Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GearHead899 build thread

gearhead899

Reaction score
Well 2 weeks ago, I was coming home from work in the black truck. During a pull, I went to slam 2nd and BANG. After that I had a bunch of neutrals. Was worried I broke something in the trans but turns out I exploded the URD stage 3+ clutch. Already installed a URD oversized TOB and sleeve. Just waiting on the new Competition stage 3 clutch to arrive so I can get it slapped back together. Hoping ill have time to get it done before Xfest. If not, Ill just bring the red truck again. But I am getting good at pulling the trans in these trucks I guess. Had it out in 1.5 hours lol
20230901_144843.jpg
20230901_145432.jpg
20230906_150551.jpg
20230906_155116.jpg

gearhead899

Reaction score
Saw URD had the spec U headers back in stock and had to grab them. These will be going onto the black truck so that will have full spec U exhaust. The old doug thorley long tubes that are currently on it, will most likely find their way onto the red truck

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231221-083517_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231221-083517_Chrome.jpg
    443.5 KB · Views: 61

gearhead899

Reaction score
Got the Spec U headers installed on the black truck today. So it now has the full spec u system and it sounds great! Ill install my old Doug Thorley long tubes on the red truck another day.
20240111_103411.jpg

20240111_124621_01.jpg

gearhead899

Reaction score
Last week I braved the 20* temps and installed my old Doug Thorley long tubes on the red truck. Not sure how I got lucky enough to get all the original 241k mile manifold nuts off in one piece

Hawaiis Ribbon X

Reaction score
Last week I braved the 20* temps and installed my old Doug Thorley long tubes on the red truck. Not sure how I got lucky enough to get all the original 241k mile manifold nuts off in one piece

Sounds awesome dude. I still trip out till this day on how clean this truck looks for the age and mileage.

Nashman

Reaction score
I have killed 2 urd clutch's. I am done with that junk going spec this time around I figure

gearhead899

Reaction score
I have killed 2 urd clutch's. I am done with that junk going spec this time around I figure
Only thing im not crazy about with the spec is that it has some noise on engagement from a stop. Its not as bad when it warms up but still a little annoying. I ended up making a clock with the pressure plate from the old URD clutch lol

Attachments

• 20240206_124310.jpg
    20240206_124310.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 49

gearhead899

Reaction score
Recently did a mod on both trucks that I have known about for a long time but have never done because I really didnt think it would do much.
Im talking about the clutch accumulator delete. My biggest gripe with these trucks is how slow you have to shift to avoid grinding (mostly 2nd) when doing a hard pull. As I said, I was skeptical that this would help it as I was sure the issue was more on the internals of the trans.
Theirs a thread on tacomaworld about several different ways to connect the lines once the accumulator is removed but attached is the part I used.
I just cut off the bracket that comes attached to the 90⁰ fitting as its not needed. Basically you remove the 3-12mm bolts that attach the shield covering the slave cylinder. I then sprayed the bleed nipple on the slave cylinder and both fittings with penetrating oil and cracked all 3 loose to make sure they werent seized. Their are also 3-12mm bolts attaching the accumulator to the side of the trans. Once you have the line fittings that attach to it broken loose, snug them lightly to prevent leaking while removing the 12mm bolts that hold on the accumualtor. Once they are off, remove the fittings as quickly as possible and have your 90⁰ fitting ready to go in as brake fluid will come raining down on you. I used a line wrench 10mm to break the lines free but then used a regular 10mm wrench to work more quickly as it is a little tight in space down there. Once you get your 90⁰ fitting in place. I used a pair of pliers to hold onto the 90⁰ fitting while I fully tightened the fittings that go into it. Their is a brake line clamp holding the hard line further up on the bell housing. Mine was not attached because they are a bitch to get to when pulling the trans and I just left it off. But I did move the clamp down the hard line and used it to hold the line using the upper rear hole from the accumulator that was not needed any more. It lined up perfect without really having to bend the hard line at all. Then just bleed the slave and you are done!
I have had both trucks out doing several hard pulls from a dig and no more grinding when shifting fast to 2nd
Screenshot_20240620_110143.jpg

