Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Making it Stick: Suspension Tuning

XrunnIT

Reaction score
So lately there has been a ton of questions regarding which drop is best for this, which is best of that. Below are 6 articles that will go through and explain how performance suspension tuning is done.

Making It Stick Part 1: Four basic steps to better handling

Making It Stick Part 2: Four more steps to better handling

Making It Stick Part 3: It's all in the geometry

Making It Stick Part 4: More lessons in suspension geometry

Making It Stick Part 5: Damper fundamentals

Making It Stick Part 6: More advanced dampers

As far as putting a performance drop on our truck, we are still lacking for aftermarket support in many of these fields. But on the contrary Toyota did a lot better then most give credit for in designing our current suspension. The geometry was so precisely dialed in, that any changes we do will upset that. Now there is always the give/take when putting a new mod on, so while we'll make one aspect better, we are sacrificing in another that may or may not be directly related.

Feel free to post the pros and cons of your drop. I will add those to this post for future reference. :top:

blastap

Reaction score
great read! djm=bump steer , if there was a way to raise the rack and pinion about an inch this would make the djm really shine

X-R/R6

Reaction score
Waiting to install S.S. Performance drop. Went with coils, leafs, sway bars, QA1... was wondering if anyone has had any trouble with using stock struts, or any suggestions on who makes a performance strut to compensate for the drop?

Murderface

Reaction score
There is no aftermarket strut available for our trucks. Had SS coils on my truck for 4 years now with no issues

CBRBob

Reaction score
It's mean to use the stock struts, no aftermarket ones yet.

sixstringdave

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the alignment specs should be on our trucks?

That way i can print it out and show the shop what i want

sixstringdave

Reaction score
Thanks for directing me there Sn3akrs, but my question is still not answered. Unless you are saying the pic you posted there is the stock specs??

Maybe nobody knows??

autobodyX

Reaction score
5.15 + or - 0.75 degrees for caster, -0.64 + or - 0.75 degrees camber, 0.03 + or - 0.5 degrees toe

or

5 1/8 + or - 3/4 caster
-5/8 +or - 3/4 camber
1/64 + or - 5/32 toe
if you like inches

lamia2super

Reaction score
i picked up a Xii rear sway used and i was wondering what setting you recommend? the soft, medium, or stiff rear setting ?

Top Bottom