Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

wet sanding

102nd7

Reaction score
Any1 every wet sand and polish there truck? If so is it worth the effort

BlackXrunner05

Reaction score
I've only known two people that have done it or have had it done.... Both of their trucks were repainted ,one because of an accident and the other just because lol.... You'd have to be careful as there isn't a lot of room for error . The stock clear coat is thin andyou can burn through it quickly !

BlackCat

Reaction score
Why do you want to wet sand the truck ? IF all you're looking to do is clean it up and shine it up, wet sanding is way overkill.

I'm one of those that did. http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=22155&highlight=blackcat+reborn . It's not difficult, just very tedious and laborious. BUT BE WARNED, IT'S VERY EASY TO SCREW IT UP IF YOU'RE NOT CAREFUL !! AND INSIDIOUSLY EXPENSIVE TO FIX IF YOU DO SCREW UP.

speckdzl4shzl

"Gym Junkie"
Reaction score
DON'T DO IT.

toyota's egg shell of a clear coat doesn't do too well with too much wet sanding. found that out the hard way on my truck. when i bought it it had tiny rust spots all over it like the PO had it in a shop and some asshole threw sparks at the entire thing for fun. i got all them out and the paint is super smooth but it's hard to keep up with and one can easily go too far with wet sanding. if you don't wax regularly it will get chalky. luckily i wax like twice a month lol Tech Wax FTW

what exactly are you trying to get out?! Meguire's Ultimate Compound takes almost anything off paint.

102nd7

Reaction score
Wow black cat u did a good job. U don't think it was worth the effort

BlackCat

Reaction score
It was worth the effort. But I had some extenuating circumstances that made it necessary. Wet sanding is effective, BUT it is also a process that can be very destructive if done incorrectly.

It's also basically a process of last resort. If you don't need to do it, don't.

So, back to the question, why do you want to wet sand your truck ?

speckdzl4shzl

"Gym Junkie"
Reaction score
take blackcat's advice. the guy practically repainted his whole truck in is garage lol

So, back to the question, why do you want to wet sand your truck ?
this........

Last edited:

102nd7

Reaction score
I'm not really trying to get out anything. The trucks 6 years old and wanted to know if anybody has ran into problems thanks every1

BlackCat

Reaction score
If all you want to do is shine it up, I'd skip the wet sanding altogether. Start of with clay bar (if your paint has a "rough" feel to it, which, after six years, it probably will). Then, get a good buffer and some good polishing compound. Then finish it off with some good wax.

The thread link I posted earlier has some tips on that, too. There are also plenty of others on XRU that have had good luck with other products and tools as well.

speckdzl4shzl

"Gym Junkie"
Reaction score
I'm not really trying to get out anything. The trucks 6 years old and wanted to know if anybody has ran into problems thanks every1

just get a good polish then wax. like i said i used Meguiar's Ultimate Compund. it takes off any old oxidation and swirled marks. then follow up with a good wax job. Tech Wax is awesome because you can apply it to the whole truck, walk away or an hour and then come back and just wipe it off then buff it to a shine.

Workman3886

Reaction score
I bought my truck used, and whoever it was before hand scraped the bottom front lips on both sides REALLY bad, I know the only true fix is probably to completely replace and repaint, I just don't have the moneys for that right now :frown:

Top Bottom