Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TSB: Bent Rear Tail Gate '05-'08

project-c2

Reaction score
I took my X in. They bought me a new tailgate and installed the TSB. You guys should take yours in too.

rpmspeedyblue

Reaction score
Does the tailgate have to be damaged? At TN someone mentioned the only way you can get the tsb done is if your tailgate was damaged. :dontknow:

Stevenredx

Reaction score
Does the tailgate have to be damaged? At TN someone mentioned the only way you can get the tsb done is if your tailgate was damaged. :dontknow:

I also heard the same thing.... BUT, I'm willing to bet if the service people are not just plain stupid.... they would go ahead and do it before it gets messed up. Anything is possible with enough bitching :biggrin:

rpmspeedyblue

Reaction score
I also heard the same thing.... BUT, I'm willing to bet if the service people are not just plain stupid.... they would go ahead and do it before it gets messed up. Anything is possible with enough bitching :biggrin:

Yea, you would think it would be a preventitive measure issue but it all comes down to the $$$$$$$$:thumpdown:

project-c2

Reaction score
It's not a recall, so they are not mandated to do it. Plus, saves money if we don't know about the TSB. (So they think...)

MistaGXR06

Reaction score
I cant find the PDF format for this TSB anymore. Are you able to just use the TSB number?

project-c2

Reaction score
Host must have taken it down. I don't remember the TSB number. I just printed it out and gave it to the service advisor. Sorry, man.

MistaGXR06

Reaction score
I have the TSB number will that work? My friends 4x4 taco's tailgate is all fugged up it wont even open now and bent kinda like a V. So I gave him the number. If anyone has the PDF on thier computer can they repost it please.

Stevenredx

Reaction score
Saw this thread on TN website. Update on the tailgate TSB

I stopped by the local dealer today (11/24/07) and was told that a new tailgate TSB became effective on November 13th. The new TSB number is BO018-07 and the new tailgate part number is 65701-04021 (the old/ original tailgate part number was 65701-04020). I did a quick search and didn't see any of this info previously posted.

Could someone who has access to the Toyota TSB pdf's please post a link to this. I want to see exactly what it is they plan to do regarding this new TSB. Thanks.

Btw, the guy said they already have some (new tailgates) available and can get the ball rolling on it as soon as they get me in to evaluate it. I basically told him it flexes under normal loads and he said that was enough for him. He said it didn't need to be damaged to have the TSB done.

05runner

Reaction score
I went by my local dealer on friday. Showed him the TSB dated from april, but had the new TSB's parts# and all that. He was looking all stupid tells me he never heard of it. I asked him if basically im getting a new tailgate or are they just beefing it up. He says he gonna research for me and gimme a call monday.

s/chargedxrunner06

Toyota Master Tech
Reaction score
I went by my local dealer on friday. Showed him the TSB dated from april, but had the new TSB's parts# and all that. He was looking all stupid tells me he never heard of it. I asked him if basically im getting a new tailgate or are they just beefing it up. He says he gonna research for me and gimme a call monday.
Sounds like some kind of dealership:thumpdown: , that TSB has been out for quit a while now, when the tailgate gets replaced ,their are stiffeners that are installed to keep it from bending.

05runner

Reaction score
Yeah either that or i can say there there are not an abundance of XR's around here and to have one pull up to the shop. Yeah in this city where im at its all imports and luxury. I just hope the dang place stays up on the job or im gonna have to get rude. LOL..:biggrin:

project-c2

Reaction score
I got that BS from my dealer too. "I'll go research it and call you back." After 1 month waiting, I ended up with a new tailgate debadged with a BSP emblem.

05runner

Reaction score
So funny, well not really. I got into a lil fender bender yesterday, and messed up my whole front end. Which now will be replaced. Get home and im all pissy drinking and at 6pm who calls. Toyota dealer askin for my VIN so he can check my manufacture date. He says my parts are getting ordered for my tailgate ill call you when there in to bring the truck. LOL.. Im like cool watch the day he calls will be the day my trucks in the bodyshop getting my new front end. :laugh:

05runner

Reaction score
Just like i thought it was gonna happen. My truck has been in the shop since Tues getting my front fixed. Who calls today on thursday. Toyota!What does he ask my production date and miles, which i gave to him the day i went in the first time. Then he calls back an hour later and asks me what color my truck is and that he is ordering parts today. He was so confused. I gave him the old TSB to read and but i also gave him the number of the updated version that came out in NOV. And he still can't distinguish weather he is fixing my tailgate or does the TSB call for a new tailgate all together. :dontknow: Wow the dealership is :stupid:

fuseaku

Reaction score
How in the world are you guys bending your tail gates? Mine is fine as far as I know... is this something I should do anyway just to have the new reinforced parts? Better yet, is it free to have fixed?

05runner

Reaction score
It depends on your dealer. My dealer actually checked to see if i was still in my warranty window. But as its not a recall just a bulletin i would do it just to see if they do it. My tailgate isnt bent either, but... i dont wanna bend it either. My bike is fairly expensive i dont ever wanna drop it or have to take my tailgate off to load it. So hell maybe 100 bucks to reinforce saves me from shelling out doe to fix my bike or my A.S.S. if i fall loading.

05runner

Reaction score
Im wondering if the the newer X's tailgates are already reinforced or what. I know for the 05's which mine is im doing it.

skilledbum23

Reaction score
STA71147.jpg

my tailgate at a 35 mph hit..... i dont know why anyone is complaining..... it holds, lmao

Top Bottom