Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Roof Paint

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
Last week I noticed that my roof still looked wet from a distance. Kinda like dew on the roof, but it was in the middle of the day.

When I got closer too check it out, I found this:

IMG_4053_zps3f386d39.jpg~original

IMG_4054_zps0a0fb32c.jpg~original

IMG_4059_zpsbc480713.jpg~original

IMG_4058_zps9c627f4c.jpg~original

IMG_4057_zps3b3e1fb5.jpg~original

Tine to get the roof surface rust ground off and re-sprayed. :thumbdown:

easts1d3

Reaction score
Oh jeez!
That looks terrible, should probably get that fixed asap

hrspwr236

Reaction score
Wow, that looks pretty bad! Time to find a painter, maybe clean it up with wd40 rust repellant and throw some plasti dip on it till you can get it fixed!

P05X

"Wicked Pissah"
Reaction score
Wow that's bad all most looks like paint stripper was sprayed on your roof.

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score

Ya I was gonna say something like that. I know you keep your truck clean (well it always is in pics lol) something like that just doesn't happen overnight

hrspwr236

Reaction score

I was actually thinking that but I would think if someone was going to actually do that it would more extensive and in more places, parked someone where they were painting and an accident happened?

GR6RR

Reaction score
We're not supposed to get those type of damage from SoCal weather...

chatt x

Reaction score
Steve, did you do some wiping on those spots? There are clear looking fibers around the spots. I've never seen paint damage like that unless it was some kind of chemical attack. I believe you have been vandalized. If it isn't some jackass that thought your truck was "too nice" and decided to fix it for ya, I'd like to know what the cause is.

Last edited:

smftexas86

Reaction score
the only thing about BSP's damage that's weird to me. If its paint stripper or some other vandalization, why only the roof? Why no run off anywhere and other damage?

gearhead899

Reaction score
damn that sucks! do you wash your truck by hand? If so i would think you would have noticed that when washing the roof. I wash my truck and wax it like crazy. buy im often guilty of not waxing the roof. But i probly should more often to prevent this from happening :thumbdown:

Edgeman

Reaction score

That's what it looks like to me too. Contact your insurance company ASAP. I think this is covered under comprehensive. They'll let you know if you need to contact the police and/or a body shop to confirm the cause of the damage.

hrspwr236

Reaction score
That's what it looks like to me too. Contact your insurance company ASAP. I think this is covered under comprehensive. They'll let you know if you need to contact the police and/or a body shop to confirm the cause of the damage.

May be worth the possible slight increase in premium if your insurance plays that game if not you get it fixed at a fraction and done right if your have a low deductible!

justin13703

Reaction score
Man that looks terrible. I also believe that something or someone caused that, that doesn't look like the kind of damage that just shows up one day.

06 xrunner

Reaction score
Man that looks terrible. I also believe that something or someone caused that, that doesn't look like the kind of damage that just shows up one day.

Yeah I agree. Definitely something you would notice slowly starting than too all of a sudden be there that bad

it is weird that only on roof though

Edgeman

Reaction score
I showed your pictures to my ICAR (Paint & Body) instructor last night, and he concurred your truck was vandalized, most likely by chemical paint remover. Hopefully your insurance will cover the cost of repainting your roof.

Not sure if this will jack your rates. Generally you see increases when you have an "at fault" accident. Don't know if being a victim of vandalism should make them go up since you didn't do anything "risky" while driving. Hopefully someone on here works in the insurance business, and can advise you how to proceed.

Good luck!

skydivedevin

Reaction score
You weren't vandalized. I just noticed mine is doing the exact same thing except mine is even worse. After some internet investigating, it appears other 2nd gen tacoma owners are having the same problem.

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I couldn't help but notice that both of you are BSP --- could it be that particular paint?

darthyota

Reaction score
That definitely looks like chemical paint stripper or the result of leaving brake fluid on the paint or something similar. I would venture to guess someone did this with malicious intent to your truck.

Top Bottom