Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TSB: 6 Speed tranny manual

HookedX

Reaction score
reading this thread makes me concerned there could be a problem in the future with my car, its only got 22k miles on it and its an 08, but what exactly is the problem being discussed here and what fixes it?

rich017

Reaction score
reading this thread makes me concerned there could be a problem in the future with my car, its only got 22k miles on it and its an 08, but what exactly is the problem being discussed here and what fixes it?

Usually it starts to happen pretty soon when trucks are having this issue.

My 07 has 50K and never had an issue with the tranny except for the tail shaft seal leaking which was fixed under warranty.

SX TOY

Reaction score
my problems started shortly before full tranny replacement at 15,500 mi
there are a few issues
one the throwout bearing squeak(sounds like a helicopter)
two clutch disc seperating
three gear grinding and or locking in gear
the dealer should help you with most of it under warranty at least the first time if you experience it at all.
the throwout bearing may have a fix by way of a sleeve that can be put on the input shaft(aftermarket)
if the disc goes I recommend upgrading to an aftermarket clutch.
and apr is now offering a kit to replace your tranny with the venerable t56 out of f body cars(expensive aftermarket) but it cures all three at once.
if at 22k you have no signs of any problems you may be lucky and have a good setup.
don't stress to hard on it if anything happens post up and you will get the advice /help you need.:top:

SSSXR

Reaction score

also keep in mind man, there are going to be problems. don't get concerned because i'll tell you right now guaranteed something will eventually need to be fixed on your truck. I doubt there is an automobile out there especially internal combustion ones that don't have flaws.

Drive your truck how you want to and have fun. don't be scared, because when something does come up it will just give you an excuse to work on your truck lol :top:

heck even the new GTR's have tranny issues.

YotaFab

Reaction score
and there is a T-SB that what my paper work says according to the work they did

firesquare16

Reaction score
my dealer is crap.

I purchased my truck used at 30,600 miles in December, i noticed after having it a few weeks the throwout bearing was chirping like a bad tensioner pulley. it's loud as hell too. took it to Toyota since my battery died when it was 98 degrees outside when that happened. i told them about the throwout bearing and the clutch smelling/burning every so often, They tell me nothing is covered under the extended dealership warranty i purchased with my truck. including the battery. ($98) i have 48,000 on it now.

Estimate for clutch and throwout bearing, $999.98
My clutch in my 04 xB (RIP) was the original clutch on it for 148,000 miles and grabbed and chirped 2'ND every time. why should my clutch be bad now after 30,000 some odd miles?

i'm going to call the service manager on my next next day off. (hopefully picking up a Yamaha R6 next week). hopefully something will give. because i love Toyota products and the X-runner is the only "sporty" vehicle out there they offer.

GRRRRRRRRRR.......................

burnboy

Reaction score
I want to reply to this thread. I just got my 07' rr with 28000 miles. All is well but my 5th gear grinds at high rpm shifts from 4th. I'm going to approach the dealer carefully and with this forum ready on my phone just incase. Back in '03 I bought a matrix xrs. It pulled to the right and after 3 attempts to fix it I made toyota buy that bitch back. So here I am almost 8 years later. And ill be damned if I'm not almost regretting it. So I guess here I go again. Don't forget after 3 attempts for repair its a lemon and they have no choice but to buy it back. Not to mention a 5th gear should be butter no matter their excuse. 2nd gear I might blame on driver but 5th? Lol. I mean seriously laugh out loud.! I'm a master audi technician. When I bring the truck in I will be in uniform. Also dealerships rely heavily on what's called csi. Its the survey you receive after a service visit for warranty repairs. Flag them with all 0's till you're pleased. The dealer loses money based on bad csi. Have your guns ready when dealing with a service dept. And it helps to know what you're talking about. Well see what happens in my scenario. I will update following the holidays when I go in for this.

Murderface

Reaction score
Somehow I never get any CSI's sent to my house after a stealership visit. Posses me off because I know how important they are and I know all I'd put are ZERO's

05 X

Reaction score
I heard through some contacts this week that Toyota is on the second revision of the Transmission fix and that for the problems (gear grind, T/O bearing, ?) they are supposed to REPLACE THE TRANSMISSION WITH A NEW TRANSMISSION. Does anyone know how true this is -AND- if true, when it took effect?
My first warranty work (~8,000 miles at 9 months - December 2005) had a REMANUFACTURED transmission put in and no clutch replaced; clutch separated shortly after and I paid for a stock clutch install. My second warranty work (~50,000 at 4 years 11 months - March 2010) had the FRONT HALF of the transmission and some syncros/gears replaced and no clutch replaced. The grinding came back 2 months later - but the dealer said it was okay to wait and see if it gets worse. Shortly after this, the stock clutch separated again and I paid for the dealer to install the SPEC 3+ / URD lightweight flywheel / URD TSK45.
With the gear grind still a problem (4th to 5th and 5th to 6th) I'm waiting on the local service manager to get word from corporate on what they will or will not cover.
If they say "no" due to the aftermarket clutch, they should show that it is the cause. If so, this would establish a relationship with between the clutch and transmission meaning that the clutch should have been replaced under warranty when the other transmission warranty work was done.
I'll post when I get an update.
Anyway....does anyone know if Toyota is supposed to replace the trans with a completly new unit?

AFP520

Reaction score
I would think it helps you've had an extensive repair history to make your case about getting the service you deserve, but unless Toyota Corp agrees to pay for the work performed, the dealer ain't gonna do anything for you

Top Bottom