Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Gasket for MAF sensor to TCAI mount

wolfpack_5150

Jangley
Reaction score
Upon install of the urd TCAI, I noticed the MAF sensor didnt seat well on the intake...The wire bundle part seems to interfere with the way the maf sensor seats onto the mount.

In order to bolt down the maf sensor, u have to have the harness connected, and then bolt the unit down.. Trying to mount the maf sensor, and THEN connect the harness does not work...There is some kind of interference.

SO, when we install the maf sensor the only way possible, does that mean theres a gap somewhere on the mounting/seating surface for moisture and air to leak in?

Ive never MADE a gasket, but IIRC theres gasket material u can use to make a 1 off gasket yourself....Would this be a good idea?

I know others HAVE had problems with water/moisture creeping in from the maf sensor seat/mount area and its caused bogging issues/loss of power/hesitation.

Im headed for bed, just wanted to bring this lil question I had to the gurus here on XRu

:questionmark:

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you extend your maf sensor wires? This is required for install of the urd tcai. Some wire, solder and shrink wrap will have it all butttoned up in no time

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Basically you are referring to a gasket similar to what comes with the TRD intake, it sounds like.

A thin piece of rubber or similar would work, as well as other gasket material that can be cut to necessity. However, it wouldn't have that "professional/part specific feel" to it. Which is what i think you are looking for. Correct if i am wrong.

Gadget

Reaction score
The base of the MAF has its own O-Ring that slips down in the hole the MAF goes into. It is very unlikely you need to worry about making your own gasket.

If you want to make sure it is sealed just put a tiny bit of RTV around the base of the sensor.

G

wolfpack_5150

Jangley
Reaction score
Did you extend your maf sensor wires? This is required for install of the urd tcai. Some wire, solder and shrink wrap will have it all butttoned up in no time

yeah Its been installed for a few months now, I purchased brand new from Gadget anlong with my Maf Calibrator, injen shield, and hydro shield.

Basically you are referring to a gasket similar to what comes with the TRD intake, it sounds like.

A thin piece of rubber or similar would work, as well as other gasket material that can be cut to necessity. However, it wouldn't have that "professional/part specific feel" to it. Which is what i think you are looking for. Correct if i am wrong.

You sir read through my insanely sleep deprived post and figured out EXACTLY what I was trying to get across :top:
Thank you Sir!

The base of the MAF has its own O-Ring that slips down in the hole the MAF goes into. It is very unlikely you need to worry about making your own gasket.

If you want to make sure it is sealed just put a tiny bit of RTV around the base of the sensor.

G

Thanks for chiming in Gadget!
The only reason I asked is because after I did some cleaning consisting of........Maf sensor cleaner (can says specifically for MAF sensors).......TB cleaning (by hand)..........and blowing the debris out of the amsoil filter.

After these things were done I noticed I have a slight whistle now.....It does not sound like a vaccuum leak, no hoses are brittle, or disconnected, and the truck runs fine. I was a little worried maybe that tiny lip on the MAF sensor mating surface of the intake may have started letting air in and it was causing the whistle...

Then again, it may be due to me cleaning the filter and now its flowing better, or maybe I was listening sooo hard for any sings of a F' up on my part that I may have caught the whistle now and Its always been there but I wasnt looking for it before?

Either way, everything seems to be fine.....Thank you to all who chimed in, and as always Gadget..........

hat-tip.gif

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Did someone sneak a throttle body spacer on your truck? o_O. Lol.

Can you describe how and where you hear the whistling noise please? Should shed some more light. Also, I assume you have no check engine light correct?

burnboy

Reaction score
My connector wouldn't clip securely. I had to file a little metal away on the intake. Otherwise the bolts should seat the maf to the intake and is print sealed. Unless you pinched the oring upon install maybe

wolfpack_5150

Jangley
Reaction score
Did someone sneak a throttle body spacer on your truck? o_O. Lol.

Can you describe how and where you hear the whistling noise please? Should shed some more light. Also, I assume you have no check engine light correct?

Lmao...nope, no TBS, I promise.
I only hear it under light load (taking off from a stop and light throttle)....thanks to fly by wire, I can't manipulate the gas while being under the hood at the same time... maybe ill have my girl blip the throttle a little while I listen.
I've had an intake on my maxima that made a little whine and this kinda sounds the same, just very very faint.

As for description....well I guess I worded it wrong originally, its more of a light whine. Your correct, no check engine light, and the ultraguage shows nothing wrong either.

My connector wouldn't clip securely. I had to file a little metal away on the intake. Otherwise the bolts should seat the maf to the intake and is print sealed. Unless you pinched the oring upon install maybe
I may take the dremel to it.....removed from truck, and with shop vacuume hose sitting under the area while running the dremel (ill use a sanding drum and slow speed). Then again, that prolly wont be done till I service the filter or maf sensor again.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Try your idea with the lady, first. That should give you a good idea where to go from there.

wolfpack_5150

Jangley
Reaction score
Guess I forgot to update this...... Traded straight across for my old afe stage 2si..... No wind noise, no maf harness connection issues, and I don't have the intake letting droplets of rain get sucked onto the maf sensor and making the truck stumble anymore. I got sick of toying with that hydrophobic sock when it rained.

wolfpack_5150

Jangley
Reaction score
URD TCAI round two ..............................

lol..............a year later, another URD intake and same bullshit fit.

maybe someone else will chime in and this will get fixed one day

Im not making some gasket sealer again, thats just stupid, how do I clean the MAF sensor easily?

wolfpack_5150

Jangley
Reaction score
jeezus, maybe some of you with no issues are using the "extension" harness....I am not and dont need to... I have had my MAF extended from back in the day before URD had the MAF extender

justin13703

Reaction score
I never had a problem with my maf sensor fitting in my URD intake (I had the mk1 supercharger which essentially used the same thing as the URD intake). I could also plug it in and unplug it without removing it from the tube. Before you start dremeling the hole out, go to the dealership and get a new maf sensor o-ring. Put a tiny bit of oil on just the o ring and it should fit just fine. Oh and don't mess with a filter sock. Get the heat shield. My truck, with a c38 blower, grillcraft grill, and that heat shield, wouldn't suck up a single drop of water under boost at 80mph in the rain. Oh and no I didn't have the extension harness. This was from back when it had to be cut and spliced.

Try to get a couple pictures of the issue.

Last edited:
Top Bottom