Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Spec U Headers Installed...need more power

x-runner kid

Reaction score
I tried wrapping the Y pipe like G suggested and it didn't help at all. I'm going to use the new section G sent me to weld in a resonator and see if that helps any but I am having trouble finding spare time and a guy with a tig welder. I know it's not a leak I have checked every connection so many times I feel like I know every bend and connection better than anyone lol.

fishsticks

Because fast lifted truck.
Reaction score
JPAYNE722 said:
So why not just sell the spec u y pipe and get the comp,ive straight piped it so its soo loud hahaha u cant hear buzzing,but i wouldnt mind hearing a diff muffler on the full system maybe borla or like a slp

The Y pipe joints will not match up to another system, and I'm adverse to hacking up an $1100 exhaust. :smile:

x-runner kid said:
I tried wrapping the Y pipe like G suggested and it didn't help at all. I'm going to use the new section G sent me to weld in a resonator and see if that helps any but I am having trouble finding spare time and a guy with a tig welder. I know it's not a leak I have checked every connection so many times I feel like I know every bend and connection better than anyone lol.

You can weld stainless with MIG, just need 309 wire and tri-mix gas. You can use C25 gas in a pinch but I'd probably paint the joints to keep them from rusting.

I welded my V band joint up to make sure it wasn't leaking. Kinda wish I hadn't now.

You should put a resonator on each side to keep exhaust pulse velocities similar. Otherwise you're sort of defeating the purpose of a tuned system... not that I think it matters much in this application besides sound.

x-runner kid

Reaction score
The Y pipe joints will not match up to another system, and I'm adverse to hacking up an $1100 exhaust. :smile:

You can weld stainless with MIG, just need 309 wire and tri-mix gas. You can use C25 gas in a pinch but I'd probably paint the joints to keep them from rusting.

I welded my V band joint up to make sure it wasn't leaking. Kinda wish I hadn't now.

You should put a resonator on each side to keep exhaust pulse velocities similar. Otherwise you're sort of defeating the purpose of a tuned system... not that I think it matters much in this application besides sound.

I know I can with a mig but that would mean I would need to find someone local or buy online a 309 wire and I would have to buy a different bottle of shielding gas. I am not against this idea though at this point but I still don't know if it would be worth it for one piece. I plan on eventually welding one in on the drivers side as well but the resonators are $50 a piece and I didn't feel like spending the money unless I knew it would remedy the problem. Everyone seems to think its the sound of the exhaust pulses merging which it isn't because I know what that sounds like. The resonator is a straight through 12" long round vibrant resonator so it shouldn't slow the passenger side down much if at all. My hope is that if it does slow it down a little then I know it's not the pulses merging. I have several videos from autocross that I would love to load so everyone can hear how bad it is even from a distance but can't remember how to load a video at the moment.

JPAYNE722

Reaction score

Spec u headers wont work with the urd comp pipe?

x-runner kid

Reaction score

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score

Technically they will. They will bolt up to the Y-pipe. The outlet of that Y-pipe has a v-band flange, so the catback would also need one to bolt up.

To everyone: why not just install a resonator, directly post y-pipe flange? That was the prior method to reduce the horrendous DTLT rasp. That or a second muffler in the same area. Any exhaust shop with a stainless feed MIG welder could do it easily.

x-runner kid

Reaction score
Technically they will. They will bolt up to the Y-pipe. The outlet of that Y-pipe has a v-band flange, so the catback would also need one to bolt up.

To everyone: why not just install a resonator, directly post y-pipe flange? That was the prior method to reduce the horrendous DTLT rasp. That or a second muffler in the same area. Any exhaust shop with a stainless feed MIG welder could do it easily.

That is what my solution is. Just was under the assumption that this system took care of that rasp. If you watch my two clips you'll see just how bad my truck sounds.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yours has a combo of good and fart can at the same time. Which is weird because I have heard others which only had the good. Either way, an additional resonator ( the longest you can fit) will do really well.

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score

Nope they won't it changes the connection point where the Y and cat back meet. Normally it's on the passenger side but with the spec-u system it's in the middle more of the truck.

