URD FIX-U Hydro Bearing Conversion Kit Question

zel

07 SWB Melbourne, FL
Hi everyone! If you've ever done the URD hydro bearing mod, please let me know your experience.

I've recently had a URD stage 3 clutch installed. After this was done, the stock throwout bearing started squealing like a stuck pig, so I opted for the URD hydro bearing kit and just had it installed.

First off, the dreaded squealing of the TOB is GONE! Thanks URD!!! :D

Now for the problem... My clutch pedal seems VERY different. I have the clutch pedal play adjusted according to Toyota spec, but it seems that now instead of the clutch engaging when the pedal is 1/2 way depressed, it seems that it's engaging at about 3/4 of the way depressed and it's REALLY STIFF. The top half of the pedal motion seems to do nothing. It does shift nicely when I get it right in the sweet spot, but I just find it strange that I have to push down MUCH harder on the pedal now and the clutch engages/disengages within an inch of play, very close to the floor... Is this normal? Will it take some time to break in? Or maybe I have a kink in a hydraulic line somewhere? :confused:

(I also have a brand new Beck Arnley 072-9775 Clutch Master Cylinder, which seems to be ok.)

Has anyone that's done the hydro bearing kit noticed this same behavior? @Gadget, do you have any suggestions?
 

x-runner kid

Active Member
Sounds like your pedal isn't adjust correctly. If it's engaging and diengaging close to the floor then it's too loose. You should only have a little bit of free play before it starts to disconnect the clutch. But that's for a normal clutch not 100% on the hydro one
 
  • Like
Reactions: zel

Nashman

Active Member
be very carefull when installing some new master the rods some times can be shorter or longer then they are supposed to be
 
  • Like
Reactions: zel

zel

07 SWB Melbourne, FL
I checked for pinched-off hydraulic lines, and everything is good. I've adjusted the master cylinder push-rod about an inch shorter than what it was set at. The pedal moves from the top position a little over a full inch until it touches the push-rod now, and it seems like it's operating better. The clutch engages about 1/3 of the way up from the floor now.

It still seems that the pedal pushes back harder than it did with the stock bearing (I'm assuming it's probably just more pressure being that it's a hydraulic kit rather than the old slave cylinder). Time will tell. (I bought the truck with 90k in 2012, so maybe the old system was just really worn and I'm not use to the pedal being stiffer...). It just takes a little more precise control when easing out on the pedal now. With the Stage 3 clutch and lightweight flywheel, if I let the pedal out too quick, the truck is very eager to take off! (I have no complaints there) I'm just happy that I'm not hearing the squealing any more lol!

The shifts are MUCH SMOOTHER and seem slightly more forgiving than they were with the stock bearing and slave cylinder when I'm shifting at higher RPMs. I'll probably have to make a few more adjustments to the master cylinder push-rod as it breaks in.

@Gadget - I spoke with the mechanic and he said he didn't make any modifications to the bearing kit after all. The message was relayed to me incorrectly by another tech. (He didn't realize there was a collar he had to put on, which he ended up doing and it fit properly.)

Thanks for the comments, and thanks to URD for engineering this awesome fix for the squealing bearing!

I'll post an update in another 500 miles or so.
 

Nashman

Active Member
I checked for pinched-off hydraulic lines, and everything is good. I've adjusted the master cylinder push-rod about an inch shorter than what it was set at. The pedal moves from the top position a little over a full inch until it touches the push-rod now, and it seems like it's operating better. The clutch engages about 1/3 of the way up from the floor now.

It still seems that the pedal pushes back harder than it did with the stock bearing (I'm assuming it's probably just more pressure being that it's a hydraulic kit rather than the old slave cylinder). Time will tell. (I bought the truck with 90k in 2012, so maybe the old system was just really worn and I'm not use to the pedal being stiffer...). It just takes a little more precise control when easing out on the pedal now. With the Stage 3 clutch and lightweight flywheel, if I let the pedal out too quick, the truck is very eager to take off! (I have no complaints there) I'm just happy that I'm not hearing the squealing any more lol!

The shifts are MUCH SMOOTHER and seem slightly more forgiving than they were with the stock bearing and slave cylinder when I'm shifting at higher RPMs. I'll probably have to make a few more adjustments to the master cylinder push-rod as it breaks in.

@Gadget - I spoke with the mechanic and he said he didn't make any modifications to the bearing kit after all. The message was relayed to me incorrectly by another tech. (He didn't realize there was a collar he had to put on, which he ended up doing and it fit properly.)

Thanks for the comments, and thanks to URD for engineering this awesome fix for the squealing bearing!

I'll post an update in another 500 miles or so.


ya ya lost your lever action on the clutch's diagram so it will be harder
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: zel
Top