Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Write-Up: Cheap & Easy DTRL and Alternating Signal Mod!!!

COWBELL

Reaction score
just to put out there for the 09+ peeps... (just tried this out tonight)

NOTE: all i did was the alternating signals mod

on the signal lights there is no red/black wire, instead it is the only one besides the white/black ground wire. (blue or blue-green on mine) All instructions were followed along side of the original alternating signal mod.

lights off in aft detent + turn signal = all signals blink at the same time...
lights in middle detent with nothing else = outer signals steady on and nothing else...
lights in middle detent + turn signal = alternating blinker/parking signals...
lights in headlights on (forward detent) = headlights and foglights (if selected) on + turn signal = alternating signals

Hope this helps, i was happy just to see the outer markers do something when signaling
((esp at night!!!))

and thanks to the original poster for sure :top:

Last edited:

Jay Swift

"The Philippine Bean"
Reaction score
Thanks for figuring out the issue with the 09+ X's :top:

COWBELL

Reaction score
my pleasure, and still an easy mod thanks again for the basis!! :crinklehair::adore::top:

vipervenom

Reaction score
Just did this mod, but my corners no longer light up :hmmmm2: and i did was the DTRL

babyboi2284

BaggedXR2284
Reaction score
Has anyone did this mod (the non-relay method) and actually noticed that when the running light/headlight switch is off and either blinker is on that the opposite light is also blinking. Example...left running lights and headlights off, left blinker is on...both front outside left blinkers are on but on the right side the small blinker light next to the fender is also blinking....and vice versa when the right blinker is on. i love this mod cuz it looks fancy but a small part of me wants to undo the mod to stop this but i dont think i will.

Murderface

Reaction score
^^^so what are u gonna be selling when u hit 30 posts:laugh:

Baggins44

Reaction score
Just knocked the DTRL's out, trying to decide if I should do the alternating signal or not :hmmmm2: This one cost me a bulb, I accidentally drop it kinda hard against the truck and the filiment broke:argh: 8 bucks for bulbs at autozone...... oh well

Wickd X

Reaction score
Great write-up thou this is technically not a true DTRL mod as it requires you to turn your parking lights on for it to work you basically just added and extra set of parking lights. For an even simpler and true DTRL mod with NO splicing you can just take two wires and feed them thru the open spot on the signal bulb just as shown in the write-up but then take those wires and run them into the fuse box( Even thou our trucks are not set up for it all the wiring is there for the towing and SR5 packages as such there are empty spots in the fuse box for these packages.) from there refer to the owners manual to locate one of the empty spots and just push the two wires into one side and add the correct fuse as shown in the manual. This will turn the signals on as soon as the truck is started and turn them off when the truck is off without having to turn on the parking lights. This does not affect the signals they will still flash as normal when turning. From here you can follow the rest of the original write-up if you wish to do the alternating signal mod with the side parking lights.

tw31ve66

Reaction score
Just some FYI for you guys wanting to run LED bulbs: I currently have LED bulbs in all my lights except for the fogs and headlights. In order to make them work without flashing fast you need to install a load resistor at each led bulb. Great web site where i got all my bulbs from and the resistors plus they have a good bulb fitment guide and walk throughs for install! :top: link: www.vleds.com

Murderface

Reaction score
Just some FYI for you guys wanting to run LED bulbs: I currently have LED bulbs in all my lights except for the fogs and headlights. In order to make them work without flashing fast you need to install a load resistor at each led bulb. Great web site where i got all my bulbs from and the resistors plus they have a good bulb fitment guide and walk throughs for install! :top: link: www.vleds.com

Or u can get a new flasher designed to be used with LED bulbs:top: much easier then putting all those load resisters in there:top:

taco054

Reaction score
Well I'm bored bout to do this MOD it's gunna be nice. Thanks for the great write up

SDXR619

Reaction score
Got this one done today along with the fog light mod. Great outcome. Looking at the first picture posted showing the mod I was expecting that just the original signal light would be on like the new Tacoma. So earlier when i saw that both the corner and the original blinker were on I was slightly confused until I noticed a picture that showed both lights lit up . =P

Rapidformz

Reaction score
thats awsome but what about the rear lights ? is the process the same ?

boxerpicker

Reaction score
does anyone know where to get yellow light blub intesad of the amber color? i kinda dont like amber color but crisp yellow gonna look good. like the fog light color

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
I would have to check butni think i have some in the back there somewhere.

Old 'Rollas

Reaction score
So I have an 06. I did the alt and fog liamp mod. More recently, I got a set of 09+ LED tails. Everything works fine until I release my E-brake and the DRLs come on.

Here's the problem I notices. When headlamp switch is off, and my DRLs are on, my Lamps on indicator (the green headlamp light ;light) is on on my dash. When I signal, this light blinks. From the outside, both LED tail lights are on and the opposite tail light blinks alternating to the signal that is on. All this functions properly when the headlamp switch is turned on to park of full on.

I'm suspecting that because the 09+ LED tail lamps have a separate side marker LED, vs the 08- that simply use the tail light as a side marker, my alternating signal mod (the non-relay method), is back feeding through and turning on my park lights. I'm sure i could put a relay in and that should work.

My question (I'm sorry if it has been mentioned already), has anyone with an 09+ X done the non-relay mod and had the same problem, or found a solution.

For myself, I think I will simply disable the factory DRL with the write-up I found on TW.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/19468-05-drl-enable-disable-switch.html
for anyone else that wants.

Top Bottom