Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

oil specs. wrong..

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
5 Qts is the correct amount of oil with a filter change.

i usually end up with right under 5 qts when i change mine. puts me right under the 2nd dot on the dipstick. 5 would be fine i am sure, but 6 would be way too much

Stevenredx

Reaction score
This isn't the first time this has been debated :laugh:

The book calls for 4.8 qts with filter change... i pour in the whole 5 qt jug and call it day. I've been told by some that it takes 6 and the owners manual is incorrect. I'm not calling them wrong but if my motor blows up due to not having enough oil you better believe i'll have them drain my oil and tell me how many qts is there... if they wanna tell me it takes more than that i'll tell them to check the manual.

Murderface

Reaction score
i put 5 QTs of Amsoil in my truck back in June and it still says a kunt hair below the full line:top:

quickshift93

Reaction score
toyota puts in 6 quarts into a dry motor. when you drain it for an oil change your not getting a dry motor anymore.. 5 quarts exact keeps you right were you need to be :)

Murdered X

Reaction score
On a few of the models with the 4.0L in them they do take 5.5 qts because they have the oil cooler. Mine takes 4.8 qts. I manage an oil change shop and do at least 20 4 liters a month here some 4.8 qts some take 5.5. When I look them up on my computer it says 5.5 for 05 and 06 x-runner and 4.8 for 07 and 08 x-runner.:dontknow:

My68ur8trd

Reaction score
it supposed to be in between the two dots.

the lower dot is the "fill" dot, anything over that, but below the upper dot should be fine :top:

Justin

ceemeetwo

Reaction score
Hey here is a plain and simple way to get the amount of oil that your truck takes right....k ready here it goes....remove the D3 oil filter but do not install the new one yet!...lift up the truck by whatever means necesary or crawl under it and drain the oil...let the oil drain untill it drips or stops dripping whatever our preference is...then reinstall the drainplug with a new gasket and tighten it up...then get out from under the truck and grab the new oil filter either a D3 or a G1 (the G1 is what they use on the 3.4 and some other motors and is also smaller height wise than the D3 filter and glossy so it will add a lil bit of gloss to your engine bay :top:) and screw it on hand tight...remove the oil cap and pour in 4.5 quarts of your favorite oil, then start the engine and let it run for 30 to 45 seconds to circulate the oil and fill the oil filter...shut the truck off and let it sit for a few seconds then check the dipstick...if it is low than add another .5 quart of your favorite oil and recheck the dipstick still low? Add another .5 quart of your favorite oil and recheck the dipstick...still low???!?! Proceed by adding another .5 quart of your favorite oil and rechecking the dipstick...between the 4.5 quarts of oil and 6 quarts of oil you should have reached the middle of the dipstick or the uppermost dot. Enjoy!!!:rockon: I work at Street Toyota in Amarillo, TX and in all the 4.0L 05-09 Tacomas, including my X, our digital readout oil despencing guns all read 6 quarts by the time im done changing the oil using the D3 oil filter and that fills them to the top dot on the dipstick...we have never had any issues reguarding damage done to the engines when using this amount and imo i was taught that the bottom dot ment "low" inbetween the dots ment "ok" and the top dot ment "full"...YES the book is wrong! But common sence by checking the dipstick cant be wrong can it? Im neither taking a side in this post nor bashing one. Everybody has their own way of doing things, thats what makes us unique. DISCLAIMER: This post is strictly "In my opinion, with all due respect, I think that..."

Tapp

Reaction score
Hey here is a plain and simple way to get the amount of oil that your truck takes right....k ready here it goes....remove the D3 oil filter but do not install the new one yet!...lift up the truck by whatever means necesary or crawl under it and drain the oil...let the oil drain untill it drips or stops dripping whatever our preference is...then reinstall the drainplug with a new gasket and tighten it up...then get out from under the truck and grab the new oil filter either a D3 or a G1 (the G1 is what they use on the 3.4 and some other motors and is also smaller height wise than the D3 filter and glossy so it will add a lil bit of gloss to your engine bay :top:) and screw it on hand tight...remove the oil cap and pour in 4.5 quarts of your favorite oil, then start the engine and let it run for 30 to 45 seconds to circulate the oil and fill the oil filter...shut the truck off and let it sit for a few seconds then check the dipstick...if it is low than add another .5 quart of your favorite oil and recheck the dipstick still low? Add another .5 quart of your favorite oil and recheck the dipstick...still low???!?! Proceed by adding another .5 quart of your favorite oil and rechecking the dipstick...between the 4.5 quarts of oil and 6 quarts of oil you should have reached the middle of the dipstick or the uppermost dot. Enjoy!!!:rockon: I work at Street Toyota in Amarillo, TX and in all the 4.0L 05-09 Tacomas, including my X, our digital readout oil despencing guns all read 6 quarts by the time im done changing the oil using the D3 oil filter and that fills them to the top dot on the dipstick...we have never had any issues reguarding damage done to the engines when using this amount and imo i was taught that the bottom dot ment "low" inbetween the dots ment "ok" and the top dot ment "full"...YES the book is wrong! But common sence by checking the dipstick cant be wrong can it? Im neither taking a side in this post nor bashing one. Everybody has their own way of doing things, thats what makes us unique. DISCLAIMER: This post is strictly "In my opinion, with all due respect, I think that..."

much respect bro!!

Murdered X

Reaction score
Hey now we all know how to change oil!:top:

Tapp

Reaction score
well between traveling and spending time with the family.. when i went to toyota to ask about the oil thing.. my truck takes 5.5qts to be at the "full" mark!!!

Reaction score
The book in my '07 X says 5.6L including filter. By the way when I did the first change based on that, I ended up pretty high. Actually I still can not ever get a solid read on the dipstick no matter what i do oil is splashed all up the stick. Also I did not have the truck on a lift the front end was a bit higher than the back, not sure if that would have trapped any substantial oil.

Last edited:

x-runner kid

Reaction score
Wow this is a old thread. Put in 5qts you should be good. Yes the 4x4 models take more oil due to a larger oil pan from what I know at least. Make sure your truck is not on when you check you oil level. Pull the stick and clean it then place it in the engine once more and count to 10 then remove it and check it again. Should be good to go.

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been on this forum almost since its inception, and I've never seen this thread, LOL. That being said, I've got 160,000 miles on my truck and have put in 5 qts every change every time. Seems to be doing the trick.

Top Bottom