Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

What to do with Exhaust?

rebXehle420

Reaction score
Im kind of a newb to exhaust, im having trouble what to start with... Should i put a catback on or just put in a new muffler? Which catback/muffler set up would be best for a NA engine? What exactly does changing the y-pipe and headers do? Would i need to get a y pipe and new headers if im changing my muffler to make it right? Let me know

hrspwr236

Reaction score
Weld in muffler is cheapest alternative, either this or a Catback will not yield big power gains but more for sound especially if staying N/A. This is usually user preference for sound. Y pipe and long tube headers bring the best power numbers. URD offers all the options available for both and is great way to shop!

FireB

Reaction score
Weld in muffler is cheapest alternative, either this or a Catback will not yield big power gains but more for sound especially if staying N/A. This is usually user preference for sound. Y pipe and long tube headers bring the best power numbers. URD offers all the options available for both and is great way to shop!

+1

I would personally go with the Header first!
If you can get the long tube, get the long tube.
If you are scared about emissions and what not, you probably have to go with the shorties.
The long tube will sound like you put a new muffler on as well.
Sound and Power combination is what you get from the Long Tube Headers.

Gators Taco

<a . href="http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/sho
Reaction score
Good free flow exhaust ( JBA or Magnaflow), get the long tube ( DTLT or URD)and relocate the O2s, cold air intake next.

SgtBadA

Reaction score
Get the new URD spec U headers. I little expensive but from everyone that has them loves them. But i would start with some headers.

pledcan

Reaction score
I'm also in the same boat. Thinking about buying headers vs. y-pipe...I was wondering...

How do the o2 sensors work?

So with headers... the front o2 sensors are removed, and a simulator takes their place?

The simulator's job is what? Simply to tell the computer that there are cats present? Or do they monitor jetting, etc. as well?

I want more power and sound, but not too much sound ( to wake the baby! ) Both too loud?

Y-pipe would be so easy, but headers are the way to go I hear?

sixstringdave

Reaction score
The Sim just makes it so your computer doesnt throw a code at the dashboard, pretty much.

Headers and a Y-pipe really woke my truck up, big time. I also have the 3 inch exhaust and that helps a bit. I run a Magnaflo muffler and also an 18 inch glass pack to act as a resonator to keep the sound and the RASP down. I get compliments that it sounds mean but clean all the time :top:

My truck isnt very loud or annoying unless im at Full Tilt Boogie. If ya know what i mean?

But yea, get the headers first, cause that will actually make a difference, performance wise. A muffler will just change the sound with very minimal gains that you wont even notice.

hrspwr236

Reaction score
I'm also in the same boat. Thinking about buying headers vs. y-pipe...I was wondering...

How do the o2 sensors work?

So with headers... the front o2 sensors are removed, and a simulator takes their place?

The simulator's job is what? Simply to tell the computer that there are cats present? Or do they monitor jetting, etc. as well?

I want more power and sound, but not too much sound ( to wake the baby! ) Both too loud?

Y-pipe would be so easy, but headers are the way to go I hear?

If you don't want it loud, keep the headers and y pipe stock and throw a straight thru muffler. Or you may be able to get a we with headers but leave muffler and y pipe stock. The less restrictions in the exhaust the louder it will be. I am running a muffler delete and a y pipe and it is ridiculously loud and looking into getting a catback.

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
If you're doing exhaust, don't forget intake as well.
You should upgrade your "inhale" as well as "exhale."

lamia2super

Reaction score
how about doing a dual side exit like the 2008 concept xrunner the sema tacoma ? has anyone done that ?

drdoom

Reaction score
I weld in a magnaflow. Sounds great. Not too loud It's just right for me. But the intake definitely made it sound better. And the butt dyno says it gained some hp. Haha:top:

Large

Reaction score
Check YouTube vids to see which one that sounds best, or look up how much N/A power they give.

SgtBadA

Reaction score
I don't think anyone has tried it and I would be kindof worried to do it since the piping would have to cross over the frame somewhere. I would be worried about crushing it

zombietaco22

Reaction score
I wanted to stay N/A. For my setup, I went with the DTLT headers, DT pipe bomb y-pipe, then into a 2.5 aFe mach force xp catback. Installed a vibrant resonator to take out the rasp & I'm liking my setup!

Top Bottom