Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Porter Cable 7424 and what else?

Stevenredx

Reaction score
I know a lot of you guys use the buffers and I'm not real familiar with them or what all i need. From my research i have done it seems the best and safest thing i can get is a dual action Porter Cable 7424.

toolsplus_2005_11722542

My main use for it will just routine polishing and waxing (after clay barring). What pads, backing plates and other stuff should i look at getting? I know there is a lot of package deals out there in the $200+ range but i don't really want to buy a bunch of stuff that i wont ever use. If it means any thing, i would like to still use my meguiares polish and waxes.

SickRedXRnr

"OK, Good Talk"
Reaction score
this is the one i use steve.... its bad ass... here is the best site youll ever find for detailing stuff... i use it like twice a month...
http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-polishers.html
thats all the porter cable stuff you can possibly get...
Might i recommend that use the one that attaches and then you Velcro the pads on and off... saves you A LOT of time

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
I use the Ultimate detailing machine, it is pretty much a juiced up porter cable. If you want some supplies let me know I am a dealer for lots of stuff you may need...

For applying wax and glaze use a soft pad with no cut. To remove wax and glaze use a microfiber bonnet over one of these pads.

http://sonus-usa.com/sonus-foam-polishing-pads.html check out this link - here is the stuff i use.

Raversman

Banned
Reaction score
5" backing plate and 6 1/2 inch pad. each color pad has a different use. Use the blue or red CCS pads for waxes and glazes.

HiTek21

Reaction score
You should pick up some lake country Orange, White, and Red pads.

Orange has a mild to medium cutting ability so if you have moderate swirl marks you can mate it up to most compounds to give you a swirl free polish.

White has a mild cutting ability to apply your final polish or if you have really really light swirling.

Red pad is for applying sealants and waxes.

The orange pads have changed a bit from their old ones, these new ones like to grab a lot and make your buffer jerk around a bit. I have heard that if you use Pinnacle XMT Pad Conditioner spray before you start it will reduce that but I've never tried.

I've been wanting to try those new Edge 2000 6" pads because you can quickly snap it in and start using it, then flip it over for a fresh clean pad.

Stevenredx

Reaction score
Where are you guys buying your pads at? I'm having trouble finding a reputable company selling red pads. Also, is there a certain brand backing plate and pads that are the best?

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
http://sonus-usa.com/udm-1000-na.html

yhst-38019199676181_1998_3555953

Pick up this brother, its a porter cable with a little more oomph behind it when you need it!

I wouldn't get that set of pads, the red ones are all you will need. The others in that kit have cut for using abrasive polishes. If you are maintaining your paint all you should use is the red pads.

You should have a red pad for each chemical you use (cleaner, glaze, wax, etc...).

Stevenredx

Reaction score
So you don't think i should use a white one with my polish, at-least the first time using the machine on the paint?

So red for polish and wax, right?

Keep the info coming, you guys saving me some money. :rock:

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
So you don't think i should use a white one with my polish, at-least the first time using the machine on the paint?

So red for polish and wax, right?

Keep the info coming, you guys saving me some money. :rock:

That is correct. Unless you want to take away clear coat (to remove deep scratches, holograms, webbing, etc...) dont use a pad with any cut.

The red pads are perfect for polishing (to get rid of light scratches and swirls), waxxing, and glazing.

Always use the least aggressive method first.

Raversman

Banned
Reaction score
Steven dont listen to deathshadow. That polisher is poon. What you want is the FLEX XC3401 VRG. FTW
When the porter cable is on full blast this polisher does it on 3, and wont burn your paint no matter what.

Stevenredx

Reaction score
Steven dont listen to deathshadow. That polisher is poon. What you want is the FLEX XC3401 VRG. FTW

Thats getting out of my price range.... the porter cable will probably work just fine for me and its also budget friendly.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
lol The flex is also an orbital, the DA is the correct choice for a novice detailer.

There is no need to be on full blast with the DA when working in glazes and waxes.

If your waxing on full blast your not doing it properly.

HiTek21

Reaction score
Side by side compairson with the Flex 3401 and PC7424, the Flex can remove defects faster than the PC but it's more than double the cost. There is only one size backing plate for the Flex so you can't use smaller pads to get those tight areas. I can't wait to get my hands on the flex when I get some extra cash.

[youtube]Yht1uHJLNlQ[/youtube]

Top Bottom