Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Track Daze at VIR May 31 2014

SgtBadA

Reaction score
My stock 06 n/a with upgraded brake pads and shoes and r-comp tires was as fast as the lap times the 2:32 or so we turned in the highly modified 09.

that's impressive its all in the driver honestly. im about to go out and buy tires this weekend hopefully.

True

Reaction score
A little late to the party but it was an awesome time even as a spectator. Just seeing the enthusiasm of the drivers between the runs, getting a little more insight of what our trucks can do just seeing them on all the corners, the unmovable smile on Don's face after each run even when it was only his first time on the track.

It really has me wanting to have the truck out there to race next year, even if I'll probably be scared out of my mind the first few runs. I really would like to see more guys out there next year for sure. Finally got to meet Buck and Amy in person who were somehow even more informative and friendly in person than PM, and bugging Gadget about the 09 and up X runners ECU never gets old(just kidding). Just a great experience all around.

Really wish I could have stayed a bit longer and had a drink or two after but I'll save that for next time.

Miami_X

Reaction score
A little late to the party but it was an awesome time even as a spectator. Just seeing the enthusiasm of the drivers between the runs, getting a little more insight of what our trucks can do just seeing them on all the corners, the unmovable smile on Don's face after each run even when it was only his first time on the track.

It really has me wanting to have the truck out there to race next year, even if I'll probably be scared out of my mind the first few runs. I really would like to see more guys out there next year for sure. Finally got to meet Buck and Amy in person who were somehow even more informative and friendly in person than PM, and bugging Gadget about the 09 and up X runners ECU never gets old(just kidding). Just a great experience all around.

Really wish I could have stayed a bit longer and had a drink or two after but I'll save that for next time.

The smile is still there! My son was bitten by the Track daze bug when he saw how beautiful VIR was in mine and Amy's pictures. He wants to go there for the July event and I might just do it - it was THAT much fun and VIR is such a gorgeous track. Anyone who missed this event and would like to run with another X-Runner, stay tuned, there might be a July Track Daze at VIR thread in the near future.

And, FYI, my mom in law is home with assorted bumps and bruises and a knot on her forehead, but doing pretty good. All things considered, I'm glad I left when I did.

autobodyX

Reaction score
The smile is still there! My son was bitten by the Track daze bug when he saw how beautiful VIR was in mine and Amy's pictures. He wants to go there for the July event and I might just do it - it was THAT much fun and VIR is such a gorgeous track. Anyone who missed this event and would like to run with another X-Runner, stay tuned, there might be a July Track Daze at VIR thread in the near future.

And, FYI, my mom in law is home with assorted bumps and bruises and a knot on her forehead, but doing pretty good. All things considered, I'm glad I left when I did.

Glad to here things are better with the family, sorry you left before I could say goodbye. If you get up in July I'll try to come back out.

SgtBadA

Reaction score
Well im glad she is doing better. I did start a thread on the july track daze event. The only thing i need is a helmet and new tires.

Miami_X

Reaction score
Pretty sure I'll be there with my son. I had a blast, but did not drive particularly well. Too cautious, maybe. I'll do better in July. Looking forward to seeing a bunch of you there.

gunner76137

Reaction score
How is the general consensus of feelings from the others, about trucks on the course, now after so many times out there?

A lot of people came by and said they thought it was great seeing our trucks out there running

Miami_X

Reaction score
A lot of people came by and said they thought it was great seeing our trucks out there running

How cool is that? I'm going to work on my 09+ traction control problem this week, now that I'm officially on summer vacation for 10 weeks. If what Mike suggests works on my truck, I'm going back to VIR in July!:rockon:

autobodyX

Reaction score
It works perfect. I am working on work around and if it is better or easier I will let you know.

BondXII

Reaction score
When you said you were just using your 4th and 5th gears, instead of revving the piss out of the motor, that it would have a positive effect on your lap times if you drove a momentum line to go with the change, much easier on the brakes to.
We need to do this again before we forget what we learned this last trip.
I want to see Bucks time and compare it to his instructor's time driving his truck. I'll be pissed if he bested my time in a N/A truck with DOT tires.

No need to get pissed. LOL. My fast time was a low 2:35...the instructor pulled a mid 2:33. You're still the fast X-Runner of the weekend. :)

My main problem for not being faster is that I couldn't nail every element in the same lap. I would be patting myself on the back for keeping a sweet line...then screw up on entry in another element. Then the domino effect kicks in until the next straight. Still a blast though.

