Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

PCV System & Oil Catch Can

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
So just to update you guys on the effectiveness of the can. I serviced it today at just a hair over 3000 miles since I installed it.

And 1/2 cup of oil was in it.:ahhhhh: 1/2 cup of oil that otherwise would have been gummed up on the intercooler and burnt in the motor. Pretty crazy:laugh:

Amazing isn't it??? And to think this is common knowledge in race communities, yet the general public is left out of the loop. Then question it's effectiveness when brought up the advantages.

I might get my mom one for her new car. Just to help keep things extra clean, longer:top:

c0astie31

Reaction score
i did a oil change saturday, and i had a little under a cup of oil drained, i am happy with my install

zr2ee

Reaction score
hmmm so my dumb ass just learned about catch can's and now understands why my intake and MAF kept getting all sorts of greased up and my engine bay is always dirty.......

so just to be clear even though i just read through the thread, best placement for a catch can on a turbo setup is the passanger side and a check valve is still required to keep the boost pressure from entering the crank case since its above atmosphere before the intake manifold, and you just cap off the drivers side or you put a breather on it?

seems a breather on the drivers might help eliviate any boost that slips past the check valve on the passenger side....not sure how it would satisfy the MAF though

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
hmmm so my dumb ass just learned about catch can's and now understands why my intake and MAF kept getting all sorts of greased up and my engine bay is always dirty.......

so just to be clear even though i just read through the thread, best placement for a catch can on a turbo setup is the passanger side and a check valve is still required to keep the boost pressure from entering the crank case since its above atmosphere before the intake manifold, and you just cap off the drivers side or you put a breather on it?

seems a breather on the drivers might help eliviate any boost that slips past the check valve on the passenger side....not sure how it would satisfy the MAF though

Lol. Sometimes it takes us a while to find these threads. Where you want to put the catch can is on the driver side as well. In line between the driver valve cover and the intake manifold. So...out of the driver side valve cover, into the catch can, out of the catch can, into the manifold with check valve only allowing air to flow into the manifold somewhere in that line.

I can post a pic in up later tonight.

5000XD

Reaction score
I have an idea how this should be, but please do post a picture for people as stupid as I :top:

zr2ee

Reaction score
that would be awesome thanks mark, my truck goes into the shop monday for the front mount conversion so i want to talk to him and have him put some in, we already talked about replacing the PCV valve. definately don't want my stuff being gummed up by oil but i think my biggest concern is a secondary relief if the check valve fails

Coupe

Reaction score
I put one on in December, when I added a blower. I had about a half cup of oil in mine at the next oil change.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Once I get my truck back form the shop, I take some pics and post them up

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Here you can see the "fresh air" filter on the driver side which would normally have a hose connected to the intake. Since my intake "pushes" air before the TB, I would have to have the previously mentioned hose connected to before the turbo. Didn't feel like running a hose that far. The vacuum from the motor will pull air through the filter just fine.

CIMG2970.jpg

Follow the blue hoses and you can see how they go. You can also see the check valve so that I do boost air into the crank case. It is between the intake manifold and the catch can.

CIMG2971.jpg

Last edited:

Super Werty

Reaction score
^ is that the new nst product I see? hard to tell from that angle

Gadget

Reaction score
It must be. Look at the plenum support bracket that does not line up any more. It seems that the plenum is sitting just a little higher than normal.

G

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't see any thing...

Gadget, I need to call you tomorrow about that package that needs to ship also. Still waiting and ready.

Super Werty

Reaction score
It must be. Look at the plenum support bracket that does not line up any more. It seems that the plenum is sitting just a little higher than normal.

G

ah yes, I didnt see that at first. Looks like we just got a sneak peek:laugh::rock:

zr2ee

Reaction score
where is that line right after the MAF sensor going to? the one that normally goes to the passenger valve cover where that breather is

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
where is that line right after the MAF sensor going to? the one that normally goes to the passenger valve cover where that breather is

That is going to my boost controller soleniod. It is not a good idea to run that line to the passenger valve cover at all. Otherwise you run the risk of being able to pressurize the crank case. The PCV setup that STS sent to fit there should be removed. If it fails then you will pressurize

Coupe

Reaction score
I had to pull the blower off recently, to put on new valve covers. This is a pic of my intercooler after 4K miles and using a catch can.

ValveCovers028.jpg

Super Werty

Reaction score
So Coupe....

When are you going to design a IC that sits under the blower like the stang's:biggrin::rockon:

042.jpg

joelkustoms

Reaction score
correct me if Im wrong, the catch can should be installed on the driver side valve cover and intake bung because the other side is just clean air that enters the valve cover. I have one question, the catch can has o be pressurized (closed) or it can have a filter on top?

Top Bottom