Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Replacement synchronizers?

justin13703

Reaction score
So with the current situation with my truck and the transmission problem, and not getting any help from Toyota, I think I'm just going to get it fixed myself. So my question is, what's the best option for replacing synchro's in the stock trans? Should I go with factory ones? Or are there better aftermarket ones available out there? Trying to keep this issue from ever coming up again.

darthyota

Reaction score
I think the t56 swap is about the only true solution to the issue if you can get one

Jaxpiercer904

Reaction score
There's a guy on the x runner owners Facebook that was selling a t56 adapter kit

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
its a rebuild kit. syncros and bearings and the rest of the parts needed to rebuild the tranny i beleive. thats all i found when i searched online

Typical Rear Wheel Drive, Standard Transmission Bearing & Synchronizer Kit includes:
Input Shaft bearings, Main Shaft bearings, Counter Shaft bearings, Pocket bearing, Synchronizer Rings, Shift Fork Inserts, Gaskets, Seals, and small parts as required for a normal transmission rebuild.

Last edited:

gunner76137

Reaction score
Make sure you get someone to do it that knows what they are doing.
Toyota doesnt even reccomend rebuilding.
Thats why I got rid of my 05, the guy that I had do mine hosed it up so bad it was never the same. And thats all he did was rebuild trannys.

justin13703

Reaction score
Make sure you get someone to do it that knows what they are doing.
Toyota doesnt even reccomend rebuilding.
Thats why I got rid of my 05, the guy that I had do mine hosed it up so bad it was never the same. And thats all he did was rebuild trannys.

Toyota doesn't recommend rebuilding cause they'd rather charge you 5k for a new transmission lol. But I'll just be doing synchros so it shouldn't be as in depth as a complete rebuild. Really the only problem it had was grinding 5th so I figure while it's out I might as well fix it

Xrunner Drifter

Reaction score
Are you going with that kit or using a different one.
Which every route you go can you let us know, good info could help all of us.
When its time to rebuild or replace our transmissions.

justin13703

Reaction score
Are you going with that kit or using a different one.
Which every route you go can you let us know, good info could help all of us.
When its time to rebuild or replace our transmissions.

I went to the dealership today to see if you could even buy synchronizers from them. You can, and they're 35 each. So I'll probably pick up a couple and give it a shot. Won't be any worse off than I am now.

Nocturnal Emission

Reaction score
Definately let us know how it turns cuz if it turns out good, then i will try it myselfe. 2nd and 5th grind if i dont keep the clutch pressed down for for a few seconds before shifting.

lingenfelterm

Reaction score
New Synchronizers / Rebuild

Alright, I've been searching like a mad man in the year since I've had my truck for information on our transmissions. My 05' only had 60k on the odometer when I bought it and had major grind issues in 3rd and 4th no matter how I shift. Some RedLine gear oil helped, but still had problems. I've gotten better at finding a sweet spot in the RPM's to shift at and can usually avoid the notorious 3rd gear grind, though once the car is fully warmed up it's much harder to avoid. I also have the infamous throwout bearing chirp. I've purchased the URD TOB kit and a URD stage 2 clutch and plan to put have these put in and the synchros replaced as soon as school is out (I'm a teacher). Finding parts/information and rebuild kits for our transmissions is a nightmare. I went to my dealer and they gave me a blown up diagram of all the inner gearings of the transmission. They quoted me 150 bucks for the 3rd and 4th gear synchros but I really want to replace all of them while we're in there because 2nd, 5th, and 6th also have occasional problems. I found a rebuild kit that had sold recently on ebay labeled as an RA60 rebuild kit for 05+ 6 speed Tacomas. With all the searching I've done, it appears that the synchro rings in the 2WD and 4WD are the same, the difference in the different rebuild kits is the bearings. Using the photo from this kit, I was able to go to www.parts.toyotaofdallas.com and look up each of the synchro ring part numbers and ordered them. They were $258 shipped. I'll be taking my truck to a mechanic I've been using for 12 years now. He rebuilt the 5spd in my 93 300ZX about 4 years ago and did a great job. Fingers are crossed that all goes well and I'll update and let you guys know how everything goes.

