Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rough Ride

Cal Frez

Reaction score
ADMIN EDIT: I moved this out of a 3 year old post that got bumped last week. The origin of the response is still quoted.

Man that's nice. Only drove it to church on Sunday. Congrats on the new truck. The suspension is stiff in these trucks, they corner great, but they are a little rough on the road. That could be your noise. Tires like lingenfelterm said. Make a video if you feel up to it. Welcome to the Underground!

Exactly what I have found. Suspension is stiffer than a preacher's (you know what). These heat-buckled roads down here in the south make for a bumpy ride to-and-from work. Any solution to this issue? Or should I just let some air out of the tires?

Last edited by a moderator:

madtrucker

Reaction score
I try to avoid crappy roads. It's not always a choice, but when it is I will go the long way to avoid beating up my truck. You could change the shocks, but you might get more body roll in the corners. I think it's a trade off, hard corners, or comfortable ride.

PiNkY

Reaction score
Exactly what I have found. Suspension is stiffer than a preacher's (you know what). These heat-buckled roads down here in the south make for a bumpy ride to-and-from work. Any solution to this issue? Or should I just let some air out of the tires?
The best solution I've come across was the qa1 shocks. I have the DJM 3/4 & I feel every damn bump there is but with those if I'm cruising just click um down to like a 4 or 3 setting and it's nice. For corners usually around a 8 or 10 depending on the corners. They hold up and have a lifetime warranty - I've had to have 1 rebuilt. Excellent customer service.

Jamaican xrunner

Reaction score
Just put on a bilstein front and back..hate them make my ride very unstable on rough roads. Is there shocks that will ride better on bad roads?

madtrucker

Reaction score
I wouldn't change the truck too much. I would change trucks. The SR5's look nice, Pre Runner maybe. X Runner is a race truck. It's great at what it was designed to be.

gearhead899

Reaction score
Just put on a bilstein front and back..hate them make my ride very unstable on rough roads. Is there shocks that will ride better on bad roads?
Replacing the struts with the oem bilsteins shouldnt make it unstable. If it feels weird on smoother roads too, id double check your steering and suspension components and make sure no bushings or joints are worn or have play. But being unstable on rough roads could also be caused by your tires. The smaller the side wall, the less the tire will absorb bumps and rough roads. As it was said above, these trucks were not really made to drive on rough roads (lowered sport tuned suspension and low profile tires) so its just really the nature of the beast

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Is your truck lowered or stock height?

Reaction score
These trucks are rough i hoestly have had all drops except the ss coilovers and no matter how you slice it its stiff , adjustable coilovers give you some wiggle room and also tire size can play in big

Nashman

Reaction score
low pro all ways will be a shit ride on a truck in less air ride

madtrucker

Reaction score
I hate when people buy an X-Runner and change it too much. There are a lot of other Tacomas that are more suitable. It is a work of art. A rare piece of equipment. Let it be a sport truck and cherish it if you own one.

Jamaican xrunner

Reaction score
i live in jamaica and the roads are bad. didn't know these trucks gave such a rough ride.I run 245x20 tires. seems only way to get a smooth ride is to change tires.

Top Bottom