Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Need Help decideing for a Mid Size SUV

Hitman

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals :) stuck in another dilemma Ive so far narrowed it down to 4 vehicles but any more choices or input on other vehicles would be greatly appreciated the:

GMC Terrain - reason lots of features, and bold aggressive look cant decide which engine type to go with and ive never owned any other vehicle besides a Toyota so not sure how reliable the engines are my reason of thinking is as long as you treat your vehicle with the proper maintenance you should have no problems lol

Toyota Highlander - reason 3 row seating, hybird version, Toyota engine reliability

Nissan Juke - possibly helpful with the raising gas prices

Toyota Rav4 - reason 3 row seating, compact another possible for raising gas prices

my wife currently has a 2002 Xterra but her mother is needing a vehicle, so we discussed about it and decided we can give her the Xterra and we can go looking for a vehicle we currently live about 20 miles away from work what do you guys think about these vehicles so far any experiance with them or maybe know friends/family any other vehicles that are like these

TahoesHateMe

Reaction score
The place I work for also has a GMC dealer. I'll ask around.

I like the new Rav 4s. The 3.5 v6 is a fun version. Haven't drove one since 06. Haven't paid attention to the 2012s.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
We have a 03 Honda pilot. 8 passenger, awd with locking center/rear diff. 110k miles, and the only issue we have had, honestly...is the driverside left hand ac vent won't stay centered...lol

I can safely say, that thing has been in places where my friends grand Cherokee couldnt go. I hate Hondas, but this thing won't quit...get about 19mpg combined.

Pilot is a unibody suv, rides and drives like a car....it's just as happy in traffic, As it was forging through sand/mud, that swallowed up a grand Cherokee on 31s...

Bought it brand new, in 02...second one to hit SD showrooms...it gets a big thumbs up from me:top:

3.5l v6 rav 4...fastest thing Toyota curtly makes...lol...nice sleeper imho

Xer0 SiN

Reaction score
suv...i would say 4runner...enough said...EASILY worth the price of admisson...another choice i would recommend even though its not a suv per se...is a forester...excellent storage room, a lot of clearance, awd, and two engine choices (na and boosted)...im convinced and bought into the hype that im looking for a forester as we speak ;)

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
Well Unless chrysler has yet to fix the tranny issue...Jeep srt8 ftw......lol...

Nice choices though and i would go with the hybrid from your list.

Gadget

Reaction score
Take a look at used 4Runners, 2009 and earlier. Very nice vehicle and at a good price point.

I got a 2006 used and love it. It is my daily driver and used it to develop the supercharger system.

It will get 20+ MPG at 80 MPH on my repeated road trips to FL.

My wife recently got a Rav4 Sport V6. That thing scoots!! She has an overall MPG average of 25 MPG since new. One tip, skip the run flat tires. That is just a nightmare. Sounded like a good idea, but proved to suck. You can only get that tire from a Toyota dealer and they don't stock them. They have to order them in from the Depot and that can leave you hanging for a few days if you gash one open. The ones with the run flats have no spare so you just sit and wait.

G

trd_sport

Reaction score
We had a chevy traverse on a recent trip, I believe its rated about 25hp more than the terrain and it seemed very underpowered when fully loaded. I bring some friends on a test drive to see how they feel when fully loaded. good luck.

Jay Swift

"The Philippine Bean"
Reaction score
Vote for the 4runner here :rolleyez: but yeah a 4R with 3rd row, either 4th or 5th gen

Compared to my old X, I get great mpg with my 5th gen 4R. I don't have the 3rd row but wish I did sometimes since they fold flat anyways but still an awesome SUV :top:

RRCanuck

Reaction score
I would personally stick with Toyota when it comes to SUVs and Crossovers. I owned a 98 4R and I loved that truck to death. I wish I never got rid of it. A close friend of mine also had an 01 Highlander and only retired the thing due to high mileage (+220k miles). It was a great truck as well with no major issues. Your going to pay a little more going with Toyota but you get a lot of truck for the money in my opinion.

braves011

"Crouching Tiger"
Reaction score
I would vote the highlander, only drawback is you looking at 40k new for a base model.

4runners are nice but again are kinda pricey and you don't get very many options.

Rav4, very quick, but again like the other Toyota's they are awful expensive for the lack of options you get.

The Juke..... haven't gone in depth to looking at them but hear they are a fun ride.

my advice is look at a FX35, the reliability on them is off the charts awesome, and if your on a budget you can pick one up for under 15k and your gonne get power everything, leather and all the bells and whistles.

X-roller

Reaction score
Used_Porsche_Cayenne_turbo_TECHART_SUV_2008.jpg

600 hp of goodness STOCK... This things move the f out... I launched one when I was working at lexus and man that thing puts a smile on your face either my g force by pulling your face back or by you doing it purposely....

braves011

"Crouching Tiger"
Reaction score
Used_Porsche_Cayenne_turbo_TECHART_SUV_2008.jpg

600 hp of goodness STOCK... This things move the f out... I launched one when I was working at lexus and man that thing puts a smile on your face either my g force by pulling your face back or by you doing it purposely....

I think I need to change my shorts:rockon:

Hitman

Reaction score
Shoot I wish I had the money for that beauty!!!! but i got to be realistic lol

as for traveling it will basically be used for going to trips to California or Flagstaff, Payson so the elevation is a bit higher so i do need some power i figure a V6 is enough

Xoverdose

Reaction score
My vote is for the Highlander, its a great car to get around in. We just turned our 2011 Limited back in and got a Sequoia (company lease so we get new cars every year). Im 6'4'' and had no problem fitting in the middle row, the third row is pretty much useless on all of the midsize SUV's unless you have real small kids. We never had any trouble with it and would get about 19mpg in the city and had no problem getting 23 to 24 on the highway.

We also had a hybrid version a few years ago, cant say I was a huge fan of it. My mom loved it though it. It was the last generation and quite a bit smaller than the new ones. I didnt really fit in the middle row of that one haha.

Top Bottom