Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How to upgrade your diff

Nashman

Reaction score
Is it made of wood

maybe pine or is it a hard wood ?

shane881510

Reaction score
No 1 1/2" steel tubing and three bars ends with poly bushings with an adjustment on the bottem. It's like urds but all welded on brackets and a little shorter. I need to get a pic of it.

Nashman

Reaction score
Ya i want to build one but stock class in auto cross will not let me

shane881510

Reaction score
Yea that sucks. Traction bars should be allowed in all classes.

x-runner kid

Reaction score
Does anyone know what all the torque specs are for all the bolts? I know the ones are 35fl-lbs but don't know the others.

Nashman

Reaction score
tight lol with out shop key I don't know think i may have said it in one of my post or wrote it on the gear or something

the main cap bolts is the only one you need

(((((correction 70 foot pounds ))))) google told me that for both ring gear and main caps

Last edited:

Nashman

Reaction score
oh and add red lock tight to the ring gear bolts and if useing it drop your torq 10 pounds

i not sure if i used red lock tight with this install B i used to use it on toyota 8 inc spilne cone adjuster they deflected alot

the Tacoma diff is alot more robust with it's griddle caps

Last edited:

x-runner kid

Reaction score
tight lol with out shop key I don't know think i may have said it in one of my post or wrote it on the gear or something

the main cap bolts is the only one you need

(((((correction 70 foot pounds ))))) google told me that for both ring gear and main caps
Awesome I found another source on like tacoma world or something that had 63ft-lbs for the caps but I said fuck it and did 70ft-lbs. it's all back together just waiting on my new seal for the housing and it's all done. Wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. The hardest part was wiping the oil off the clutch discs to get my lash set. Only needed the heaviest and lightest shins. Got mine down to 005 like my goal. Left the coating (what was left of it) on the clutches as well. The pins were not very easy either but I have a lot of patience and got them lined up pretty easy. Whole process took me about 2 hours of just taking apart and getting the diff shimmed and torqued back down. Thank you very much for the write up Nashman. Can't wait to have my rear locking up like it should be!

blackote

Reaction score
Ressurecting an old post, but found this to be my next mod.. How is everyones kits holding up so far?

Nashman

Reaction score
mines still doing a great job and is much smoother now that is fully broken in i did switch to to redline rear diff fulid as well to give ti a try do far i like it

blackote

Reaction score
Been trying to get a hold of Weir Performance to order the kit but havent had any luck so far... Just did the Tundra/ISF upgrade on my brakes... So this upgrade is now top priority

blackote

Reaction score
Just placed my order today with WP, said the kit should be in before the weekend. Just to clarify, the shims are placed together where the stock adjusting shims are located (between differential case housing and thrust washer) adding to the thickness correct? You dont shim between the side gear/side thrustwasher?

Nashman

Reaction score
correct it's just like stock it's just tighter so it reacts faster then oem mine is on the loose side but still far tighter then oem spec's because I sand blasted my packs for a better bite

blackote

Reaction score
Sounds good.. im really excited to put this in, i think after this mod will be the traction bar... it would be best to do it at the same time, but knowing how i am i wont be able to wait

Nashman

Reaction score
i have the urd track bar and my truck still hops a fair bit in the rain

blackote

Reaction score
received my kit and will attempt to install it this weekend. For those that have done this mod, has everyones gear mesh and backlash measured out the same from prior to the install? Thats the only thing that is kinda worrying me with this. I know it would be best to keep everything in accordance with its initial install I.E. left side / right side. I was leaning towards installing the shims myself and then having a shop reinstall the LSD into the 3rd member just to make sure gear pattern is good. So far it looks like 3 others in this thread have success so maybe I wont need to take the 3rd member to anyone as long as I reinstall everything where it belongs

blackote

Reaction score
Just finished the install... wasnt bad as i thought... it definitely reminds me of my 240sx back when i installed a 2way. Thanks Nashman for the write up!

Never again will i do this on a driveway hahaha.. i think it would be easier using a lift.

Top Bottom