Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

MPG improving mods?

Mr.X

Reaction score
All these are good ideas but one thing I noticed made a difference was lighter wheels my Enkei (rpf1 18x10.5 all around)weighed 17lbs each when stocks are 30* some pounds each. Less rolling mass is less weight to roll around also I did a few weight reduction mods like a small race braille battery that was 17lbs vs the stock that is around 55lbs. The rails on the bed with the knobs are around 22lbs I took those out bc I don't use them. The windshield wiper fluid resavor is like 15lbs I took that out. I have the xii mono leaf springs that are 19lbs and stocks are 80lbs. So you don't have to sacrifice too much to drop some pounds and as for mods go I have a
TRD intake
Custom y pipe w/2 resonators/ 3" exhaust w/ 1 resonator and 18" muffler
NST pulleys
Urd maf cal

I just went to the socal xrunner meet with two passengers and myself that's about 615lbs

I got a few races in and I was on the freeway doing 80mph and my overall tank avg was 26mpg!!!!

Scottiekoby

Reaction score
ultragauge helps if you have good self discipline. gained about 20 miles extra on a full tank. helps me shift at better times and give more efficient throttle. I still occasionally open it up though ;-)

stepdaddy

Reaction score
ive noticed horrible millage while doing long road trips at like 70-80mph. I was around 16mpg while its usually around 18-18.5

MplsX

Reaction score
It's not what you drive but how you drive that counts. Go to YouTube and check out Top Gear m3 vs Prius...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmxUsGiGp3w

Also if you remove your spare tire you are running the risk of having to call someone for help when you get an unrepairable flat. If you pump up your tires real high you will give up a large amount of control and braking ability, not to mention premature tire wear. If you run your fuel tank low you risk overheating your fuel pump and will need to replace it much sooner than normal. Don't fall for the false economy of this kind of stuff, just drive slower and don't accelerate so hard.

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
This^^^^^^. Couldn't be said better.

MplsX

Reaction score
This^^^^^^. Couldn't be said better.

Whoa there, Torspd...

I've worked hard to get my reputation where it is and now you are putting it in danger. I better do some first aid quick.

If you change out your restrictive and dirty air filter for a new clean filter you will get more power since the airflow will increase and more fuel can be injected. Your MPG's will not increase however. On a modern engine the air is metered and a appropriate amount of fuel is added. More air gets more fuel, less air gets less fuel. No change in MPG.

Do your maintenance though, hopefully you are using the severe service schedule to get the most life out of your vehicle!

Edgeman

Reaction score
Don't forget the most simple thing, maintain your optimal tire pressure. I picked up a nail, and don't think my TPMS light came on until that pressure in that tire had dropped down to ~21psi. You may be rolling around with less than optimal pressure.

Top Bottom