Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

2.85" Pulley Nightmare

grifter95

Reaction score
Well I began installing the 2.85" pulley I got from URD today at 3pm. Just got through at 6:30(well kinda). Getting the old pulley off was a breeze. Installing the new one was a nightmare. I torqued on it for hours. Took the pusher off 10 times to make sure it wasn't loosening and I wasn't going to far. Well I got it about 1/8" from flush and the tools small threaded insert broke in two. Took it apart and cleaned the threads and used the second insert that was sent. It also broke and messed up the from 1/4" or so of shaft threading. So I am kinda stuck. The pulley is on enough to line up with the other pulleys.... just not perfect. I will probably have to get another part for the puller and try to make it perfect soon. But on my test drive it doesn't seem to have upped the boost any. It was approximately 6psi before. Now it is maybe 6.5psi. Not exactly the 1.2-2psi I was looking for. Could the pulley being off an 1/8" from flush cause this? Or could it be something else? And yes I checked and I did install the new APR pulley not the original. Any suggestions?

ntinhri

Reaction score
The pulley not being pulled up has not effect on boost. Sounds like u didn't drop new pulley in boiling water long.enough. anyway I've seen and help installed plenty of.these pulleys and.really its user error. Get u a.new tool, bolt, or big hammer and finish the nub before u rip a.belt apart.

grifter95

Reaction score
I had the pulley in boiling water for twice as long as instructed. And then two bolts shear off. Maybe I'm that bad... or maybe I got a crappy set of bolts. Or maybe both. Also I got to inserts and no filler bolt for pulling. Guess I had a incorrectly picked bag o parts.
Is the 8x1.25x20mm gonna be available locally? Or is it some oddball size? Would just order another kit from URD... but I have never had an order ship out within days. Usually takes a week. I can't afford to leave truck parked that long.

Last edited:

ntinhri

Reaction score
Call gadget he will get on it!, but yes you can find that bolt locally, nut and bolt shop for sure....

make darn sure you get grade 8 or better!!!

grifter95

Reaction score
Glad I can get it locally. Will probably get the tap to to clean up the internal threads on both. Should I just continue pressing it on? Or heat it some them press? Or pull off and start from scratch... God I hope not the last one!!!

Any thoughts on why I am not getting additional boost than maybe .5psi?

Last edited:

Murderface

Reaction score
Have u measured the 2 pulleys? Maybe the one that got sent to u was a normal 3.0" pulley? I installed the URD 2.825" pulley with no I'll effects and it def upped the boost 1.5-2 psi and felt a nice gain in power.

grifter95

Reaction score
Didn't measure... after 3 hrs 100 degree weather... I probably couldn't of operated my calibers correctly... will measure tomorrow... should the 2.85 be the outermost edges of pulley or part the belt rides on?
If I got sent a 3.00" pulley I am gonna have a heart attack... all that labor for nothing will SUCK!

Murderface

Reaction score
Well doesn't matter where u measure the 2 pulleys as long as u measure from the same spot there should be a .15" difference between them. If they're the same then.....

STONER-X

Reaction score
is it the pink pulley??? i didn't have a strap wrench to hold the new pulley.. so i used a leather shammy had to have a buddy put some "ass" on the shammy to keep the pulley from spinning.. just try to get that new tool screwed all the way in the shaft, but don't tighten it bolt in there... just make sure you have a good amount of threads... if i remember when i did mine i screwed a screw all the way till it bottomed out for reference.. then i took the tool and screwed it a few threads back... if there is not enough threads in there then you run the risk ripping threads...

hope you get everything on there..

if you are in 100 deg weather than you will probably only see 1 psi... hot weather doesn't boost well.. i think i am only seeing it in the 6-7psi.. then in the winter is when i see it in the 7-8 range...

grifter95

Reaction score
Got the strongest 8x1.25x20mm hex heads I could find. Screwed it in the S/C shaft with a little medium locktite on the threads and torqued it down. Then cut off the over-sized allen head and cut a slot in the front for a flat head screwdriver to fit. Gonna let it sit most of the day to let the locktite bond and the engine cool down. Then I will try the S/C pulley pusher again. Hopefully it will push the pulley on the extra I need and I will never touch it again. If not.... we won't even think about that.

ntinhri

Reaction score
good luck.......... if you have a way to heat up the pulley it might make it easier..

grifter95

Reaction score
How hot are we talking? Small canned torch? Blow dryer? Should I squirt the shaft with some (upside down) compressed air to cool it? Or just stick with the heat? I want this thing done so I can move on and never touch the pulley again... hopefully:wink:

sohc4now

Reaction score
I would say torch if it were bare metal, but since it isn't, I'd recommend using a hot plate. I have to do this very frequently to heat up pistons so the wrist pin will go in nice and easy

grifter95

Reaction score
Well the pulley is 90% installed.... so should I remove it and start over? Or leave it on and just try to finish it?

STONER-X

Reaction score
Well the pulley is 90% installed.... so should I remove it and start over? Or leave it on and just try to finish it?

i would not remove the pulley unless you know it wont bend and also the inside could have expanded and when you go to reinstall it may not seat on correctly..

remove the belt.. get a hair drier or heat gun (becareful with heat gun)... do not use a torch... there are seals on the S/C shaft that could be damaged and there is a lot of plastic and rubber under the hood...

i would recomend a hair drier... allow it to heat the pulley.. slow and steady gets the job done (unless in bed.. lol)

just take your time... are you using any air tools to tighten the pusher??? dont.... i would say turn 1/4 turn wait a few seconds and repeat.. this way it can let the pulley expand since this is a second attempt...

try to get a little lube on the shaft....

Murderface

Reaction score
The only pulley u don't want to remove to try and reinstall it is the URD 2.825" pulley. Because it's aluminum it will get all kinds of fvcked up from the pulley puller putting pressure on 3 different areas. U would think the APR pulley would be a little bit harder to get on since it's made of steel and won't expand as much as aluminum.

So did u lube up ur shaft before attempting to install the pulley on it? If not then I'd imagine that's ur biggest issue right there(I'm gonna give u the benefit of a doubt that u did use some oil to lube the shaft). We all don't know u personally so we don't know if u have mechanical skills so don't take any questions or suggestions the wrong way. We are def trying to help u out the best we can.

grifter95

Reaction score
Yes I did coat the shaft with non synthetic motor oil as recommended. After several more hours it still will not go on. I got the calibers out and compared its inside diameter to bother the URD red pulley I have and the factory TRD pulley. It is several thousands smaller than either. I seems to be bound up good. So I decided to remove it and install the red URD pulley. Placed puller on it and began cranking. Nothing, nothing, then one of the legs on the puller sheared off. And the pulley still didn't budge. So I generously sprayed penetrating oil in between the inside of pulley and the pulley shaft. Will let it sit til morning with Advance opens up and I get my replacement pulley puller. Then hopefully it will pull off. If not I am gonna give the pulley some relief slots and try to take some of the tension off. But hopefully it won't come to that!

Gadget

Reaction score
You could always contact URD Tech Support for assistance.

877-8URDUSA x3

G

Top Bottom