Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Apple = Ripoff

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Let me start by saying, this is not a Mac's suck thread. I actually like Mac's... but read:

So I was thinking about getting a Mac Mini to do get my feet wet in application development (since I have a solid background in code and design). I went to Apple's site and saw the new Mac Mini for $699 - not bad, I could probably stomach that. But it only comes with 2GB of RAM - not cool, I want as much RAM as it can hold. You computer buffs know that you can NEVER have too much RAM.

So I click on configure and change it from 2GB of RAM to 8GB of RAM --- but it INCREASES THE PRICE $500!!! Shit, nearly the price of the entire damn computer to begin with.

Let's review...

I can get 2 x 4GB sticks of 1066MHz DDR3 (which btw is the SLOWEST DDR3 RAM - booooo Apple) at NewEgg for $209 ($104.50 each).

I could also add a 24" Mac Display (which are very nice displays) for $900! Why would I do that when I could get a more than sufficient Samsung 27" for less than half the price?

So, why in the hell does Apple mark up the RAM 100%+? Guys, I want to like Apple computers... I do really like the interface and aesthetic design of the hardware, but damn --- I just CANNOT justify paying the prices.

Also brilliant of Apple to only release their SDK for Mac's. I mean, I get it. You want to make an app and maybe make some money, you gotta buy our computers to do it.

Gadget

Reaction score
Yep, I am in the same boat right now.

Want to do some development, but have to get the Apple computers to do it on. Cha-Ching....

So, you are going to buy it, right??

G

Super Werty

Reaction score
So dont buy the ram from them?

Mine came with 1 gig of ram and I wanted to upgrade to 4 gigs. It was $300 at every retail store and $40 shipped online. :laugh:

That doesnt make Apple stupid if they are trying to make profit. You may not like it, but if you are a smart consumer you can find ways around the steep mark ups.

Dont tell me Mircosoft has never charged an arm and a leg for something of little value. Im sure every tech company has done it

lucke

Reaction score
kinda sounds like the new iphone 4... make something that has an inherent design flaw (the outside antennae) and when people start complaining about dropped calls due to said flaw, they don't offer to fix it, or at least accommodate the user with a temp fix... no, they twist the knife a little more and tell the users (many blindly loyal to apple) to buy the bumpers that will fix this design flaw...

makes no sense, except that they're apple and they know that no matter what they do, the masses of people will still buy their sh*t... even if it's flawed...

Dont tell me Mircosoft has never charged an arm and a leg for something of little value. Im sure every tech company has done it
actually, since M$ doesn't sell hardware, they haven't had to worry about this... unless you're trying to turn this into a apple vs M$ arguement.

off-road taco06

Reaction score
LOL i never liked apple due to their prices. Their laptops are ridiculousness if you want a decent one.
You can pretty much buy an alien-ware gaming / very high performance laptop for almost the same damn price as one of there mid lever laptops. Its seriously a joke.

Sorry, Klint just said this is not an apple bashing thread, but that's just from my experiences lol.

kinda sounds like the new iphone 4... make something that has an inherent design flaw (the outside antennae) and when people start complaining about dropped calls due to said flaw, they don't offer to fix it, or at least accommodate the user with a temp fix... no, they twist the knife a little more and tell the users (many blindly loyal to apple) to buy the bumpers that will fix this design flaw...

makes no sense, except that they're apple and they know that no matter what they do, the masses of people will still buy their sh*t... even if it's flawed...

actually, since M$ doesn't sell hardware, they haven't had to worry about this... unless you're trying to turn this into a apple vs M$ arguement.

Couldn't of said it better myself.^^^^

Last edited:

5000XD

Reaction score
Crazy! F Apple, I'm telling you! They got me buying that ipod itouch thing 2 years ago, never again am I buying a thing from Apple.

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
And your link ^^ goes to DDR2 memory, not DDR3.

Fixed link. Price was basically the same ($11 more).

This thread has nothing to do with Microsoft. I didn't toot their horn, did I? I have my own beefs with Microsoft and by NO MEANS do I think they're a perfect company. Have you read any of my previous threads on how much I HATE their browsers and their refusal to force upgrades to newer browsers? Thereby making web developers like myself write code for 3 different browsers (from the same manufacturer).

