Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Oil Pressure Sensor Under Filter Plate

StreetTaco

Reaction score
I am trying to add an oil pressure sensor in the in place of the right side allen-keyed plug under the oil filter plate. I found the info and have purchased a 1/2" male NPT to 1/8" female NPT adapter/bushing. I first tried to thread the adapter/sensor combination as a unit but was blocked by filter drain spout. I then tried to put just the adapter in but cannot tell if I have sufficiently threaded the adapter into the port for lack of clearance for a wrench and I cannot tread the sensor into the adapter for lack of clearance from the filter drain spout. I have found a different adapter that does not have wrench contacts but I am concerned that if I have to remove the sensor it will remain in filter housing and then create problems reinstalling. Does anyone who has done this have suggestions for accomplishing this? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Filter Plug.png
    Filter Plug.png
    282.8 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

mejbro

Reaction score
Never done anything like this, but I'm familiar with NPT, BSP, JIC, and more fittings. NPT threads are tapered so 1) I'm surprised to know that we had a potential fitting there and 2) I would put a sealant or thread tape to be sure not to leak. I just looked at mine and it looks like the drain nipple is a dissimilar metal from the oil filter plate. Maybe you can use the appropriate punch and remove that nipple. If you can't get a wrench on it, you may be able use a small pipe wrench. I was able to wiggle my pipe wrench between the plate and radiator hose, that is, after removing the fan shroud and fan.

StreetTaco

Reaction score
Finally got to figuring this out. While attempting to press out the drain spout with a very large pair of channel-locks I bent the spout a bit and a lightbulb went off. Grabbed a small box end wrench and continued to bent the spout and managed to get enough clearance to install the bushing then the sensor. I don't have a 7/8" open end and no clearance for a socket, so a crescent wrench worked to tighten it all up using the sensor to tighten the bushing then the sensor itself.

Attachments

• 20221029_200302.jpg
    20221029_200302.jpg
    524 KB · Views: 109

Hawk373

Reaction score
I used one of these at the oil pressure sensor. Don’t think I had those clearance issues. I’ll have to look tomorrow.

GlowShift 1/8 BSPT Male to 1/8-27 NPT Female Hex Universal Sensor Thread Adapter Reducer https://a.co/d/5XOmw2T

Not the spot you’re looking to use, but has multiple spots to install sensors or oil supply, just not deep enough for most thermocouples.
4260B8A9-3108-46C8-A37A-E3E548701A48.jpeg
5CB72E3F-6FCB-43C3-82F4-9DEB12D83F64.jpeg
5C676C0B-5832-4299-8FF1-929F8BF73861.jpeg

Last edited:

StreetTaco

Reaction score
I went to the stock oil pressure location first to do exactly as you have done, but I am supercharged and any added height from the add-in-junction creates issues with the supercharger belt. I had to search for another location and is how I ended up with this solution.

Hawk373

Reaction score
I went to the stock oil pressure location first to do exactly as you have done, but I am supercharged and any added height from the add-in-junction creates issues with the supercharger belt. I had to search for another location and is how I ended up with this solution.
I see. I was similarly disappointed I’d have to use a sandwich plate to install an oil temp gauge due to thermocouple length.

2GR guys have all sorts of cool shit like this adapter plate. Never ventured to see if the 1GR is similar or the same.

C1853476-5922-4F60-9B99-29B864FFDBD4.jpeg

StreetTaco

Reaction score
THAT would be awesome! Did get to wondering if I could have fit your adapter into my location.

Top Bottom