On a slightly different note I loaded my videos to YouTube. Here are the links.
https://youtu.be/xsviSS7_I7A
https://youtu.be/4R1rd034fwk

The location of the Spec-U header to Y-pipe flange connections do not change as compared to stock manifolds, JBA, or DTLT. Spec-U headers will bolt up to the old style URD Y-Pipe. What is different is the Spec-U Exhaust. That part is both the new equal length y-pipe and a cat-back exhaust. The Y-Pipe to catback exhaust flange connection IS moved when using the Spec-U exhaust. What is NOT possible without major modification (and why you would try is beyond me) is to use the Spec-U equal length Y-pipe with any other cat back exhaust. Hope that clarifies things.

fishsticks

Reaction score
I know I can with a mig but that would mean I would need to find someone local or buy online a 309 wire and I would have to buy a different bottle of shielding gas. I am not against this idea though at this point but I still don't know if it would be worth it for one piece. I plan on eventually welding one in on the drivers side as well but the resonators are $50 a piece and I didn't feel like spending the money unless I knew it would remedy the problem. Everyone seems to think its the sound of the exhaust pulses merging which it isn't because I know what that sounds like. The resonator is a straight through 12" long round vibrant resonator so it shouldn't slow the passenger side down much if at all. My hope is that if it does slow it down a little then I know it's not the pulses merging. I have several videos from autocross that I would love to load so everyone can hear how bad it is even from a distance but can't remember how to load a video at the moment.

Most people already use C25 for mild steel welding. So you'd just need a 2 lb of 309 wire.

Are you referring to downstream of the 3" merge? Because there is already one there. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

My noise really only seems noticeable inside the cab. So it only annoys me. :laugh: I took a quickie video from my front porch. Leaving and returning. Pardon the tire spin and diesel impersonation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDmGc_cIhB4

The location of the Spec-U header to Y-pipe flange connections do not change as compared to stock manifolds, JBA, or DTLT. Spec-U headers will bolt up to the old style URD Y-Pipe. What is different is the Spec-U Exhaust. That part is both the new equal length y-pipe and a cat-back exhaust. The Y-Pipe to catback exhaust flange connection IS moved when using the Spec-U exhaust. What is NOT possible without major modification (and why you would try is beyond me) is to use the Spec-U equal length Y-pipe with any other cat back exhaust. Hope that clarifies things.

:werd:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just looked at it. Didn't realize that it had a muffler and a resonator.

Edit. Dayum. Sounded pretty good to me!

fishsticks

Reaction score
Thanks. Like I said, mostly an in cab annoyance for me. Hence why I'm not too worried. :laugh:

JPAYNE722

Reaction score
Ya sucks to hack up a $1,600 exhaust because of a buzzing sound

x-runner kid

Reaction score
Yours has a combo of good and fart can at the same time. Which is weird because I have heard others which only had the good. Either way, an additional resonator ( the longest you can fit) will do really well.

Ya mine only had the good at certain rpms but it's mostly fart can lol.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I wish mine was only in cab but mine is in the cab on the street and everywhere within ear shot lol.

Do you have Spec-U headers as well? I am too lazy to look for that answer. :crinklehair:

Next, it might have a funny resonance at anspecific load & rpm, but how do like the Spec-U exhaust's performance?

GT7

Reaction score
Preformance of spec u headers and exhaust is pretty great but I too get a almost buzzing sound.

x-runner kid

Reaction score
Do you have Spec-U headers as well? I am too lazy to look for that answer. :crinklehair:

Next, it might have a funny resonance at anspecific load & rpm, but how do like the Spec-U exhaust's performance?

I have the full system headers and all. The buzzing sucks ass but I love the performance of the system. As a performance mod I think it's awesome just wish the buzz was not there.

bobber bill

Reaction score
Got rid of mine a while ago. Tried different mufflers, resonators, loosen this, tighten that, new gaskets blah blah... Threw a bunch of time and money at the thing and the best solution was simply to ditch it and build my own 3 exhaust.

13086990_10208030009921097_3869616690760914706_o.jpg

I don't miss the change in performance or the horrible noise.

JPAYNE722

Reaction score
Even the banks muffler didnt sound good? What did you do for a y pipe and exhaust

Last edited:
Top Bottom