Microsoft sucks too... just for different reasons. :biggrin:

fuseaku

Reaction score
Eh, not gonna get into it, but I have 2 iMacs (one of them is the old iMac G4), an iPhone 4 and I used to have an iPod before I got the iPhone. I've been using an Apple for 12 years now and think all the products I've bought from Apple have been worth every penny... but that's just my cents. Like Super Werty said, you can always buy what you need for cheaper somewhere else. The debate will go on forever... it's just not worth arguing about anymore. lol

motonxruchick184

Reaction score
But hey! The good news is, that all this sucking must mean everyones getting blown!!!:biggrin: WOOOT! Damn wait.. I wonder what's in it for the women... :hmmmm2:Lmao :laugh:

braves011

"Crouching Tiger"
Reaction score
I agree 100% Klint, about the only "i" anything product I would want or ever use is the iPod and they are $399 on Apple's site. your paying because all the ignorant people out there think its the hott shit and will buy it no matter what the price.

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
^ now you see, I do love my iPod. It does everything that I could ever want an MP3 player to do. I can check my email on it (usually while I brush my teeth in the morning so I don't have as many emails when I get to work), play games, check out Facebook, get the weather, listen to music and watch podcasts. It's awesome for what it is. And aside from some fluke where it randomly resets my date and time to December 31, 1999 - it works great.

This isn't a I HATE APPLE PRODUCTS thread --- I just don't understand their pricing structure at all.

motonxruchick184

Reaction score
This isn't a I HATE APPLE PRODUCTS thread --- I just don't understand their pricing structure at all.

Maybe they don't have software that computes to USD... LOL :laugh: No clue though...:dontknow:

GrundleBear

Reaction score
Let me start by saying, this is not a Mac's suck thread. I actually like Mac's... but read:

So I was thinking about getting a Mac Mini to do get my feet wet in application development (since I have a solid background in code and design). I went to Apple's site and saw the new Mac Mini for $699 - not bad, I could probably stomach that. But it only comes with 2GB of RAM - not cool, I want as much RAM as it can hold. You computer buffs know that you can NEVER have too much RAM.

So I click on configure and change it from 2GB of RAM to 8GB of RAM --- but it INCREASES THE PRICE $500!!! Shit, nearly the price of the entire damn computer to begin with.

Let's review...

I can get 2 x 4GB sticks of 1066MHz DDR3 (which btw is the SLOWEST DDR3 RAM - booooo Apple) at NewEgg for $209 ($104.50 each).

I could also add a 24" Mac Display (which are very nice displays) for $900! Why would I do that when I could get a more than sufficient Samsung 27" for less than half the price?

So, why in the hell does Apple mark up the RAM 100%+? Guys, I want to like Apple computers... I do really like the interface and aesthetic design of the hardware, but damn --- I just CANNOT justify paying the prices.

Also brilliant of Apple to only release their SDK for Mac's. I mean, I get it. You want to make an app and maybe make some money, you gotta buy our computers to do it.

My guess is Mac seems to think they can capitalize on their whole "Windows has always been awful, therefore people will start buying Macs" campaign. While i agree with you i dont hate Mac, what you get and what you pay for one is just straight up robbery.

Essentially they seem to think people will blindly pay outrageous amounts of money to buy a Mac just to have a Mac and not a computer run on Windows. Pretty silly.

rich017

Reaction score
Kinda like getting the nav upgrade for a new car from the dealer. It's like $3K.

Just get aftermarket. That's the way I look at it.

butters607

Reaction score

Let's review...

yea just buy them and install them yourself you can find the sticks online for a decent price probablly shop around!

MORT-RUNNER

Reaction score
I agree, Mac's are pricey. And yes, I do feel it's a rip off. This is coming from a loyal Mac user too. But as people have stated before, there are places who sell them cheaper. Also you can install it yourself if you wish.

I really want a Mac Mini so I can have it connected to my television. That way I don't need to go back and forth between room and living room. I'm that lazy...haha!

Top Bottom