Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

xr's wheel lug nuts (beware!!!) - other options?

blu xr

Reaction score
so today i had a blowout and of coarse had my spare ready.
when i went to remove the tire i could not get the stock lug wrench to fit. it looked as if the hex got deformed when i had new tires put on several months ago.

i was really hacked off thinking that the tire shop used the wrong size and damaged them. i called them and the service truck was out and it would be an hour or so before they could get to me. they told me this happens some times and to use a hammer to beat the tool on nut lol...

so being stuck without help i did just that. i got 4 of the 5 off but the last nut would not budge. so i stood on the lug wrench to break it free and it "popped". i thought it was loose...

much to my dismay i found out that the chrome nut was actually just a thin sheet metal sleeve cap that fit over a steel nut under that! the factory 21mm tool was too big to fit it and i could not remove it. so i had to break down and call my wife at work to come rescue me lol.

ended up buying a proper heavy-duty tire breakover bar with sockets ($22 bucks well spent!).
i also bought a 20mm deep socket just in case. im glad i did because it saved me another trip to the parts store. it fit the steel nut underneath and i was able to get it off.

i didnt see anything about this searching this forum but im sure im not the first guy this has happened to. hopefully this will help others out in the future and you can have the proper tools in your truck or what im about to do which it find replacement lug nuts to replace the oem ones.

after i got the xr up and going again i went to orilleys and autozone but neither one of them had any aftermarket or upgraded lug nuts that would fit. they even tried to sell me totally different styles saying according their computers said would fit.

i knew they wouldnt fit because they were the ends were the beveled style rather than the stepped versions with washers. then they said it seems toyota used different nuts because the xr's rims were special. ive had two 2016 texas ed tacomas and currently own a 2019 tacoma trd sport so im gonna check to see if those lug nuts are indeed different from the xr tomorrow.

anyways, all this to ask...

has anyone else had this issue and did you replace them? if so can you tell what you used or if you know of a company to check with. im def gonna replace them so i dont get stranded again. maybe some of you guys can recommend a good brand.

thanks in advance

XeddeX

Reaction score
Yes, this has happened before. Your lugnuts swelled and thus, became a PITA to remove. Before you go WTF.... I've recently had to remove a driveshaft on a washer. One of the seals crapped out so moisture seeped thru and rusted the driveshaft. The driveshaft "swelled" just enough that I had a hell of a time pulling it through the collar. The new shaft had no problems. Moisture seeped into your plated lugnuts. Rust made them swell up enough that a 20mm isnt a 20mm anymore. Hope this makes sense.

Purchase lugnuts that appear identical (in shape) to what you currently have (non-beveled, with the washer). Sounds like you have stock alloy wheels so dont buy tuner lugs or conical lugs.

Good luck.

blu xr

Reaction score
Yes, this has happened before. Your lugnuts swelled and thus, became a PITA to remove. Before you go WTF.... I've recently had to remove a driveshaft on a washer. One of the seals crapped out so moisture seeped thru and rusted the driveshaft. The driveshaft "swelled" just enough that I had a hell of a time pulling it through the collar. The new shaft had no problems. Moisture seeped into your plated lugnuts. Rust made them swell up enough that a 20mm isnt a 20mm anymore. Hope this makes sense.

Purchase lugnuts that appear identical (in shape) to what you currently have (non-beveled, with the washer). Sounds like you have stock alloy wheels so dont buy tuner lugs or conical lugs.

Good luck.
yeah, still have stock wheels. so what brand lug nuts did you buy?

McGard is a quality product but a little pricey. Try this link at Summit Racing might work for you.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mcg-61003

those do not look like the right ones.

shaft is too long and it does not have the washer.

Ringer

Reaction score

The shank on the those lugs are 3/4" and the stock lug shank is 5/8" but they do come with polished stainless steel washers. McGard chrome plated lug nuts are warranted for life not to chip, peel, or rust. Yon can check the specs section on xru and the tread size your looking for is 12mm x 1.50.

blu xr

Reaction score
gonna try the lug nuts that are on my supra to see if they work...btw they are blue anodized

Older Guy

Reaction score
I had the same problem....worked out a deal with the dealer and I think paid $3 each for new ones. Dumb guys at tire shops use US sockets on Metric nuts is usually the problem I've had.

blu xr

Reaction score
I had the same problem....worked out a deal with the dealer and I think paid $3 each for new ones. Dumb guys at tire shops use US sockets on Metric nuts is usually the problem I've had.
i think that's what happened to mine...wrong size used. they denied it, but they are the only shop ive used for the last 5-6 years.

ive bought new tires from them on at least 2 occasions and had numerous repairs done. this is the first flat ive had to change on the xr in years.

Top Bottom