Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

what is the ucon usb stick for?

kwigs160966

Reaction score
i never recieved any instructions to go along with it and i dont have any idea what it is for or how to use it? i plugged it into the computer but it didn't do anything (I have a mac)?

rennurx

Reaction score
I plugged mine into the UCON itself, gave me launch control.. other then that idk either haha

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
I would say it can be used for a number of different things. Launch control, secondary map, test tune before you burn it to the UCON.
I'm sure G will chime in with all the answers.

kwigs160966

Reaction score
I plugged mine into the UCON itself, gave me launch control.. other then that idk either haha

I had mine plugged in for a while but I never really noticed launch control what does it do?

I would say it can be used for a number of different things. Launch control, secondary map, test tune before you burn it to the UCON.
I'm sure G will chime in with all the answers.

How does it burn it to the ucon?

Last edited:

Gadget

Reaction score
The UCON is delivered to you with the calibration file pre-installed.

You do not have to do anything with the USB stick.

I do load the eTune and calibration file installers on the USB stick if you wish to install them on your Windows PC.

Most of the time I will also load a TEMP file on the USB stick that has Launch control activated. If you see a file on the USB stick that starts with TEMP. and LC in it, that is will turn on launch control if you insert the USB stick into the USB port on the communications cable that is plugged into the UCON.

You can have as many custom calibrations as you want and instantly load them by placing it on the USB stick and plugging it into the UCON. The file must be prefixed with TEMP. for it to load and you can have only one TEMP file in the root directory. Once inserted the file will load and become active and it will stay active until you remove it and restart the engine.

This is useful for turning on launch control or engaging Valet mode.

In the next firmware release we hope to have two more USB functions activated. One will be to datalog simply by plugging the USB stick into the port and the other to flash a new base calibration into the UCON. We are aiming to be able to do many things using the USB stick so you will never have to plug your PC into the UCON.

USB sticks configured for the X-1 will not work in the UCON and the UCON sticks will not work in the X-1 so do not try.

G

kwigs160966

Reaction score
Thanks gadget! So I can't use it on a Mac book? Unless I find a program that will convert the files? I would like to be able to use the launch control

Gadget

Reaction score
The current software does not work on a Mac. Down the road we will have some stuff that works on Mac and iOs.

G

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
The UCON is delivered to you with the calibration file pre-installed.

You do not have to do anything with the USB stick.

I do load the eTune and calibration file installers on the USB stick if you wish to install them on your Windows PC.

Most of the time I will also load a TEMP file on the USB stick that has Launch control activated. If you see a file on the USB stick that starts with TEMP. and LC in it, that is will turn on launch control if you insert the USB stick into the USB port on the communications cable that is plugged into the UCON.

You can have as many custom calibrations as you want and instantly load them by placing it on the USB stick and plugging it into the UCON. The file must be prefixed with TEMP. for it to load and you can have only one TEMP file in the root directory. Once inserted the file will load and become active and it will stay active until you remove it and restart the engine.

This is useful for turning on launch control or engaging Valet mode.

In the next firmware release we hope to have two more USB functions activated. One will be to datalog simply by plugging the USB stick into the port and the other to flash a new base calibration into the UCON. We are aiming to be able to do many things using the USB stick so you will never have to plug your PC into the UCON.

USB sticks configured for the X-1 will not work in the UCON and the UCON sticks will not work in the X-1 so do not try.

G

You mean you're going to continue to work to improve the UCON and its capabilities. Isn't that an interesting business strategy. I thought the key to bringing this great technology to market was to sell a bunch of units, and then stop improving and supporting them. :hmmmm2:

Man I wish I could justify dropping the coin for a UCON...

Gadget

Reaction score
I am in this for the long haul.

G

Bang Bang

Reaction score
Typically how long must one drive around with the ucon to feel its total improvement? Will it learn or is it suppose to be instant? Just installed mine. Very good instructions.

dramad1

Reaction score
Typically how long must one drive around with the ucon to feel its total improvement? Will it learn or is it suppose to be instant? Just installed mine. Very good instructions.

Wow that was quick. How was it installing those cam gears and t stat. Still waiting to receive mine.

Bang Bang

Reaction score
Wasn't the nightmare that I was expecting. Have done multiple timing belts in the past but never a chain. Was pretty simple. Didn't install tstat because I will be doing TRD charger soon. Also did new stage III clutch and light weight flywheel this weekend. Truck is a new creature to me at the moment. Had no choice but to do clutch and flywheel. It went out on me last week and i had no other real transportation. Time for a daily driver.

Gadget

Reaction score
Wow that was quick. How was it installing those cam gears and t stat. Still waiting to receive mine.

Do you have one on order from URD?

If so better contact me. I think we are all caught up with the back log again except for the orders we got in the last few days.

G

butters607

Reaction score
The gears are simple just line up the marks and colors and install lol

dramad1

Reaction score
Do you have one on order from URD?

If so better contact me. I think we are all caught up with the back log again except for the orders we got in the last few days.

G

Yes I do, I placed my order back on the 7th and urd received it on the 10th. I got a confirmation saying it shipped out already and should be here by Tuesday this coming week.
Sdxrunner and myself are going to be installing as well as the fuel pump, spark plugs, mani spacer, t-stat. Just trying to get and idea of time for install as well as tools needed as I will have only two days to install everything.
Cam gears will be new to me as I haven't done anything like this yet. From what i understand its pretty easy to do if you follow your instructions. But hearing others tips and install process should help give me an idea of what I'll be getting into.

rennurx

Reaction score
Its def not a two day project it only takes a few hours..

dramad1

Reaction score
Its def not a two day project it only takes a few hours..

I was referring to all the mods I planned to put in in two days. Urd fuel pump, nst mani spacer, new plugs, ucon and a few Lil nick nacks. Assuming all goes well and I don't run into any issues.

rennurx

Reaction score
I was referring to all the mods I planned to put in in two days. Urd fuel pump, nst mani spacer, new plugs, ucon and a few Lil nick nacks. Assuming all goes well and I don't run into any issues.

Yea if u take ur time and follow all the instructions you shouldn't hit anything major.. (in 13 hours I did the UCON, cam gears, thermostat, injectors, clutch flywheel and new transmission,fuel pump/filter, traction bar, and my short shifter. I ran into no real problems. G's instructions are on point.) And I didn't have any special tools, juat my basic tool kit.

dramad1

Reaction score
Yea if u take ur time and follow all the instructions you shouldn't hit anything major.. (in 13 hours I did the UCON, cam gears, thermostat, injectors, clutch flywheel and new transmission,fuel pump/filter, traction bar, and my short shifter. I ran into no real problems. G's instructions are on point.) And I didn't have any special tools, juat my basic tool kit.

Very nice. Looks like you put in some work on your x. A lot of parts installed in just 13 hours. You give me hope, me and sdxrunner being able to knock it all out in a day or two.
Back to the thread. Lol.
Did you have to plug the USB into ucon after install or was it good to go and you just use to USB for updates and new maps/launch control etc?

rennurx

Reaction score
You should be good to go right after install, I never touched my USB until weeks after and now I use it for launch control and that's it.. the first time u go to start the truck after the UCON install it might stall, then start it again and u will be good to go!

Top Bottom