Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

which head unit?

rich017

Reaction score
Gonna get a new head unit pretty soon. Been looking at these 2.
http://audiosavings.com/product_details.aspx?item_guid=8550ec32-674f-4e08-8dc4-5dff785796ad

http://audiosavings.com/product_details.aspx?item_guid=60ae31c5-25e1-4655-ad4e-b43800d47ee7

I have no clue about audio stuff. Just wondering which one is better as far as ipod controlling, steering wheel compatibility, and im also going to be doing 2 10" subs in the future.

Also was wondering what I need to get as far as wiring harnesses and fit kits so I can mount it in my dash. Thanks

Last edited:

RJDoute

"My Salami Nipples Ooze Milk"
Reaction score
Are you dead set on either of those two? A double din touch-screen is probably the best way to go for what you're looking for, plus they look way cooler. :top:

The Scosche deck kit works great for a few of them, and they're only a couple hundred bucks more. If it's in your budget, I'd suggest something different like the D3. Just my two cents. :biggrin:

rich017

Reaction score
I like the D3 but dont want to spend $700 on a headunit. I wont even use the navigation. But how will this alpine head unit be as far as compatibility when I add 2 10's, an amp, and new speakers?

RJDoute

Reaction score
From the specs it looks like it should handle it just fine. As long as you don't mind the no CD Player (everyone uses mp3s anyway now a days) it's a good purchase. I'll do some looking to see if I can find you a cheaper price on it. :top:

RJDoute

Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't skimp on the harness. You can get some wiring kits from most decent car audio places for a little more coin, but I doubt you plan on taking this thing out so you might as well go for the good shtuff. :top:

As far as dash kits, here's one in silver and one in black. :top:

http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/443

http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/1393

You can probably find those way cheaper on Ebay, though. Good luck. :top:

xrunna07

Reaction score
from what i read i didnt see any talk about the eq on the jensen, i know u will have some type of eq, but it is prolly preset ones, i would go with the alpine on that note, it can let u customize it urself instead of presets. cant go wrong with an alpine, my friend has a jensen flip out and he wasnt real impressed plus i think the alpine would last longer. the jensen could always have that possibility of motorization problems, the alpine cant it aint motorized. thats another aspect

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
I personally hate double DINs for their audio tuning cruches. If you want a really good single DIN HU that you can tweak the hell out of look at the:

Pioneer DEH-9800BT, you can pick one up for around 350-400.00 bucks.

It's EQ options and filters are awesome, it has built in/integrated bluetooth wireless, you can upload custom wallpapers and animations, and it has great ipod connect ability.

The EQ options really allow you to bring your systems capabilities out and dial in things precisely.

Most of the 2,000$ + decks haven't accomplished this yet... Sad really. You spend all that money on a double DIN and get an LCD screen, nothing to much more, nothing less usually..

Last edited:

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Alpines are great units but are a bit pricey for what they offer.

I used to be die hard alpine but Pioneer now usually offers the same if not better for way less then their flagship decks.

The alpines are nice with their equalizers for each channel but thats getting a bit over zealous with it.

I can not justify an extra 200$ for a deck that pioneer makes with the same features and integrated blue tooth.

Yotaman

"Shortbus"
Reaction score
I like the D3 but dont want to spend $700 on a headunit. I wont even use the navigation. But how will this alpine head unit be as far as compatibility when I add 2 10's, an amp, and new speakers?

My Alpine HU ran my JL 10W3V2s just fine, along w/ the 2 sets of Alpine Components. I was running the subs w/ a Rockfor amp and am running the components w/ an Apline amp.

If you search ebay you can find good deals, just be careful who you buy from... :top:

Alpines are great units but are a bit pricey for what they offer.

I used to be die hard alpine but Pioneer now usually offers the same if not better for way less then their flagship decks.

The alpines are nice with their equalizers for each channel but thats getting a bit over zealous with it.

I can not justify an extra 200$ for a deck that pioneer makes with the same features and integrated blue tooth.

Its prolly been 4 years since I bought my current HU, things have prolly changed alot. Another thing I like about Alpine is its PnP w/ Sirius, thats the big selling point for me. Atleast Alpine was the only PnP for Sirius when I bought it.

When I get a new HU, I'll definetly have alot of Qs for you guys.

Last edited:

rich017

Reaction score
I have one now. I have had a Kenwood DNX5120 DD for about 2 months along with a 10" Diamond D6, Cadence amp, and Alpine type X components all the way around

XNU

Reaction score
Pioneer double din. you will love it.:rock:

KETCHUP

Reaction score
Dude, lots of good advice here.

All I can say is I have the Jensen 7" SD flip out. I bought the IPOD cord. My deck came with an Aux cord, but if you want to play videos off your IPOD, you have to have that IPOD cable. I think I saw that it was included. The only thing I wish I could figure out it how to use the sterring wheel controls on it. Don't know if its possible. But I love my HU.....

Stevenredx

Reaction score
he only thing I wish I could figure out it how to use the sterring wheel controls on it. Don't know if its possible. But I love my HU.....

You can make it work... heres the piece you need http://www.pac-audio.com/products/productsCatagory.asp?mmSearch=Steering Wheel Interface#SWI-PS

Here it is for sale on ebay, doesn't have Jenson listed but compare the model to the company's site i linked above :top: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PAC-...016QQitemZ260277599310QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

richie_rich

Reaction score
I'm impartial to Alpine as well. I've used them for years, and just a couple weeks ago decided to change out stereos in the X. I haven't touched a CD in years, so I decided to go with the Alpine iDA-X100 since it has full speed iPod capability (the full speed USB/iPod cable is included. I also got the PAC SWI-JACK so I could keep my audio controls on the steering wheel. I love this deck, looks good in my dash, can change the night lighting to red, displays the album cover that shows up in iTunes, and also like the fact that I can disconnect my iPod and throw in any USB drive or thumb drive and still use it. If I decide that I wanna use CD's, the plug for an Alpine CD changer is still there, and if I decide I wanna use my phone on it, I can also install the Alpine Bluetooth Kit. Tons of room to go further with the 3 preouts (front, rear, sub), and also the compatibility to the Alpine Audyssey and Imprint modules. The big screen is a huge plus for me as well.

Install from start to finish was just over 45 minutes.

694b19f5616e4db882b940826ea60c76

5dfb50b631054031861e46587687793e

Last edited:

Trevor_what

Reaction score
I have one now. I have had a Kenwood DNX5120 DD for about 2 months along with a 10" Diamond D6, Cadence amp, and Alpine type X components all the way around
Kenwood HUs are great, they have been around for a long time and have a great reputation so you made a good decision. But the Diamond sub and Cadence amp I'm not too sure about, don't think I have ever heard of them, but that's not to say they aren't good. What are the specs for the sub and the amp?

RedXr

Reaction score

So I am happy to say Richie Rich; you inspired me to purchase this single din. I purhased an outlet model of this at a wholesale price from crutchfield $220 shipped. I am stoked to get this.

KETCHUP

Reaction score
I had a HU simular to the first one. Its in my wifey's Tundra now. I will tell you, it doesn't compare to my Alpine DD, but I paid 1500 for it. It really depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. The Alpine would probably sound really good, but it comes with no screen. I liked the flip out one I had in the X, but like RJ said, DD is your best bet. You will def be happier with one. Just ask the rest of us DD owners!

oh, cool bro. That is really nice. I like the looks. How does it sound?
5dfb50b631054031861e46587687793e

Last edited:

RedXr

Reaction score
So I must have gotten the very last HU from crutchfield, it now shows discontinued and I already got an email saying the package has shipped! Cant wait! :rock:

Top Bottom