Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

trd blower or urd supercharger?

turbomach1

Reaction score
Very nice. Do you manage to find and use a set of closed chamber heads for that engine?

Rick
lucked up and found the whole car in a feild. it was all orignal 71 mustang mach 1. i have always wanted one since i saw the first gone in 60 sec.

5000XD

Reaction score
My opinion if it counts:
I went TRD because it was the simplest way for me (being abroad and all). I do agree that with the new URD systems the potential is almost endless. But you would need to do some serious work on the engine to be safe imho.

Bottomline is that you can't go wrong, TRD or URD. Boost is addicting. Getting the power to the ground is another chapter.

turbomach1

Reaction score
My opinion if it counts:
I went TRD because it was the simplest way for me (being abroad and all). I do agree that with the new URD systems the potential is almost endless. But you would need to do some serious work on the engine to be safe imho.

Bottomline is that you can't go wrong, TRD or URD. Boost is addicting. Getting the power to the ground is another chapter.

i like it when the tires are the weak point. knocking out the first weak is the tranny. i had a vortech supercharged b16 hatch a year ago that was a blast to drive. loved it when you pulled up next to people and they stared at it bc of the wining noise.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 90

turbomach1

Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8A29reRR0k&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8A29reRR0k&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

here a video of it.

aaronc7

Reaction score
little late to the party but it all depends on your goals. positive displacement like the TRD is good for a nice power bump across the whole powerband.... basically makes the engine feel like a larger displacement engine. Problem is that style of blower isn't very efficient and even less so once you start flowing more air and increasing boost. Then at a point it's just blowing hot air and not making good power.

The URD definitely has more potential for big power if that's what you're going for. But overall it's a more complicated system (more piping, parts, etc). The style compressor it has is more efficient overall but generally not going to give you the same kind of low end power that a PD will. Drag / sushi roll racing URD is better for sure.

Basically comes down to what your goals are.... maybe you like the idea of slap it on and forget (TRD) or like tinkering and always trying to get the most out of the system, or like to keep upgrading for more powa (UrD)

turbomach1

Reaction score
Basically comes down to what your goals are.... maybe you like the idea of slap it on and forget (TRD) or like tinkering and always trying to get the most out of the system, or like to keep upgrading for more powa (UrD)[/QUOTE]

its a hobby for me. anything i can do to make it faster than before. the truck isnt my DD, so i would love to have a big window for power in the future.

well i guess i am going to save my pennys for the urd. :blurock:

brownbrown

Reaction score
Here in California we need a Carb E.O. Number. So options are dropped if you want to pass smog.

Any magic happening with URD on getting a Carb number?

5000XD

Reaction score
And they ask if it's a bird under your hood lol. Sounds nice!

SooRunner

Reaction score
Here in California we need a Carb E.O. Number. So options are dropped if you want to pass smog.

Any magic happening with URD on getting a Carb number?

I agree on this...If you know someone that does smog and let you slide passing the "visual" part, then you can pass smog with the URD. I passed with DTLT and stock Y pipe.

I doubt G is going to drop 10K+ to get a CARB # for the kits...I've seen someone try to do it for a s/c for the Miatas...failed like 2-3 times that cost him a ton of $$$.

Once you put the system that you are trying to get CARB to the test you can not touch/tweak the car at all its a pass or fail.

turbomach1

Reaction score
i live in mississippi. we dont have a inspection as fare as smog. they just check blinkers and horn. i have not had a sticker in 7 years on any of my vehicles. we also dont have to run cats either.

darthyota

Reaction score
its not a roots its a lysholm screw if i remember correctly from earlier posts made about it

hey g who is that blower made by?

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
Man i saw an actual stock pulley this weekend and wow its big..lol....

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Nice!
And SDX giving me a learning!

2.7 upper, Doug thorley Shorties (50 state legal i think)with high flow 50 state cats, URD y with 2 mini cats, cat back.

URD fuel pump and my fpr mod for fueling. That will make over 300whp....:biggrin:

Hell, ucon ems is invisible to the Sniffer, I bet you could get away with the 668s if you put the stock airbox on as it completely blocks the fuel rail and nobody can see it.

If it passes the Sniffer, and Everything visible that's Not stock(if they can tell its not OEM) has a Carb sticker, you can still build a fast Tacoma. Shit, I convinced a sheriff that my mrk1 was a factory option trd s/c unit after he popped my Hood for setting every car alarm in a parking structure after a mrk1 back fire. Cops ain't bright, and typically cops only bug civics with fart cannons and bro dozers with 20" lifts....so don't worry about getting your Hood popped unless your street racing...but you have bigger issues then getting reffed at that point.:rolleyez:

Remember, smog is only every two years....first six years since original purchase you are smog exempt. So a 2012 wont have to pass smog till 2018...by then, $100 Buck says they will be obd2 only and all smog station(Sniffer test) will be long gone...:top: cali is running out of money, plain and simple.

Top Bottom