Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Antifreeze, where you buying and are you...

Venomous_X

Reaction score
Yeah, so I am nearing 51k and am planning on a flush and fill but dont really have time to go to the dealership (at least until June) to actually have it done. I know you can buy the pre dilluted 50/50 mixture of the super long life and the undilluted mixture. My question is which would be wiser? I mean I dont know how long someones gallon sat on a shelf, is it just safer to get the undilluted? If you've had your service done for a flush and fill how much did it run you? I noticed that my overflow jug is a little on the low side but dont and have not run hotter than normal as far as temperatures. I'll check further info tomorrow but for now Im just trying to debate on if I want to just buy and do it myself or if I am better off doing the flush at Toyota.

Coupe

Reaction score
I have been running the Toyota pink stuff. If I did want to make the drive to the dealer ( in my case, the dealer is across the street) I would just go to the local parts house and buy one of the big name anti-freeze suppliers. I would buy it undiluted and diluted it myself.

rich017

Reaction score
All Toyota will do is drain the radiator and then fill it back up. That is not a flush, but that is how they do it.

Just do it yourself. Drain the radiator and the overflow tank. Then remove the upper radiator hose and the thermostat housing. Start the truck and stick a hose in there so that the truck will pick up the clean water and flush it through the system. Do that until you do not see any more pink fluid coming out of the motor. Now your motor is flushed. To flush the radiator, just fill and drain it a few times with hose water.

Then mix your antifreeze 50/50 (cheaper to get UN-diluted) and fill the radiator. Then start the truck and keep filling and wait until the truck gets to operating temps so the T-stat will open and suck in the new fluid. Fill up again and then take the truck for a drive and fill the radiator up again. Just use the green stuff.

08x

Reaction score
actually rich your wrong we do flush them at my toyota dealership atleast and you do no our radiator fluid is good for 7 years or 100k miles

rich017

Reaction score
actually rich your wrong we do flush them at my toyota dealership atleast and you do no our radiator fluid is good for 7 years or 100k miles

I would never let the OEM fluid sit in there that long. Mine turned brown after 2 years.

How do you all do a flush? All the dealerships I have been to (Ford, Toyota, Chevy) just drain and then fill the radiator and call it a flush.

08x

Reaction score
we have a flush machine u unhook the upper radiator hose and put ends in the hose and on the radiator hose and hook the lines up to flush it

Venomous_X

Reaction score
well i peeked at my overflow tank and it is a bit low...no high temps or anything but its low so im going to top it off and see about the dealership when I can because frankly even though I can do it myself I can use a few other dealership maintenance goodies now that I think about it.

To bearing is squealing again and I still have a water leak heading into the passenger floor area although werty gave me a bit of insight to where it may be hiding.

x20Runner05

Reaction score
yes the the pink fluid is 50/50 mix and is good for 100k miles. I work at a dealer.

I would never let the OEM fluid sit in there that long. Mine turned brown after 2 years.

How do you all do a flush? All the dealerships I have been to (Ford, Toyota, Chevy) just drain and then fill the radiator and call it a flush.
Some cars it can turn brown but not generally with the newer systems

we have a flush machine u unhook the upper radiator hose and put ends in the hose and on the radiator hose and hook the lines up to flush it
We have machines at my dealer and it flushes the coolant aslo

well i peeked at my overflow tank and it is a bit low...no high temps or anything but its low so im going to top it off and see about the dealership when I can because frankly even though I can do it myself I can use a few other dealership maintenance goodies now that I think about it.

To bearing is squealing again and I still have a water leak heading into the passenger floor area although werty gave me a bit of insight to where it may be hiding.
Donny meet up with me one afternoon and i will help you out bro or i come to your house. You have my number and you know where i work. I do all i can to help you out. Your overflow should be at the full line or a tad bit below that. Trust me that temp guage will start to clime if you are getting really low on coolant. What dealer maintenance goodies you want Donny give me a call i can come help you at the house bro.

autobodyX

Reaction score
Be sure to use distilled water if you mix your own coolant. I would fush with it as well. I'm getting ready to do mine at 70k.

rich017

Reaction score
haha, damn. The dealers I have been to must have been low-tech because I have never seen a coolant flushing machine.

