Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

trac bar, pinion seal, rear. HELP somthing is leaking

lowrunner

Reaction score
Hey guys. when i bought my truck it already had the URD Trac bar on. i thought great, no wheel hop for me. but my problem is that the rear end has been leaking. I already changed the pinion seal once. and that alone was kind of a headache because it was really hard to find the right part. i went to toyota and they gave me a seal that was way to big. found out once i had my truck apart but the seal they gave me was about 1" in diameter larger then what i took out. eventually i got the right one. Problem comes that now its leaking again and honestly i dont think i get up and on her to hard. question is, it looks like the URD trac bar has an adjustment nut on it. is there a certain angle that it should be locked in to? When i clean it off it looks like it comes from the seal area and not from any of the studs but i could be wrong. anyone else have this problem of it keeping to leak or know if the trac bar was just put on wrong??? any help of incite would be great. thanks.

0502131539a.jpg

0502131541.jpg

0502131539.jpg

0502131538.jpg

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like the studs from the trac bar could be leaking, remove the trac bar so you can see directly.

If it is the case, remove the trac bar bracket, drain the diff and use the double nut technique to get the extra long studs out and apply a bead of 'the right stuff' FIPG and it should seal it up!

Re-install trac bar and all is good.

Basically get your hands on a copy of the urd trac bar install and you'll see what I mean!
Hope that's all she needs man

P05X

"Wicked Pissah"
Reaction score
Mines been doing the same thing replaced my pinion seal as well and no luck. On mine its not the studs its deffinetly coming crime the pinion seal. Would like to see what everyone says. Maybe the master gadget will chime in.

Gadget

Reaction score
Looks like it is leaking from between the 3rd member and the axle housing. If that is the case you will need to remove the bracket and all the diff nuts and pull the diff forward until you hit the limit from your axles.

Then get in there and clean up the area between the 3rd member and axle housing. Use a scraper and scotch bright and lots of brake cleaner.

Once you got it all nice and clean seal it up with Right Stuff and bolt it back together.

Double check that top stud and nut before you get started and make sure it is all there. Seems many people leave that loose and the nut falls off and starts all kinds of problems. That stud and nut is very important as it takes the initial load.

G

hiflyer

Reaction score
Thx. Mine needs some of this attention as well....

lowrunner

Reaction score
Thanks guys im def gonna start with checking all the studs. and keep cleaning and looking. probably pull the trac bar all off just to check it out.

its a big help to have a direction to start looking at

RRCanuck

Reaction score
Any luck locating the leak? I noticed some diff fluid on my driveway this morning, I havent gotten under the truck yet to take a look yet but Im hoping its not the pinion seal again. I replaced it just last summer.

frechem

Reaction score
I wanted to bump this old thread since I'm about to tackle the same issue. Has there been anything new discussed for going about this since the thread was created or should I stick to the same procedure Gadget recommended?

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
I used the Gadget procedure and have had no issues

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
good'n'tight but if that's what it says I'd do it

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Make sure you have the proper tools for the top bolt

frechem

Reaction score
Looks like it is leaking from between the 3rd member and the axle housing. If that is the case you will need to remove the bracket and all the diff nuts and pull the diff forward until you hit the limit from your axles.

Then get in there and clean up the area between the 3rd member and axle housing. Use a scraper and scotch bright and lots of brake cleaner.

Once you got it all nice and clean seal it up with Right Stuff and bolt it back together.

Double check that top stud and nut before you get started and make sure it is all there. Seems many people leave that loose and the nut falls off and starts all kinds of problems. That stud and nut is very important as it takes the initial load.

G

Should the stock gasket be removed at this time and just use the Right Stuff in its place?

frechem

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of fixing my leak. How much room should there be when pulling out the diff before it hits the limit of the axles?

o0opackersfano0o

Reaction score
Just pull your axle shafts out. Undo the brake lines at the drums. Disconnect the abs wires. Remove ebrake cable bolts. One on leafs and one on frame. 4 nuts holding it to the axle case and slide them out about a foot. And u can pull the 3rd member right out and clean everything and seal it up. You can use a factory seal. Or just use rtv. I always use toyota red fipg made for gear fluid and trans fluid.

frechem

Reaction score
Just pull your axle shafts out. Undo the brake lines at the drums. Disconnect the abs wires. Remove ebrake cable bolts. One on leafs and one on frame. 4 nuts holding it to the axle case and slide them out about a foot. And u can pull the 3rd member right out and clean everything and seal it up. You can use a factory seal. Or just use rtv. I always use toyota red fipg made for gear fluid and trans fluid.

Yep this is what I ended up doing as there was no way to do it by leaving the axles in. I pulled the diff and gave the mating surfaces a good thorough cleaning and applied the Right Stuff to the housing side. I then reinstalled the diff and torqued the nuts to 28 fl-lbs in an alternating pattern. So far it looks like this fixed the leak issue. Thanks for everyone's help. I now need to change out the rear fluid.

Top Bottom