simulates an LSD by trying to keep both tires having torque applied to them without one spinning wildly as what happens with a normal open diff vehicle. Having said that the diff is an open setup, has no clutch-pack, and as a result does not need the friction modifier in the fluid that the earlier year trucks require.

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
Great explanation:top: thanks man that sums it up nicely

Reaction score
Yeah, I was very disappointed when I figured it out. I think Toyota took the cheap route when they had to add the vehicle stability control and traction control. A true-trac LSD is on my list of things to do. It is funny because if you read the owner's manual it specifically tells you not to drive around for any length of time with the "auto LSD" engaged because you will generate excessive heat/wear in the rear brakes.

scareurpasenger

Reaction score
I have some straight 90w that I would love to use. Has anyone done temperature tests for the diff fluid?

Top Bottom