Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Help with Crank Pulley!!!

AlexForbesR6

Reaction score
So i had the NST crank pulley put on at the meet a couple months ago and a couple of days ago i found large oil spots all over my driveway right under where the front of myu tyruck is so i took it to the stealership (i have an extended warranty) and they called me and told my my crankcase seal was leaking and told me the warranty wouldnt cover it if they tried to cause of the pulley because if they said no or yes to whether mods had been performed an adjuster would come out anyways and see the pulley and say no(apparently it is an aftermarket warranty)...What do you guys think i should do...i am going to go up there now and talk to them (its at Star Toyota of Clear Lake) and see if they will put on my stock pulley, give me the nst one and then call the warranty company. If that doesnt work i guess ill get it home (which might be hard since i have no oil in it...think ill have to use my AAA) and put the stock pulley back on myself and then get it towed to a different dealership...question is i guess which dealership in the houston area (as close to kemah/league city as possible) has the best service and mechanincs and will they know i changed the pulley and then put the stock one back on?

Thanks for your help!!!

trd_sport

Reaction score
If you want it replaced under warranty your best bet is to put the stock one back on.

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Putting the stock pulley back on won't fix the problem. You have to replace the seal. This leaking issue with the crank pulley has been around for a while and I'm pretty confident that newer installations of the crank pulley have resolved the issue by replacing the crank seal during the installation.

Murderface

Reaction score
Is the NST pulley off the truck? Does it look ok?

Good luck bro, it's cheaper and easier I u just do it urself. Seal is $13 at NAPA and only takes 20-30 min to do complete

rich017

Reaction score
These things need to start coming with a seal for a little extra $.

It's going to leak after you start putting stress on the crank and pulley. That's just how it is.

PiNkY

Reaction score
I did my pulley the same day you did yours. Mine started leaking about 3 to 4 weeks ago. I didn't change it out myself ( cuz I was to weak to break the freakin bolt loose ) <--- sad i know. The stealership charged me like $150 to change it out. It's just the seal as everone stated. When you take off the pulley you will notice a small grove in it, which is normal - pretty much all of them get this as I learned from Micpun and a few other members.

This isn't a NST pulley issue - so there's no reason for NST to start including the seal. Even the stock seal goes out after usual wear and tear. The only thing is when you put on the new pulley it slightly tweaks the seal and it leaks.

NST - great product

AlexForbesR6

Reaction score
so this seal is located right behind the pulley? does it just look like a circle that i put in between the pulley and crank? That doesnt sound to bad....so if i jsut go buy the seal all i have to do is pull the pulley, pull off the old seal, put on the new one and im good to go? has anyone here done this before that could either give me a hand ( i would provide beer and food) or a least give me some instructions/tips on how to do it?

oh yeah and they want to charge me like 400 bucks to do it..

Last edited:

Raiden06BSP

Reaction score
I had the same problem a while back. Put the stock pulley back on the truck and got the seal replaced under warranty. I still haven't put it back on yet. It actually wore a groove all the way around my pulley so I don't know if I should put it back on or not. I need to call NST and get some advice from them.

AlexForbesR6

Reaction score
Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Reaction score
I had a bad crank seal too but it was repaired under warranty. This is making me question if I should add the NST crank pulley.

Tapp

Reaction score
gonna have to put the stock one back on for them to warranty anything...

- if you want to do it yourself, just put a breaker bar with the correct socket, and bump the motor to break it loose, replace seal, if the NST pulley is still good, then put it back on if you want... then do the reverse for bumpin the motor to tighten it!!!

30min job tops..

hope this helps

Murderface

Reaction score
I had the same problem a while back. Put the stock pulley back on the truck and got the seal replaced under warranty. I still haven't put it back on yet. It actually wore a groove all the way around my pulley so I don't know if I should put it back on or not. I need to call NST and get some advice from them.

It is not normal to have a groove wear into the NST crank pulley, I do t care what ki d of BS u try and give me. Why do u think it leaked? Could it be that huge gaping groove that's letting the oil leak out?

This is not normal, the seal goes bad because the small aluminum filings are wearing at it like sand paper.
5033ece4.jpg

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
Yeah I agree there. No way should a groove get worn into the pulley. If they claim its normal I claim BS.

Amarillo X

Reaction score
John and I have talked about this repeatedly...it's not a knock on NST, but the product fails.

Murderface

Reaction score
^^^^Exactly. If there's a pattern here with leaks and the pulley is worn like that, then NST needs to address it. It is NOT an installation issue whatsoever

Amarillo X

Reaction score
I see this all the time as a mechanic, and when I do I either A. Get a new part or B. Install a wear sleeve. The snout of a crank pulley needs to be smooth for the seal to do it's job.

Coupe

Reaction score
I would like to throw in my 2 cents.

On other cars, I have had, this same groove will pop up. This is on a steel pulley, but usually at about 80,000 miles or higher. I have seen it on Chevys, more than once.

However, usually not in a short mileage situation.

Aluminum is softer than steel, it is going to cut easier and faster. The anodizing helps harden the surface of aluminum, but it will still be softer than steel.

I have not researched this for the Tacoma, but for other vehicles (and rotating equipment) there is a device called a Speedi Sleeve. It's a thin collar that is pressed over this damaged area of the shaft (it covers the groove). This way you get a fresh steel suface that contacts the seal.

This is probably the mod required to get a long lived seal surface on an aluminum shaft.

SpaceMonkey

Reaction score
Coupe, I'm really hoping you can give me a hand to install mine. You sound like someone with plenty of experience. I don't want any issues with the seal leaking.

Amarillo X

Reaction score
I would like to throw in my 2 cents.

On other cars, I have had, this same groove will pop up. This is on a steel pulley, but usually at about 80,000 miles or higher. I have seen it on Chevys, more than once.

However, usually not in a short mileage situation.

Aluminum is softer than steel, it is going to cut easier and faster. The anodizing helps harden the surface of aluminum, but it will still be softer than steel.

I have not researched this for the Tacoma, but for other vehicles (and rotating equipment) there is a device called a Speedi Sleeve. It's a thin collar that is pressed over this damaged area of the shaft (it covers the groove). This way you get a fresh steel suface that contacts the seal.

This is probably the mod required to get a long lived seal surface on an aluminum shaft.
Exactly Coupe...very common on Chevys, Fords fall off all together. You need something harder between the aluminum and the seal.:top:

Coupe

Reaction score
I am going to do some looking around to see if I can find one that will fit.

Top Bottom