My 09+ sub solution

Discussion in 'Speakers / Subwoofers / Enclosures' started by RumRunner, Feb 11, 2012.

1. RsobarR

RsobarR New Member

[​IMG]

I took mine apart yesterday. (i like taking stuff apart)

I want to replace the factory sub with a what is called a " real subwoofer."

RumRunner has the right idea, I need to know what you did. thanks

#21 RsobarR, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  2. Shortgun

Shortgun Member

nice. how long did that take?

3. RsobarR

RsobarR New Member

Figuring how to take it out of the truck took 10 minutes. Once i knew how, it took two minutes to pop out and remove the 4 bolts.

As far as the rest of the box, it took about 15 minutes to take out the 20 or so torx screws. There are 4 torx screws that hold the speaker in, which are recessed pretty far down, so you will need a long torx wrench for those.

4. cdadalia

cdadalia New Member

i would def purchase, pics up for the build! this is great

5. RumRunner

RumRunner New Member

I have to take it out soon to get the back seats reupholstered. Ill take more pics then; I didnt take many pics of the build. Basically i built a box with typical mdf/fiberglass construction. I had to build a new steel bracket that bolts to the stock brackets to bolt the new sub to. Wires run through the back wall and under the carpet.

6. xrunner4.0

xrunner4.0 New Member

I'd love to see more pics. This is the first sub box I've seen that I would build to put in my truck!

7. RsobarR

RsobarR New Member

His is a much better idea than what the factory stuck back there.

#27 RsobarR, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  8. JFrame

JFrame New Member

Any update on pics?

9. 2012TxNinja

2012TxNinja New Member

Same on the "want one" club. But im a symmetry kinda guy so im leaning more towards the access door panels because I also want to add to more mids in the mix

10. COMEGETSOME

COMEGETSOME New Member

wow super sharp:top: im it the design stage for my 07 x but yours is a little better looking. just about identical not the best at spelling this is my first time trying to use fiber glass can i get a few pointers ?u should do a wright up. i also thought about using bondo to slope it with :dontknow: what do ya'll think????

11. babyboi2284

babyboi2284 BaggedXR2284

You do not need to use bondo to slope it. Once you have the MDF/wood structure you can use fleece to stretch over it and staple it to the back side then saturate it with fiberglass resin. After it dries then use bondo to fill in the low areas and get the shape you want...then glaze putty to fill in pin holes. If you make your rings beveled the fleece will give it a nice transition and curves to the straight areas.

12. RumRunner

RumRunner New Member

Yea you have to fiberglass it out before you touch it with bondo. Make it atleast 1/4" in the fiberglass section and then apply filler to smooth it out. If you just use bondo without fiberglass it will be so thick it will crack and fall off. These pics show more detail including the back and side trim detail.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Xoverdose

Xoverdose New Member

That looks amazing! I am on the want list too haha.

How much power does the stock HU put out to the sub? Would you need amp if you weren't looking for a ton of power or is the HU too small to get enough sound out of?

14. RumRunner

RumRunner New Member

honestly.. ditch the factory headunit. I tried to stick with it as long as possible. The new stuff is the difference between night and day with tons of tuning options. You wont get that with the stock HU; theyre way too underpowered. It may be more expensive to buy a new headunit and amp, but the install is way easier.

15. Ccaruolo

Ccaruolo New Member

clean brotha!

16. X-Pablo

X-Pablo Member

That's awesome! I need to get rid of that stupid flux capacitor in the back, replace it with a real sub.

17. nubz69

nubz69 New Member

That is one of the best looking sub enclosures I have seen in a truck.

18. nick_gz1

nick_gz1 Active Member

Yea I Need to look into coming up on something like that, wish I was bob the builder or handy manny, I can't do shit hahaha

19. fuseaku

fuseaku Active Member

RumRunner, did you ever end up making these for people, or are we on our own? lol Love your design, gotta get rid of the crap they put in there stock!