Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

might need new engine

OaklandFD3S

Reaction score
So somehow my truck at 117k has developed a pretty bad knocking noise...it's getting diagnosed at Toyota right now and it very might well be something in the block, but could be something in the head (let's hope so but most likely the block). Engine still runs fine, hasn't grenaded yet.

What would be the best option at this point? Have the block rebuilt? I am also open to swaps if there are some well documented cars out there with good results...anyone ever do an LSX swap on one of these? I already have a 2jzgte in another car but could be open to it if it's possible. I've done a search and it doesn't look like many people have done it or have parts available.

Gadget

Reaction score
The easiest thing to do is find a good used engine and drop that in there and move on.

Unless you are really going to build the engine I would not take one apart.

G

OaklandFD3S

Reaction score
The easiest thing to do is find a good used engine and drop that in there and move on.

Unless you are really going to build the engine I would not take one apart.

G

do you have a recommended source for the stock engine?

Gadget

Reaction score
You can always call Gadget's used engine supply.

G

OaklandFD3S

Reaction score
is it not possible to use a non x-runner engine? I keep seeing websites that differentiate between having a U as the fifth digit in the VIN

Gadget

Reaction score
You can use any 1GR engine. You will just have to swap out the oil pan parts.

Doublld

Reaction score
So somehow my truck at 117k has developed a pretty bad knocking noise...it's getting diagnosed at Toyota right now and it very might well be something in the block, but could be something in the head (let's hope so but most likely the block). Engine still runs fine, hasn't grenaded yet.

What would be the best option at this point? Have the block rebuilt? I am also open to swaps if there are some well documented cars out there with good results...anyone ever do an LSX swap on one of these? I already have a 2jzgte in another car but could be open to it if it's possible. I've done a search and it doesn't look like many people have done it or have parts available.

im doin a ls swap. builing the 1gr is so expensive ive already done it. not worth it.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
is it not possible to use a non x-runner engine? I keep seeing websites that differentiate between having a U as the fifth digit in the VIN

You can use any 1GR engine. You will just have to swap out the oil pan parts.

To add, the '03-'04 1gr (4Runner) , has to have the intake cam gears swapped from your current engine, as well as the sensors for the cam gears.

1GR that is dual VVT from the '09 4Runner will not work.

OaklandFD3S

Reaction score
thanks for all the info guys! especially you gadget, answering my same question in more than one place :)

blu xr

Reaction score
b13 swap!

j/k lol. I always figured i'd do a 2jzgte swap if the xr died, but they are really getting pricy, especially w/ the 6. speed v160 or v161.

any word from toyota?

05X-Runner

Reaction score
b13 swap!

j/k lol. I always figured i'd do a 2jzgte swap if the xr died, but they are really getting pricy, especially w/ the 6. speed v160 or v161.

any word from toyota?

You should drive one with a properly installed and tuned 2jZ swap. It will change your life!

Top Bottom