Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Are some modifications overrated?

Jap

Reaction score
lol @ 'aerodynamic qualities'

Pretty sure Werty has a 4x4 Tacoma, man, not an X

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
lol @ 'aerodynamic qualities'

Pretty sure Werty has a 4x4 Tacoma, man, not an X

4x4 double cab even. Not really anything aerodynamic about that beast LOL. Maybe he needs some custom skirting and wings to hit 12's :crinklehair:

1GRracer

"Pete"
Reaction score
What about a bed cover? or at least have the tailgate down. lol.

Jap

Reaction score
Don't you watch mythbusters?

I think they proved the tailgate down myth to be exactly that.
From memory, they achieved best results with the hard tailgate unbolted and one of those cargo net, load limiter thingies in place.
I've thought of taking my tailgate off, but i'm scared traction will be harder to come by.
Definitely going to try removing the spare next time though.
I reckon Wertys Tacoma and my Hilux would be extremely similar in dimension and mass.

1GRracer

"Pete"
Reaction score
Yeah I know just messing around. The extent of the aerodynamics at least in my truck are to have the windows up and the AC off. in fact if I remember right the mythbusters did that too.

Jap

Reaction score
Can only run your A/C at the strip as long as it's not dripping water anyway.
Mine is as aerodynamic as a 300 litre fridge flying backwards

Coupe

Reaction score
The last time I saw Will run at the track, he removed the tailgate, rear bumper, seats.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't you watch mythbusters?

I think they proved the tailgate down myth to be exactly that.
From memory, they achieved best results with the hard tailgate unbolted and one of those cargo net, load limiter thingies in place.
I've thought of taking my tailgate off, but i'm scared traction will be harder to come by.
Definitely going to try removing the spare next time though.
I reckon Wertys Tacoma and my Hilux would be extremely similar in dimension and mass.
There is one slight flaw to what their results showed. However accurate their results were, and it was a very thorough experiment, they left out one key component. Power to weight ratio.

They didn't have an accurate control because they changed the weight of the truck three times. Stock, Airgate, and Stock with bed cover. Those make a difference. Stock with bedcover being the heaviest.

So for best areodynamics, wouldn't a carbon fiber tailgate with honey comb framework, and a carbon fiber bed cover be the best option? Not really, because it is still heavier than just removing the tailgate. Plus, what kind of expenses would you incure to have those made?

Super Werty

Reaction score
I get told the mythbusters story every single time I go to the track. Some old guy keeps telling me the same thing:laugh:

But there is a huge flaw. When they did this so called test, they were looking only at fuel economy at very low speeds. I believe it was 55 mph max

That is completely different than WOT acceleration run at the track going up to 100+ mph.

Unless a REAL team on scientists can prove that the tailgate isnt creating drag, I will continue to remove it. Not to mention the fact that the 1/4 is all about the launch. Removing as much weight as possible improves my 60 ft time. Aerodynamics do not come into affect in my 60ft. So weight removal is ultimately much more important for my truck, as the launch is everything for me.

Jap

Reaction score
Thats an interesting point, as you launch in 4WD? I have only ever launched in 2WD (on bitumen anyway) for fear of destroying the transfer case.
This is where my model separates from the upper class, as they have an electronic controlled centre differential and I do not, making a 'Launch in 4WD, switch to 2WD after 100 feet' a little bit harder.
How is yours set up, Super Werty?

TLR

Reaction score
Why not try removing weight? suspension and tires? aerodynamics? you have the power without question but what else have you done to improve the launch and how the tires hook up?

this is what I was told when I complained to my motorcycle mechanic, keep taking back my bike saying that its slowing down, keeped upgrading and still didn't gain but .10 at the track. then he told me, the bike has gotten faster but you have gotten bigger. so he told me to go on a diet. may be its time for your truck to loose some weight. as for the cost i'm right there with you.

tires are fine, I am hooking up off the line like crazy, not even a chirp out of the tires

problem is trying to find a set of 4.10 gears for the front and rear.

check this out, my next upgrade....

Nitro Gear & Axle now offers 4.56 Thick & 4.88 ratio Ring & Pinions to suit the new 8" clamshell IFS diff found in late model Toyota 4WD vehicles. It is now possible to re-gear these vehicles:

-03+ Toyota 4runner & Landcruiser Prado 120

-05+ Toyota Tacoma & Hilux

Last edited:

Ray08BSPx

Reaction score
Throw some slicks on the back so you can launch in 2 wheel drive. Get some manual locking hubs in the front so you're not losing power turning the front axles and diff. That should get you down the quarter a little bit quicker. Then maybe do the ring and pinion gears. I know when i did the manual locking hubs on my 4runner it freed up a lot of power and improved gas mileage. The only downside was having to get out and lock the hubs in when you want to use your 4 wheel drive, but it was worth it.

808XR10

Reaction score
damn...this story sorta made me change my mind on further modifying my X. if damn toyota charges me 7gs for the trd blower installed and gain only .2s on the 1/4 mile, i might as well just stick to N/A....thats boosted tundra even runs 11s and ive never seen a X do that. wuts up with thats?

ntinhri

Reaction score
damn...this story sorta made me change my mind on further modifying my X. if damn toyota charges me 7gs for the trd blower installed and gain only .2s on the 1/4 mile, i might as well just stick to N/A....thats boosted tundra even runs 11s and ive never seen a X do that. wuts up with thats?

doubt you ever see a semi boosted/stock x run 11's. I think to get to 11's in a x you need nos, boost, built motor, and slicks..... Basically heavly modded!

Super Werty

Reaction score

what? no

the TRD blower took like 2 seconds off the time. We're talking about other bolt ons

808XR10

Reaction score
doubt you ever see a semi boosted/stock x run 11's. I think to get to 11's in a x you need nos, boost, built motor, and slicks..... Basically heavly modded!
i think i might want to exclude you cuz 12s is damn fast.....i dont think that tundra was shooting nos though but im pretty sure hes packed with mods...

what? no

the TRD blower took like 2 seconds off the time. We're talking about other bolt ons
i see...your truck is fast too though, d-cab monstah. i see what you mean though bro. the other mods you spent big moolahs for.

Top Bottom