Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

First Warranty Issue

DOGSTOY06

Banned
Reaction score
Well at 44,800 miles got my first warranty issue.this ones with the cruise control.was on I-95 coming outta ormond bch heading home clicked the cruise in at 70 and it would not hold.tried a second time,same thing.took the bad boy into k.p.toyota and had my mech ricky look at it.the speed sensor in the tranny was good,checked the wheel sensor it was good, checked the ecu it was good,by the time we got done I had the code gun hooked up the laptop hooked up multimeters hooked up and the instrument panel out.turns out the second speed senor that sends the signal to the ecu went bad,so in short the instrument cluster gets changed. thank god i had extended warranty ,deductable is 100.00 or it would be 352.68 for the cluster and 1.5 hr labor rate.the truck will be down for 2 days while new cluster is shipped to k.p.t but i get a free loaner truck.the new cluster has to have present mileage burned into the new cluster so the truck can't leave the garage till the new one gets installed.:top:

Stevenredx

Reaction score
I always thought the mileage was stored in the ecu and the cluster just displayed that? Hmmm... learn something new everyday. Glad to see your getting some use out of that extended warranty :rock:

DOGSTOY06

Banned
Reaction score
yeah the warranty guy has to verify the breakage.then record mileage and phone over the mileage to toyota parts who burns the mileage into the new cluster then its shipped.quite involved because of federal regs about the odometer.the interesting part was i had the cruise light but no engagement.:top:

Twisted Creations

Reaction score
not that I would ever suggest this, but one could always get one out of a junk yard, or e-*ay, if they had no warranty. I had to get one for my Tundra, when i broke one of those stupid needles installing gauges. Just out of curiosity, I plugged in the cluster, it would have shown mileage at 29k. Cost was $45. yea for a stupid needle :argh:

DOGSTOY06

Banned
Reaction score
with all the bullshizit you have to go through,I'd dare say they (the cluster) is vin coded to the truck.so if anything happened and it was discovered you'd probably wind up in jail not to mention the warranty voided on the spot.

hack6500

Reaction score
actually...

with all the bullshizit you have to go through,I'd dare say they (the cluster) is vin coded to the truck.so if anything happened and it was discovered you'd probably wind up in jail not to mention the warranty voided on the spot.

in reality... the mileage is stored in the cluster only, and it is not VIN coded! On GM products often times the VIN is only on a sticker on the rear removable panel of the cluster, an easy swap, or not coded at all.

however... i would put my money on the EVENT DATA RECORDER to log or flag such activity. this is the real black box we need to get into... its in the drivers air-bag (or so i have been told). if anyone has some information on that, i would be interested in reading....

wshsbears

Reaction score
the mileage isn't only stored in one place, the computer has a log for it, the dash has a log for it, the black box has a log for it and every time u bring it into a shop they log it too and it goes into a national database which is where carfax gets all its information.

flyinbryan

Reaction score
just for the record, theres nothing wrong with buying a quality part from a quality "salvage yard" my dad owns one here and when done right its a great way to save some money.

its just the slimy nasty yards that give the industry a bad name.

sorry kinda felt obligated to make that point lol

DOGO X

Reaction score
in reality... the mileage is stored in the cluster only, and it is not VIN coded! On GM products often times the VIN is only on a sticker on the rear removable panel of the cluster, an easy swap, or not coded at all.

however... i would put my money on the EVENT DATA RECORDER to log or flag such activity. this is the real black box we need to get into... its in the drivers air-bag (or so i have been told). if anyone has some information on that, i would be interested in reading....

Just like on the ford, If you chand sepeedo and not the ecu you are toast! :biggrin:

quicky06

Reaction score
if you tried to start the vehicle with the used custer ugged in it shoudnt run long if at all. every module in new cars are VIN written. its a big pain because it asks you "Are You Sure" 20 times before the scan tool will write the vin then burns the bridges behind it. so if your wrong you just bought a puter.

nxrunner

Reaction score
if you tried to start the vehicle with the used custer ugged in it shoudnt run long if at all. every module in new cars are VIN written. its a big pain because it asks you "Are You Sure" 20 times before the scan tool will write the vin then burns the bridges behind it. so if your wrong you just bought a puter.

interesting.

xrunner5-0

Reaction score
So who was planning all of this and why?:dontknow: It does not seem worth it

DOGSTOY06

Banned
Reaction score
warranty issue update

took my xr in tues for the cluster swap.no probs till the new cluster was plugged in and the check engine light came on and the code thrown for no cruise control. short in wiring somewhere.who •XR•XR•XR•XRin knows.have third brand new cluster in hand but have to find short to fix the cruise prob.ricky is online with yota tech reps as i type.had stereo installed and steering wheel control but according to ricky they have nothing to do with it.I'm at a total loss for possibilities.no other wiring has been messed with.:dontknow:

Top Bottom