Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

If you have a supercharger, VISUALLY check your intercooler coolant!!!

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A quick update to my situation. Just got back from a week long business trip to Florida and I always come back and start the truck and let it run for a 10-15 minutes. Checked the reservoir tank and still not getting even a trickle of coolant flowing there. So, I started tearing things apart since it wasn't crazy cold outside.
  • First thing I did was replace the relay for the pump. The fuse in my multimeter blew so I wasn't able to test the relay. A new one was like $7.00 from AutoZone so I figured it was a cheap test. Swapped it out... still nothing.
  • I removed the hoses going to the intercooler - took the hose from the intercooler to the reservoir and ran water through it to make sure it wasn't clogged. All good.
  • Removed the intercooler from the supercharger and ran water through that. All good.
  • Removed the pump, brought it inside and hooked it to a 12V power source and it started running. I'm using a battery charger to power it and subsequent tests failed but the charger wouldn't let me run another test - it kept erroring out on the connection test.
  • I checked to make sure the ground going to the relay was still attached and the wire was good (not damaged).
Only thing I haven't done is check for clogs in the hose going from the pump to the intercooler (unlikely) and replace the pump. I'll probably order a pump tonight and try swapping that out.

I'm most concerned about not knowing how long this has been going on. I hope this doesn't result in another $1000 S/C rebuild. : /

wolfpack_5150

Jangley
Reaction score
A quick update to my situation. Just got back from a week long business trip to Florida and I always come back and start the truck and let it run for a 10-15 minutes. Checked the reservoir tank and still not getting even a trickle of coolant flowing there. So, I started tearing things apart since it wasn't crazy cold outside.
  • First thing I did was replace the relay for the pump. The fuse in my multimeter blew so I wasn't able to test the relay. A new one was like $7.00 from AutoZone so I figured it was a cheap test. Swapped it out... still nothing.
  • I removed the hoses going to the intercooler - took the hose from the intercooler to the reservoir and ran water through it to make sure it wasn't clogged. All good.
  • Removed the intercooler from the supercharger and ran water through that. All good.
  • Removed the pump, brought it inside and hooked it to a 12V power source and it started running. I'm using a battery charger to power it and subsequent tests failed but the charger wouldn't let me run another test - it kept erroring out on the connection test.
  • I checked to make sure the ground going to the relay was still attached and the wire was good (not damaged).
Only thing I haven't done is check for clogs in the hose going from the pump to the intercooler (unlikely) and replace the pump. I'll probably order a pump tonight and try swapping that out.

I'm most concerned about not knowing how long this has been going on. I hope this doesn't result in another $1000 S/C rebuild. : /

Crappy, as for the pump.... running a small bit of hose into some water (inlet side) might show if the pump is actually working or just making noise as Gadget has said happens.

Atleast u know it can be had for 93 bucks and not 500.

For the hoses, i bought a $20 borescope from amazon and was gunna use that, but i didnt have to after i found that inlet plug, and verified that it was the issue.

I also bought 4 gal of coolant just in case as i thought i may have to disconnect each hose 1by1 and fire up the pump while catching any coolant with a bucket and using a piece of clear 3/4" hose plumbed in with a plastic barb fitting to extend the end of said hose to reach bucket.

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score

Hopefully this is an easy fix, and all is good with the blower. That being said it might be worth investing in a gauge that measures inlet and outlet temperature of the I/C coolant like Coupe did in post #16 http://www.xr-underground.com/threa...k-your-intercooler-coolant.58036/#post-986671

I'm looking at a similar gauge by VEI Systems that more closely matches my Innovate gauges. They told me it would have to be a custom order because the temp sensors would have to be different to read the colder IC coolant temps. Quoted me $145. https://www.amazon.com/VEI-Systems-Dual-Display-gauge-temperature/dp/B00Z23JXX0/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1485804819&sr=8-19&keywords=vei+systems+water+temperature+gauge&th=1

Reaction score
It's almost become too many gauges. I thought about an integrated screen for all the ones I want to run.

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
It's almost become too many gauges. I thought about an integrated screen for all the ones I want to run.
I know right.....I've already got AFR (x2) on a flexpod, Boost/vac/shift light, and oil pressure/oil temp in an A-Pillar pod , and still want to add fuel pressure, and intercooler in/out temp, and a third to fill out a custom panel forward of the shift boot.

Reaction score
I know right.....I've already got AFR (x2) on a flexpod, Boost/vac/shift light, and oil pressure/oil temp in an A-Pillar pod , and still want to add fuel pressure, and intercooler in/out temp, and a third to fill out a custom panel forward of the shift boot.

I'm currently running a boost gauge and fuel pressure gauge (not hooked up). I still need an AFR but I don't want to use a pillar pod. I already had a Lotech pod and ditched it before installing it because I didn't like how the pod looked on the pillar. I considered using a Zeitronix nDash but I have no motivation to spend money on this truck.

NDash_%20(7).JPG

HAMHAWK_JAY

Reaction score
I'm currently running a boost gauge and fuel pressure gauge (not hooked up). I still need an AFR but I don't want to use a pillar pod. I already had a Lotech pod and ditched it before installing it because I didn't like how the pod looked on the pillar. I considered using a Zeitronix nDash but I have no motivation to spend money on this truck.

NDash_%20(7).JPG
This would fit hella nice in front of the shifter instead of loose change and reciepts i keep there

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hopefully this is an easy fix, and all is good with the blower.

Got the new pump in today at 5:00 - installed it in about 10 minutes. Problem solved; I have good cirulcation of coolant again going through the reservoir. I will say that I could tell a difference in color in the coolant so next day that it's not cold as balls I'm going to completely flush it.

Crazy to see this post and then the OP didn't have a pump go bad, but I did.

That being said it might be worth investing in a gauge that measures inlet and outlet temperature of the I/C coolant like Coupe did in post #16 http://www.xr-underground.com/threa...k-your-intercooler-coolant.58036/#post-986671

Yeah I may have to... but am running into the same problem as you guys - and it's a silly problem for a system that isn't pushing that much boost --- gauge overload.

wolfpack_5150

Jangley
Reaction score
Got the new pump in today at 5:00 - installed it in about 10 minutes. Problem solved; I have good cirulcation of coolant again going through the reservoir. I will say that I could tell a difference in color in the coolant so next day that it's not cold as balls I'm going to completely flush it.

Crazy to see this post and then the OP didn't have a pump go bad, but I did.

Yeah I may have to... but am running into the same problem as you guys - and it's a silly problem for a system that isn't pushing that much boost --- gauge overload.
Glad u got it.

Yeah, i was totally assuming it was my pump too.... because WHO LEAVES THOSE CAPS ON? Right?

I guess the pump could be bad too.... 1 day ill test

Top Bottom