Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Limits of TRD tune

spithead051

Reaction score
I'm looking to perform a few final upgrades on my 2009 OR that is TRD supercharged. I drive it daily and would like to have a little more power to keep my oversized tires moving.

I know that the TRD tune and the TRD fuel injectors have their limits and it is easy to exceed them and lean out the AFR. I was curious if running an aFe Stage 2 Si intake and a URD 2.85 pulley will push the engine and tune past their limits.

I've done some searching but couldn't seem to find a consistent answer to anyone with a similar setup. I appreciate all input!

triumphx

Reaction score
You should be fine as the trd tune is quite rich, you need to get a wideband to make sure though

spithead051

Reaction score
I have an AEM wideband installed right after the first cat. When I floor it, it generally gets rich enough that the gauge pegs (it goes to 10)

Gadget

Reaction score
That is not an easy question to answer.

The reason for that is the inconsistancy of the TRD tune.

I have tested a lot of different trucks with the reflash and they are all over the place. Some are just right, some are super overly rich, and some are very scary lean. You just have no idea where yours is without installing a wideband display unit and see what YOUR truck is doing.

Other issues I have seen is that in some cases past a certain load point the ECU stops looking at the MAF sensor signal. How the ECU knows how to fuel the engine is a real mystery.

I have seen another truck with both front O2 sensors failed not giving a signal and the ECU was always in open loop with poor MPG, yet no check engine light.

So, no way to tell, unless you test YOUR truck and see.

Our standard recommendation is to test the AFR before and after you do the pulley and install the URD Pump/Filter upgrade at the same time.

G

autobodyX

Reaction score
No problems with mine and I have the pulley, intake and full exhaust upgrade.

spithead051

Reaction score
That is not an easy question to answer.

The reason for that is the inconsistancy of the TRD tune.

I have tested a lot of different trucks with the reflash and they are all over the place. Some are just right, some are super overly rich, and some are very scary lean. You just have no idea where yours is without installing a wideband display unit and see what YOUR truck is doing.

Other issues I have seen is that in some cases past a certain load point the ECU stops looking at the MAF sensor signal. How the ECU knows how to fuel the engine is a real mystery.

I have seen another truck with both front O2 sensors failed not giving a signal and the ECU was always in open loop with poor MPG, yet no check engine light.

So, no way to tell, unless you test YOUR truck and see.

Our standard recommendation is to test the AFR before and after you do the pulley and install the URD Pump/Filter upgrade at the same time.

G

I did forget to mention that I have the URD fuel pump already. I guess I'll start with the intake and go from there, I noticed that URD has it on sale right now.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Last edited:

darthyota

Reaction score
No problems with mine and I have the 1st gen trd intake (same as your looking at) with a custom exhaust that is way more free flowing then I think anything else out there and the 2.7" pulley and im still on the trd tune

cjist1

Reaction score
Which AFR monitoring system is a good choice?

darthyota

Reaction score
any of the options that innovative motorsports has are a great choice

Gadget

Reaction score
Which AFR monitoring system is a good choice?

URD stocks many different wideband options.

The right one can be hard to pick out.

If you want you can give me a call and I will help you pick out the one that is best for you and your truck.

G

Top Bottom