08x

Reaction score
honestly thoe i dont liek our machine it makes to much of a mess and takes to much time you no how that is all about makin the hours lol

Murderface

Reaction score
When I did my X-1 install I drained the radiator and opened both plugs on the block and drained the motor the best I could. Then I stole some long life antifreeze from work and used that for the engine and intercooler system. It doesn't have to be the Toyota antifreeze although it is supposed to be good shit.
Def don't waste ur money on the 50/50 mix, ur paying for half water:thumpdown:

rich017

Reaction score
When I did my X-1 install I drained the radiator and opened both plugs on the block and drained the motor the best I could. Then I stole some long life antifreeze from work and used that for the engine and intercooler system. It doesn't have to be the Toyota antifreeze although it is supposed to be good shit.
Def don't waste ur money on the 50/50 mix, ur paying for half water:thumpdown:

Half water and more expensive too I believe.

Where are these drain plugs? I have never seen them

micpun

Reaction score
if your looking at the engine bay its on the radiator on the bottom right hand side.

Murderface

Reaction score
if your looking at the engine bay its on the radiator on the bottom right hand side.

No he's talking about the block drain plugs. If u look under the exhaust manifolds on either side u will see them, theyre brass I believe and have a little thing u turn to drain the block. Last time I saw them was over a year ago when I did my X-1 install so don't quote me on the brass part.

CBRBob

Reaction score
You can do this very simply. Empty the overflow. Drain as much out of the radiator/block as you can. Fill the system with DISTILLED water. Never put water from a hose in. Let it run, the level will drop, top it off. As long as temps are above freezing, take it for a short drive. Let it cool off, drain it all out again. Premix coolant that is TOYOTA specific (there are several kinds out there), so look on the label. You might want to add a pint not mixed since there was mostly water in there before. Use Distilled water when mixing. Fill it up, run it so the t-stat opens and the level drops. Then top it off. Fill the bottle to the high mark when the engine is up to normal temp. It may drop as you drive it as air pockets will be displaced.

Having a low coolant bottle will not make your tuck run hot since that coolant has nothing to do with cooling the truck. It's whats in the system. If the bottle is empty, then besides there being a leak, the system could be low.

Venomous_X

Reaction score
well i dont have a trail coming from either hose, or overflow, so it would appear my waterpump or housing is on the shit. I dont have enough light by the time I get home to assess the damage, but I am either thinking thermostat housing or waterpump...thoughts?

KETCHUP

Reaction score
I agree, eff that 50/50. Has anyone actually bought the pink stuff from the steelership?

burnboy

Reaction score
Ok, water is water. Argue with me if you like. Distilled water is acidic. Id use tap water, matter of fact mercedes benz might tell you the same. ;-) ponder that. So really there is no right or wrong. Id use what toyota specifies. There is a reason they specify a certain coolant. Also, if you're going to use green coolant orange coolant any other coolant, you better get all existing antifreeze out of the system. Id flush it twice with water to make sure. Mixing antifreezes creates a chemical reaction and causes sediment and can and will clog things like coolant passages in heater cores and radiators. Food for thought

well i dont have a trail coming from either hose, or overflow, so it would appear my waterpump or housing is on the shit. I dont have enough light by the time I get home to assess the damage, but I am either thinking thermostat housing or waterpump...thoughts?

Where did this come from? Why would u think something is damaged? Think of the temps coolant is being exposed to, I don't know where it goes but systems get low over time.

Last edited:

Venomous_X

Reaction score
Ok, water is water. Argue with me if you like. Distilled water is acidic. Id use tap water, matter of fact mercedes benz might tell you the same. ;-) ponder that. So really there is no right or wrong. Id use what toyota specifies. There is a reason they specify a certain coolant. Also, if you're going to use green coolant orange coolant any other coolant, you better get all existing antifreeze out of the system. Id flush it twice with water to make sure. Mixing antifreezes creates a chemical reaction and causes sediment and can and will clog things like coolant passages in heater cores and radiators. Food for thought

Where did this come from? Why would u think something is damaged? Think of the temps coolant is being exposed to, I don't know where it goes but systems get low over time.
Ok, the sight of a pink puddle under my truck lead me to believe Im leaking coolant lol... seriously though I looked over all my hoses and what I could see of the thermostat housing and only thing i have left to clearly try and rule out is the waterpump and the seals on it... I can clearly verify that the pump is working, i just cant hold coolant as it is all over the bottom of the engine and front near all my pulleys. When I have daytime I feel it will be necessary to pull the fan and shroud off to prove or disprove my theory.

Top Bottom