Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Help! My truck is "fluttering"!

TX-X

Reaction score
On my way back from work yesterday, I noticed a "fluttering" noise coming from under the truck. Not a squeak, or rattle, but more like a plastic grocery bag wrapped around my driveshaft. At first, that's what I thought it was, but the sound persisted all the way home, and started to get louder, along with a low hum joining in before I made it to the house. Scared me pretty good, as I just knew my tranny was gonna seize up!

Looked all over under the truck this morning, but no bag. No leaks, everything looks to be in place, tried rocking the drive shaft; solid. Went ahead and and drained/changed my tranny fluid (first time, 67K - yeah, waited a bit long). Never have changed diff. fluid, and didn't have time to include that today. Tranny fluid looked good, not burned, didn't smell, not low, very little shavings on plug.

With new fluid in, took out for test, and noise still there. Increases with speed, still present when coasting in neutral, does not increase with speed when reved up while coasting in neutral. Sounds like around driveshaft/tranny area, but you know how hard it is to tell when you are driving. Louder for sure when rickochetting off parked cars/curb as I drive by.

Anyone have the same experience, or have suggestions as to what it might be?

TX-X

Reaction score
Yeah, seems like the common answer to everything tranny. Most people describe squealing and choppy shifting though. I have neither.

Top Bottom