Attachments

• URD Clutch.jpg
    URD Clutch.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 367
  • RA60 Rebuild Kit.jpg
    RA60 Rebuild Kit.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 491

justin13703

Reaction score
Alright, I've been searching like a mad man in the year since I've had my truck for information on our transmissions. My 05' only had 60k on the odometer when I bought it and had major grind issues in 3rd and 4th no matter how I shift. Some RedLine gear oil helped, but still had problems. I've gotten better at finding a sweet spot in the RPM's to shift at and can usually avoid the notorious 3rd gear grind, though once the car is fully warmed up it's much harder to avoid. I also have the infamous throwout bearing chirp. I've purchased the URD TOB kit and a URD stage 2 clutch and plan to put have these put in and the synchros replaced as soon as school is out (I'm a teacher). Finding parts/information and rebuild kits for our transmissions is a nightmare. I went to my dealer and they gave me a blown up diagram of all the inner gearings of the transmission. They quoted me 150 bucks for the 3rd and 4th gear synchros but I really want to replace all of them while we're in there because 2nd, 5th, and 6th also have occasional problems. I found a rebuild kit that had sold recently on ebay labeled as an RA60 rebuild kit for 05+ 6 speed Tacomas. With all the searching I've done, it appears that the synchro rings in the 2WD and 4WD are the same, the difference in the different rebuild kits is the bearings. Using the photo from this kit, I was able to go to www.parts.toyotaofdallas.com and look up each of the synchro ring part numbers and ordered them. They were $258 shipped. I'll be taking my truck to a mechanic I've been using for 12 years now. He rebuilt the 5spd in my 93 300ZX about 4 years ago and did a great job. Fingers are crossed that all goes well and I'll update and let you guys know how everything goes.

Hopefully your guy can get it figured out. I never bothered with doing this after hearing all about the nightmares of trying to do it. Gadget hooked me up on another transmission and I just replaced the whole thing.

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
The only issue I see with rebuilding them is that most likely you are just replacing crappy parts with new crappy parts. I think there is some major design issues with the transmission that some replacement parts just won't fix.
The problem can show up with low miles. I wouldn't expect to get much life, and better performance out of the rebuild. Hopefully that's not the case.
Good luck with the rebuild, and I hope it fixes some of your problems.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
If you bought your truck used, there is no telling how it was driven, compared to how you drive. Either of those can have animpact on the life expectancy of the gears. What I hope for, is that newer updated parts now supersede the older style parts. That these parts will last longer. Keep us posted on how the rebuild goes, as well as mileage updates.

rennurx

Reaction score
Cheaper to buy new than rebuild most of the time.

Gadget

Reaction score
I do not know of anyone that has taken one of those transmissions apart, replaced syncros and gotten it back together successfully yet. Many have tried and ended up in worse shape.

G

lingenfelterm

Reaction score
Trans.

I understand that this isn't the most well built or thought out transmission out there. It's definitely not near the quality of say, the old W58 I had in my 82 Supra. I understand that there's no pilot bearing which seems weird. I've seen a few TSB's regarding the throw out bearing, shift fork support, and slave cylinder, all of which were really in an effort to fix the crappy TOB design. For 900 dollars (including the clutch and TOB) plus labor, I'm willing to let my shop try and rebuild it for me. It will be cheaper than a $1700 rebuilt one off ebay, even with the URD clutch and TOB. I love the idea of a T56, but I don't have the money for it. I will let you guys know how it goes and I appreciate your opinion. This site is full of very knowledgeable and helpful people and I appreciate all your input. -Mark

lingenfelterm

Reaction score
Update

I got an email from the Toyota of Dallas parts store today. The 33396 synchro ring has been discontinued. There are three of these used in our transmissions, in 2nd, 4th, and 6th. Knowing that, I have canceled my order for the other synchro rings as a rebuild is out of the question unless I can source the parts elsewhere. It's so frustrating to have a vehicle with 65k miles with severe transmission problems and not to be able to get the necessary parts to try and fix it. (Emphasis on try, as I know the track record on the AY6's longevity isn't very good, nor the rebuild attempts very successful.) At this point, I'm really thinking I'll just put in my new clutch and throwout bearing and see how long the transmission holds up. My only other options are T56 which I can't afford right now, a new one for around $2,500, or a rebuilt one for around $1700. Can anyone tell me if the newer, revised slave cylinder would be of benefit?
(EDIT)
Shot Toyota of Dallas an email to double check and make sure the part numbers haven't changed/been replaced or superseded by another number, waiting for a reply.

Last edited:

rennurx

Reaction score
Mine was perfect after the rebuild, G. Even held my power. Stock parts replacement. But still seemed better

Top Bottom