Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Scopes

mejbro

Reaction score
Hmm... I've only used traditional head bolts. It looks like an advantage would be that it would hold the gasket in place during reassembly? I guess it's a matter of preference. I just always go with "the devil I know".

mejbro

Reaction score
Transmission jack - don't laugh, but the harbor freight one was awesome for me. I worked with 6 ton jack stands and got the truck up about 20" to the side skirts. Lowered the tranny onto a blanket and pulled it from underneath the truck.
Engine stand - I bought a "normal" one, but I had to buy longer bolts, the same size as our tranny mounting bolts, and cut a half inch from the engine stand tubes to make it work.
If possible, find a stand that rotates... it would help you to remove the rods / pistons, crank, oil pan...
I believe I read somewhere credible that 1gr internals could take in the ballpark of 400hp.
Tranny, not so much...

mejbro

Reaction score
Can't go wrong with that exhaust setup, she really sings at 80+...
Haven't seen anything about HP output of just the Stroker Kit.
But then again, the numbers would only be relative to the tune.

mejbro

Reaction score
Sweet transmission cooler!
When I installed the CSF Radiator there were more fittings that I didn't plumb into, I believe those are for automatic transmission.
You're right though, I would think the gains have to be substantial with more displacement. That's gonna be a badass truck!

shane881510

Reaction score
Did U make sure to get the 80lbs injectors instead of the 60lb that come with the kit originally. And if ur doing head gaskets, do cometic the first time and arp head studs Or you be back in it again later.

mejbro

Reaction score
Quite the predicament you're in. So, you're beefing up the valve train then the Stroker Kit? If you don't go through too many heat cycles and you stick to your 2 - 3 month plan, then maybe buy the high end head studs and re-use? ( I would definitely ask the vendor )
I personally have never re-used Torque to Yield hardware. Me and another mechanic oversee and maintain the PM programs on industrial equipment at 16 Import / Export Terminals in the U.S.
He always re-uses the original 5/8" Torque to Yield coupling bolts ( 180 ft/lbs ) when performing our 3000 hour Coupling check / inspection / repack. I have NEVER re-used them... I order them weeks in advance and ALWAYS install new ones. I say that to say this... Neither one of us has had a failure, lol!
But then again, that example is still Apples and Oranges

shane881510

Reaction score
ARP head studs don’t get replaced each time. The arp head bolts do. The studs do not. Cometic head gasket are the best for these engines. The felpro are multi layer gaskets but not as good as Cometic.

shane881510

Reaction score
The arp head studs or the nuts that come with it does not get replaced. U only replace if you use factory style head bolts. I used .51 thickness head gaskets from cometic

shane881510

Reaction score
No problem. I used the factory head gaskets once and turned out bad. Went with the arp studs and cometic and been good. I run 16psi of Boost at 6200 and it’s been holding up. I need to do my valve springs and valves and up the rpm more.

Gadget

Reaction score
For your setup, I would use it just for the additional head room, but for a normal URD Stage 2 or 3 it is not needed.

AZ Sun Lover

Banned
Reaction score
Gentlemen with all do respect,
With all the work & funds you’re dropping into boosted 4L V6 I fully don’t understand why more are not installing alloy block LS motors. I road in a Colorado then asked if I could drive it. It had a LS L33 (alloy HO 327 from a GM truck) he picked up the motor for $750. Then purchased a Tremec from a GTO for $1500 & a new plug & play complete wiring harness and other parts. The owner refreshed the motor did a few mods like a hotter cam and some other stuff. He’s running regular gas getting just over 20 mpg in the city and close to 30 on the highway. 3.58 gears w/ truetrac. He said he has about $5500 in the upgrades and trust me it will put you back in the seat! He made sure when I was driving that we were moving & pointing straight before I nailed it. Plus it just had some nice factory wheels and a big quiet exhaust system. Can you say sleeper? All I can say is OMG what an E ticket ride! You younger guys probably never heard this but I’m sure us older guys like me know what I’m referring to. I know of about 6 or 7 Tacoma’s that have done this motor swap and I understand there’s room to spare in the engine bay. Per the owner of the truck he said he’s 100% sure that he would be able to make everything work in my truck if I wanted it done. I already have 3.73 gears from a Pre-runner w/ our 29” tall tires and 3.58 are easy to pickup if I needed a taller gears? Sadly I had already purchased a super charger system for our truck and trust me it’s NO where NEAR the performance of that 327. Hindsight I wish I would have sold the SC, motor & trans and gone with GM torque & power. God I F-ed up on this one...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just my .02 cents.
AZ

Last edited:

mejbro

Reaction score
I personally would like to think of myself as an enthusiast. If I wanted a Chevy S10 "Extreme", I would have one. I get it, you can make power ( reliable, maybe ) outta the LS motors.
But for 5500 bucks, you can buy and build a 300 dollar civic into a 10 second car with parts from your local auto parts store, lol.
Yes, our market is small and our parts are expensive... but to me, it's been worth the ride.

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't follow this thread all that carefully but it seems Skygear has deleted all of his comments, unless someone can put this all back into context I'll probably close the thread.

AZ Sun Lover

Banned
Reaction score
I personally would like to think of myself as an enthusiast. If I wanted a Chevy S10 "Extreme", I would have one. I get it, you can make power ( reliable, maybe ) outta the LS motors.
But for 5500 bucks, you can buy and build a 300 dollar civic into a 10 second car with parts from your local auto parts store, lol.
Yes, our market is small and our parts are expensive... but to me, it's been worth the ride.

Hey, I don’t care for GM trucks and hate their POS cars but you can’t argue about the torque & horse power an New GM LS makes for the funds one spends. Yeah the super charger system helped a lot but for what I have in parts I could have double the performance with a NA LS...

just saying...

Top Bottom