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Recently did a mod on both trucks that I have known about for a long time but have never done because I really didnt think it would do much.
Im talking about the clutch accumulator delete. My biggest gripe with these trucks is how slow you have to shift to avoid grinding (mostly 2nd) when doing a hard pull. As I said, I was skeptical that this would help it as I was sure the issue was more on the internals of the trans.
Theirs a thread on tacomaworld about several different ways to connect the lines once the accumulator is removed but attached is the part I used.
I just cut off the bracket that comes attached to the 90⁰ fitting as its not needed. Basically you remove the 3-12mm bolts that attach the shield covering the slave cylinder. I then sprayed the bleed nipple on the slave cylinder and both fittings with penetrating oil and cracked all 3 loose to make sure they werent seized. Their are also 3-12mm bolts attaching the accumulator to the side of the trans. Once you have the line fittings that attach to it broken loose, snug them lightly to prevent leaking while removing the 12mm bolts that hold on the accumualtor. Once they are off, remove the fittings as quickly as possible and have your 90⁰ fitting ready to go in as brake fluid will come raining down on you. I used a line wrench 10mm to break the lines free but then used a regular 10mm wrench to work more quickly as it is a little tight in space down there. Once you get your 90⁰ fitting in place. I used a pair of pliers to hold onto the 90⁰ fitting while I fully tightened the fittings that go into it. Their is a brake line clamp holding the hard line further up on the bell housing. Mine was not attached because they are a bitch to get to when pulling the trans and I just left it off. But I did move the clamp down the hard line and used it to hold the line using the upper rear hole from the accumulator that was not needed any more. It lined up perfect without really having to bend the hard line at all. Then just bleed the slave and you are done!
I have had both trucks out doing several hard pulls from a dig and no more grinding when shifting fast to 2ndView attachment 23867
Any chance you have pics of the installed part? Or do I have to log into Tacomaworld :rolleyes:

gearhead899

Reaction score
Nice job on that Gearhead, any issues since install, and in your opinion is it worth it?
No issues on either truck. The feel of the pedal is pretty much the same. But the issue it seems to have fixed is when doing a pull and shifting fast. I always had to slow down my bang shift from 1st to 2nd or else it would grind and it doesnt do that any more. I can bang 2nd gear now way faster then I was able to previously with no grinding. So its totally worth it if you like to drive your truck hard

Billy182

Reaction score
No issues on either truck. The feel of the pedal is pretty much the same. But the issue it seems to have fixed is when doing a pull and shifting fast. I always had to slow down my bang shift from 1st to 2nd or else it would grind and it doesnt do that any more. I can bang 2nd gear now way faster then I was able to previously with no grinding. So its totally worth it if you like to drive your truck hard
Sounds great, I’ll definitely put that on my “to do” list. I always noticed the same issue 1st to 2nd, and thought it was an internal transmission weakness. As a result, I always drove it easy (and we all know that’s no fun).

Billy182

Reaction score
@gearhead899 , I’m changing some tires around today so I crawled under there while I had it up. Here’s a pic I took, and a quick question: the lines look a little far apart compared the the 90 degree elbow. Did you have to move or bend the upper line so it would reach, or will it just move over?
btw, it looks like I may be missing an attachment bolt from the accumulator ?
IMG_5381.jpeg

gearhead899

Reaction score
@gearhead899 , I’m changing some tires around today so I crawled under there while I had it up. Here’s a pic I took, and a quick question: the lines look a little far apart compared the the 90 degree elbow. Did you have to move or bend the upper line so it would reach, or will it just move over?
btw, it looks like I may be missing an attachment bolt from the accumulator ?
View attachment 23869
I always thought it was an internal issue with the grinding as well. I heard about this mod like 10 years ago but never bothered because I figured it wouldnt do anything lol
Yeah it looks like you are missing the lower bolt. Theirs 3 total, 1 on the bottom and 2 up top. But no big deal since you are deleting it. So I did have to bend the upper line very slightly to get everything to line up better but the lines bend pretty easy by hand

Top Bottom