Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Truck Bed Flag Pole Mount

Reaction score
Before you say anything, I've been told this is retarded by some and I've been told this is a very cool idea to some. That being said, laugh if you want but it's something I want to do but don't know how and I'm using the internet and the XR Gods to assist.

So I wanted to mount an American flag in my truck bed for the 10th Anniversary of 9/11. Granted, I've been wanting to do this since I had my 2003 Tacoma back in 2005 but at that time, I wasn't as interested in cars as I was trolling for tuna so it never got done. Thing is, I want it semi-permanent. I'd prefer it to be a rig that's removable so when I have to haul things, a 3 foot pole mount won't be dead center in the way. I do want the flag to be displayed near center of the bed. The current thought it by using 2x4 and making a "cross" or + with a little sturdy flag pole mount on the cross section. The big issues I'm running into are at highway speeds (or even lowly 45 mph speeds), the flag will no doubt take off with the whole rig in tow. I'm not about to start a hazard using Old Glory. This type of mount is the best I've seen yet but with this guy's Tacoma, he had a tool bed with which the front part of the cross went under and provided stability as well as using a C-clamp to help stabilize the flag higher up.

I'm open for suggestions preferably not drilling into the actual truck bed itself. I don't have a hitch so these hitch mounts won't do and like I said, I'd prefer to have it for 9/11 so time is of the essence here.

I appreciate constructive help and I suppose anyone wanting to make fun go right on ahead.

bigdreams

Reaction score
I'd say use L-shaped brackets on the ends of a 2x4 and attach it to either the front or rear bed bolts. drill a hole in the center of the 2x4, attach another 2x4 using a few screws in the center to make a vertical brace, and use a typical hose clamp to secure the flag upright

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm a little confused by what you replied with but since it's late, I'm tired, and I'm not about to go outside and look at my truck at the moment, I'll reread this in the AM and take a look at the bed and put the two together.

For now, still open to more ideas so that way if one doesn't work, I have a potential backup.

Reaction score
So I had a small victory today with this mount. I did it the original way I intended to by making a cross pattern and zipping it all together with a board on top. I used one full 2x4x12, about 12 galvanized deck screws, a PVC flag mount, 1 inch thick dowel, 550 cord, 2 split rings, and my flag.

Here's the pre-test drive pictures. I drilled two holes (one front to back, one side to side) through the dowel and the mount and used two bolts to secure it better than the little wingnuts they provided. I drilled two holes through the dowel at the locations of where the brass rings in the flag would be. I looped some 550 through the hole, tied a knot and burned it to keep it tied permanently, and used the split rings to connect the flag to the 550. I made a little error on my cutting and didn't allow for the saw blade width so the side to side board is about 1/8 inch to short on both sides but since it's one piece, I couldn't do anything to fix that but since the 2 front to back boards were also a hair short, I just widened the boards out with the tailgate open, then slowly closed the tailgate until it was ALMOST closed and that's where I screwed the board in so when the tailgate is fully closed, it puts pressure on the whole rig and hopefully will give it a little more structural rigidity.

I made sure to use pressure treated wood too since the rig will always be outdoors. I don't have any weight on it but I do plan to use the side rail mounting hooks and two ratchet straps to give it a little stabilization higher up on the pole.

When the wife gets home, she'll drive and I'll ride in the back during the 65 mph test to ensure that it doesn't decide to grow wings. I'm positive the 2x4's are heavy enough to keep it down but just wanna be sure. I know it'll do fine for in town driving and 45 or under limits.

6130744765_cd210b5870_b.jpg

6131297316_03ca699107_b.jpg

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
Doubt that the PVC (flag mount) will stand up to much abuse.
Go the plumbing section of your local hardwave store and get some steel fittings! :top:
Or...
put the mount closer to the cab and stick the flag pole in the 45˚ position instead. :dontknow:

SpcWashington

Reaction score
Looks good, but I would have to agree with BSP06XRU's statement. If your planning on a long term solution that is.

Gators Taco

<a . href="http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/sho
Reaction score
Try to tie the flag pole, below the flag, down to the "D" ring on the floor on either side.

triumphx

Reaction score
PVC will hold up it'll just bend, if your worried about it get some black pipe(natural gas pipe) or galvanized is cheaper

TXrunner

Reaction score
I say use some gas pipe and mount it higher for everyone to see!!

bigdreams

Reaction score
add an actuator and a motor to make the flag move up and down

Reaction score
Thanks guys. This is the temporary fix... sort of. The mounting bracket is the temp fix. The wood is the permanent removable solution. I didn't want to put anything solid into the bed and ruin the functionality of the bed. I will continue to perfect it. I've been told by my buddy "You should've used conduit or some sort of metal piping." I have a friend who owns a metal shop but he's super busy at the moment. I'm going to see if he can fab up something a little more solid that I can bold onto the frame or I might just have him fab up the entire shebang depending on what he charges.

As far as the abuse, what I've done is taken the 4 cleats I have and put two up front all the way and two at the back all the way. Then, I've taken the ratchet straps and made a huge "UnderArmor" logo type of deal. It seems to have stabilized the pole a great deal. I had my wife sew the flag up because when I took it down the road, the single stitching on the top and bottom already began to unravel. So she did a double stitch on both top and bottom using a heavier thread and a triple stitch on the back. I'm also going to have her fab it up to where the flag actually slides over the pole (heh heh) because part of the problem (as I rode in the bed and watched) was the middle part of the flag that is closest to the pole takes the brunt of the wind and if it were mounted all the way down, it would provide better stability.

Overall, I have a feeling that in it's current form with the extra doodads on the flag, it should be good for at least 55mph driving. Until I get the upgraded mounting, I don't think it's going on the interstate just yet.

Personally, I like it better in the middle but if anything, I'd have it more towards the back. The 2x4 is plenty heavy and I didn't see any signs of it taking off even in the 65mph run we did.

triumphx

Reaction score
For a permanent fixture use black pipe for gas line. 1/2" or 3/4" would do. They make a mount that would be perfect too, its round with 4 holes to mount it to the bed wherever you choose and is threaded for the pipe in the middle. Black pipe does rust over along time unless you paint it, it would look sick with a swb pole!

Reaction score
TriumphX, I didn't want a permanent solution which is why I opted against directly bolting to the bed.

However, I replaced the plastic mount with a pipe flange and a 4 foot threaded galvanized pipe. Did the same by drilling two holes for the flag and used eyebolts to connect to the split rings on the flag. Put my bed mount cleats in the front and back and put a ratchet strap one in both directions to give it just that much more rigidity. My wife sewed a "sock" from below the top grommet to above the bottom grommet to provide stability in the middle and it works like a charm. I had it up to 70 mph yesterday and didn't feel uncomfortable about losing the flag.

So if you want to do this or know someone who does, shoot them my way because it's really simple. Plus, if I ever want to go a little higher or do an angle, I can just add angled piping to the mount or extenders. One other perk I found is that I just unscrew the flag, roll it up onto the pole, throw the pole in the back seat floor area and leave the assembly back there. I can take it out at anytime if I choose to if I need the bed for something or I can remove it altogether in less than a minute.

triumphx

Reaction score
Right on man, i have my plumbing license(no longer plumb anymore) and thought i could of been assistance to you but i have bigger problems. Like figuring out how to stop damn oil from sitting in my turbo!!!

triumphx

Reaction score
Exactly and my DD jetta turbo blew today whooo down to my bike

Top Bottom