Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How sway bars work, and why people use them.

DallasCowboys

Banned
Reaction score
I have an observation-based question for DallasCowboys here:

Usually when there's a discussion about mods in which you're involved. At some point it is mentioned how much weight you haul regularly, as if it applies to the mods involved. It's also been established that you're pretty performance oriented in your objectives. My question is, are you hauling ass while you're hauling all this stuff in your bed or are you trying to optimize your vehicle for two totally isolated scenarios (one being hauling work stuff, the other being hauling ass)?

My reason for asking is that from reading all of this sway bar info, it seems as if you're attributing your excessive body roll to the extra weight being hauled around. If you get this big beefy sway bar, you may love it when you have a large load (because it solves your problem) and hate it when you're "street racing" (provided there will be a lot of high-speed sharp turning) because it could cause you a new problem.
To answer your last comment. I believe that the sway bar will not cause the under steer as Xrunnit has said. Like I have said in previous posts that when I put a bigger sway bar on my previous mini trucks that the performance not only improved but it blew me away with the better handling. :top: And yes T.R. haulin ass and haulin ass. :laugh:

TitanRattler813

Reaction score
To answer your last comment. I believe that the sway bar will not cause the under steer as Xrunnit has said. Like I have said in previous posts that when I put a bigger sway bar on my previous mini trucks that the performance not only improved but it blew me away with the better handling. :top: And yes T.R. haulin ass and haulin ass. :laugh:

So in summary, you haul ass with or without your ginormous work load, and would like for you truck to perform ideally in either scenario... correct?

DallasCowboys

Banned
Reaction score
So in summary, you haul ass with or without your ginormous work load, and would like for you truck to perform ideally in either scenario... correct?
Yes. I guess you could say that I take it to the limits. Thanks for your comments.

TitanRattler813

Reaction score
Yes. I guess you could say that I take it to the limits. Thanks for your comments.

Gotcha :top:... just trying to get some perspective on your mods and some ideas you've had. You seem to have an interest in a few things that I think I might want, but don't necessarily need. I just drive to and from work and occasionally jump on a freeway,:dontknow: so my needs and yours are much, much different.

DallasCowboys

Banned
Reaction score
Gotcha :top:... just trying to get some perspective on your mods and some ideas you've had. You seem to have an interest in a few things that I think I might want, but don't necessarily need. I just drive to and from work and occasionally jump on a freeway,:dontknow: so my needs and yours are much, much different.
Sounds like you need a sound system mod. :laugh:

jaxchrisfla

Reaction score
you want to defend body roll, look into energy suspension and see if they will make more for our trucks. we already have the front sway bar bushings, look for more like cab mounts, and rear bushings. when your rear end slides out from under you and you wreck your truck, then you'll realize the bigger bar is not gonna help like you thought.

TitanRattler813

Reaction score
Sounds like you need a sound system mod. :laugh:

LOL... Well the big shiny rims didn't make me happy. Sound system "in progress" :biggrin:. Maybe I just need a big plush driver's seat equipped with heater/cooler and shiatsu massage :laugh:

YotaFab

Reaction score
sounds like we all need coilovers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and a 4 link!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DallasCowboys

Banned
Reaction score
LOL... Well the big shiny rims didn't make me happy. Sound system "in progress" :biggrin:. Maybe I just need a big plush driver's seat equipped with heater/cooler and shiatsu massage :laugh:
If they are chrome get rid of them. They are heavy and slow ya down. Too much rotating mass. Put them on E bay and let's get ya some Enkie light weight racing wheels. :rock:

TitanRattler813

Reaction score
If they are chrome get rid of them. They are heavy and slow ya down. Too much rotating mass. Put them on E bay and let's get ya some Enkie light weight racing wheels. :rock:

See avatar for before (chrome 22s)... see sig for after (powdercoated & pinstriped stockers) :biggrin:

DallasCowboys

Banned
Reaction score
See avatar for before (chrome 22s)... see sig for after (powdercoated & pinstriped stockers) :biggrin:
Well if you are not going to be running Enkies racing wheels your stockers are good lookin wheels and really like the powder coat. I was talkin to a buddy today about how are stockers are good lookin but to heavy for me.

XTruckDriver

Reaction score
Ok Guys,

I autocross and my truck suspension is stock. I think the X is pretty well balanced as it is.

If you put a bigger bar on the rear, you are going to lose rear traction coming out of the corners. It will probably help with understeer but I don't think it would be worth it.

If you put a bigger bar on the front, you will help with rear traction coming out of the corners but will probably increase understeer, again not really worth it.

The trick is to learn how to enter the turns slow enough not to slide the front and apply power gently enough not to have the rear-end spin too much. It takes a lot of practice (seat time).

Just my 2cents.

XrunnIT

Reaction score
Ok Guys,

I autocross and my truck suspension is stock. I think the X is pretty well balanced as it is.

If you put a bigger bar on the rear, you are going to lose rear traction coming out of the corners. It will probably help with understeer but I don't think it would be worth it.

If you put a bigger bar on the front, you will help with rear traction coming out of the corners but will probably increase understeer, again not really worth it.

The trick is to learn how to enter the turns slow enough not to slide the front and apply power gently enough not to have the rear-end spin too much. It takes a lot of practice (seat time).

Just my 2cents.

Very well said. people forget how important the 'driver mod' is. :driver:

That being said there is one factor that is out of the reach of the driver, and that is body roll.. so by stiffening up the front and rear, yet keeping the bias the same, you'll greatly reduce that.

And racing the X stock is the best form. H-Stock is the slowest class in autox, so with a good driver the truck will places well. :rock:

ntinhri

Reaction score
I personally like mine but stiffer leafs would be nice for me..

XTruckDriver

Reaction score
Very well said. people forget how important the 'driver mod' is. :driver:

That being said there is one factor that is out of the reach of the driver, and that is body roll.. so by stiffening up the front and rear, yet keeping the bias the same, you'll greatly reduce that.

And racing the X stock is the best form. H-Stock is the slowest class in autox, so with a good driver the truck will places well. :rock:

Yea, the Pax time is great. The last autocross I was in I was running in Pro class. I was 25 out of 35 in Pax in Pro. If I had run in Street Tire class which also runs by Pax time, I would have won that class. If I had run H Stock, I would have won that class on the street tires when everyone else was on R-Comps. I freaked a lot of people out in that pickup.

Of course it helped that it was a nice open fast national type course. If it had been a tight course I would have been screwed.

And yes, if you stiffened both ends of the truck up the same amount it would be fantastic. But of course after just getting out of an STi with a aftermarket adjustable rear sway-bar and lowering springs, I kind of like not bouncing around all the time, so I think I'll leave mine like it is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom