Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

FAQ: Short Shifter Comparison

gregincali

Reaction score
thanks I was thinking bout going with the TRD. But Ill stay with my URD

XRnRElite77

Reaction score
I have the URD ss right now, but not for long. I order the B&M ss yesterday with 2 day air shippment. My stock shifter is loose and rattles, its driving me nuts. I just upgraded. :top:

Coupe

Reaction score
I noticed the B&M is noisy but I also noticed that if I drove around with the stock shifter knob off it was a lot more quiet. I purchases a new shifter knob that I am hoping will dampen some of the noise. It should be here soon
:top:

It will help. I have a solid mount arm with a URD, I noticed a little whine in 6th gear only. I put a TMW A6 Leopard shift knob.

It pretty much damped it out.

PeteDawg

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just bought a used URD ss from HVM. Anyone have a copy of the install instructions they could scan and either post up or send me. I would appreciate it, thanks.

Pete

tucanpete88@hotmail.com

Twisted Creations

Reaction score
:hmmmm2: Awesome info, but I have a question. If the shifter rods are not identical at the point of measurement from the dash, how can these numbers be accurate? In other words, if one is slightly bent forward, or back, or is more straight, or longer or shorter, fatter or thinner? Would this not throw all the calculations out of sinc? It would seem to me the measurement would be at the movement near the bottom of the shifter, not the top or middle. :hmmmm2:

Stevenredx

Reaction score
:hmmmm2: Awesome info, but I have a question. If the shifter rods are not identical at the point of measurement from the dash, how can these numbers be accurate? In other words, if one is slightly bent forward, or back, or is more straight, or longer or shorter, fatter or thinner? Would this not throw all the calculations out of sinc? It would seem to me the measurement would be at the movement near the bottom of the shifter, not the top or middle. :hmmmm2:

Identical or not, the measurements will give the distance for the "throw" between each gear. Technically... you could measure from a completely different location but the distance between gears will still come out the same. Maybe that makes since... :hmmmm2::laugh:

overdriven

Reaction score
I noticed the B&M is noisy but I also noticed that if I drove around with the stock shifter knob off it was a lot more quiet. I purchases a new shifter knob that I am hoping will dampen some of the noise. It should be here soon
:top:

It will help. I have a solid mount arm with a URD, I noticed a little whine in 6th gear only. I put a TMW A6 Leopard shift knob.

It pretty much damped it out.

I actually found most of the noise from my B&M came from the chrome ring around the top of the boot. Here's the test procedure. Take the knob off, push the ring down and hold it there by pulling down on the shift boot. My results were the same noise as when the stock shift knob was on because the stock knob pushes the chrome ring down just before it stops turning. Aftermarket knobs that don't push the ring down may lessen the noise because the ring isn't sitting as tight on the shaft. Now the real test, pull the chrome ring up (knob removed) so it doesn't touch the shaft. My results were no noise, indicating in my case the chrome ring was at fault not the stock knob. This is just incase you don't want a new knob but want to figure out how to get rid of the noise from your B&M or solid shaft shifter. Your results may vary, I'm not responsible blah blah blah

And thanks for doing the leg work and providing all the great info

daveczrn

Reaction score
Identical or not, the measurements will give the distance for the "throw" between each gear. Technically... you could measure from a completely different location but the distance between gears will still come out the same. Maybe that makes since... :hmmmm2::laugh:

exactly... If we were just looking at the posistions of the shifter then yes the only right way to measure it would have been to find center point of a shifters throw and measure the distances then. But because we are looking at movement then it's much easier to just pick a point and measure the distance of each gear, and measure the throw by doing math. the single measuring point isn't a perfect way of measuring the throw. but it will get it within a few percent of being accurate. which is close enough considering all other measurements people have been taken have been seat of the pants.

xrunish

Reaction score
nice thread man. i was heard about he b&m about a few days ago and now am officialy certain thats whats iwant, my girl has her own car this is my truck haha

daveczrn

Reaction score
Been trying to get them to send me a kit so i can get it in the list... Not sure why they don't want me to? :dontknow:

SX TOY

Reaction score
great write up:top: I have a b&m and love it. I believe a majority of the noise comes from the aluminum mounting plate. the stock shifter kept those noises from transmitting to the cabin because it is a cast part. I am considering slapping a piece of ramaat on the main faces of the b&m to quiet it.

daveczrn

Reaction score
Thanks... I have a few idea's for a little nicer comparrison, but i want a complete list first. we'll see if that happens.

Also about the little noise, most of the guys are saying it's coming from the chrome plastic piece at the top of the leather shift boot. I don't think your wrong with saying what part is making the noise.. Just as to why it's not with the stock part. With the rubber isolators on the stock shifter(same part that wears out and makes the stock shifters sloppy) it will isolate sound and vibration coming from the transmission.

SE_XRUNNER

Reaction score
i have the nst ss and if you will provide me with some more detailed instructions on how to get the measurements i will be glad to post the info for comparison. i realize this info may not be trusted but i will do my best to make it as acurate as possible.

KETCHUP

Reaction score
nice comparison. need to throw that Coupe modded URD SS in the mix though.

butters607

Reaction score
I love my urd very fair priced and the feel is wonderous!

Top Bottom