The moral of the story...the driver mod still needs further tuning. LOL

Speaking of times, what's everybody's data tag numbers. Curious to see how we all did as the weekend progressed.

SgtBadA

Reaction score
I know some of you guys are looking for a way to switch off tcs and stm. I know that autobody pulled the fuse out and started the truck and it almost died. What is that 10 Amp fuse powering exactly. Im wondering if you could just disable the yaw sensor with a switch.

Miami_X

Reaction score
I know some of you guys are looking for a way to switch off tcs and stm. I know that autobody pulled the fuse out and started the truck and it almost died. What is that 10 Amp fuse powering exactly. Im wondering if you could just disable the yaw sensor with a switch.

Or feed the ECU some bogus data like the O2 sims do.....

SgtBadA

Reaction score
Yea, thats what im thinking.. id like to see what autobodyX comes up with

autobodyX

Reaction score
Dealing with this 09 X and its Stibility control has been a two year battle for me. Watchng last years video you can hear the controls beeping warning me of inpending danger, and even going so far as to completely kill the gas and even apply the brakes all on its own WTF :thumbdown:and completely ruining the fun of driving a track day.The X gets into the corner beter with the open diff and I like the traction control, but the stibility control Natzi and me just do not get along. When I changed the rear to the Truetrack posi and ran my sticky street tires the system worked good, the traction control was fantastic, I could just stomp the gas pedal coming out of the corner and let it do its thing. If I was smooth with the steering wheel imput it would just add power at a nice steady rate beter than I could do it my self. I was limited on how hard I could corner with the yaw senser but I learned to drive with the computer. Nice and smooth was the trick. I am a beter driver for it.

Then I put my R-com tires on and OMG my truck tried to kill me! I made the best of the rest of the event last year and drove the best I could with the computer and vowed when I left I would cure this problem or sell this 09 and get truck a 05 to 08 X again. I knew that my front drop had hurt track performance but I like the look and the lower center of gravity should help so I developed a fix for my steering issues, and looked for a way of defeating the stibility control.

I am very happy with my 09 now, I forgot how fun it was to drive without ristrictions, that is why we do a track day, to drive as fast and as hard a we feel comfortabe at a safe venue. Now that I have fixed the X I can go back to working on making my driving style better.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
.........well......what did you do to rid the stability control? ??????

autobodyX

Reaction score
I induce a system fault and it shuts down the stability control for 5 ignition/starts and then it clears if no fault is found. I have to do it again when it resets. Air bag system is still active. Not sure about the ABS, normally I do not engage the ABS at the track anymore, my current brake system is very balanced now, unlike the ST pads that I was using,they tripped the ABS repeatedly.

Before I installed the posi unit all I had to do was spin a rear wheel backwards a few feet and bam the light was on and the traction control system was off not sure if it turned off the stability. I think this only works on a 09, and only on one the dealer has not re-flashed for this work around.

Miami_X

Reaction score
I induce a system fault and it shuts down the stability control for 5 ignition/starts and then it clears if no fault is found. I have to do it again when it resets. Air bag system is still active. Not sure about the ABS, normally I do not engage the ABS at the track anymore, my current brake system is very balanced now, unlike the ST pads that I was using,they tripped the ABS repeatedly.

Before I installed the posi unit all I had to do was spin a rear wheel backwards a few feet and bam the light was on and the traction control system was off not sure if it turned off the stability. I think this only works on a 09, and only on one the dealer has not re-flashed for this work around.

Thanks for doing the leg-work on this issue, Mike. Got too busy to alot enough time to fiddle with the fuses today, but will do it tomorrow, no doubt. There are several sweeping on-ramps here in SoFlo upon which to test it out. So, you're saying that the braking might still occur, but the dammed throttle control will be disabled for a few start cycles.

Clewis333

Reaction score
love the video! and anyone else get their data tag results? my best lap time was 2:43:05 just interested in how everyone else fared! it was a great time, and i can't say how much i wish that my engine hadn't have blown. (wouldn't have minded as much if i had gotten more than 1 hr of track time)

Edit: Data tag number 20142, just for you buck ;)

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
love the video! and anyone else get their data tag results? my best lap time was 2:43:05 just interested in how everyone else fared! it was a great time, and i can't say how much i wish that my engine hadn't have blown. (wouldn't have minded as much if i had gotten more than 1 hr of track time)

Edit: Data tag number 20142, just for you buck ;)

O_O....dude. sorry to hear. What was the culprit if you don't mind?

Top Bottom