Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Removing Rear Bump Stop Brackets

RedX

Reaction score
I took out the rear barckets today and boy what a task. :argh: It was a pain. Had to grined down the rivits and then use a air chesil. Ripped those things right out. It took about 2 hrs total. I had bought 2in. stops and decided not to put them in. Running no bracket and no bump stops in the rear and it rides like a DREAM:rockon:Me and my buddy stood on the back and jumped up and down, didnt hit at all. About 420lbs. Not bad. I recommend this mod ASAP. Especially if you are running 2inch blocks. I lasted 5 yrs with half inch clearence and my body paid the price. Should have done this yrs ago.

Attachments

• 000.jpg
    000.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 307
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 295
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 311

deanbhula1

Reaction score
how much clearance is there when u put ot on the tires and not on the jack?

CBRBob

Reaction score
Put a 3/8 in tall 'button' style bumpstop back there. You really don't want your frame meeting your axle tube.

Murderface

Reaction score
Put a 3/8 in tall 'button' style bumpstop back there. You really don't want your frame meeting your axle tube.

Good idea, I know I did this to my truck and put the low pro bumpstops on the frame in case it does bottom out. So far I've yet to bottom out even with 4 passengers in the truck and QA1's set on 4.

bombs

"Affliction Guy"
Reaction score
Looks good! Saving this thread for a future use! lol
I imagine that if I wanted to put bump stops in, that I would have to drill new holes into the frame for them?

Slay0r

Reaction score
hmmm not a bad idea. I may have to do this when i go for my 2.5" blocks :top:

RedX

Reaction score
Looks good! Saving this thread for a future use! lol
I imagine that if I wanted to put bump stops in, that I would have to drill new holes into the frame for them?

Yes. But what sucks is the bracket is designed so the bump stop sits out half inch outside the frame. It makes it so it lines up perfect to the axle. So if you are running any u-blots with blocks, the bump stop will hit the u-bolts not the axle. If that makes sence.

Murderface

Reaction score
hmmm not a bad idea. I may have to do this when i go for my 2.5" blocks :top:

I tried this already and didn't like the outcome. It's the whole reason I took the brackets off because I had 2 1/2" blocks and couldn't stand bottoming out on everything and also couldn't ride with the shocks set on the max setting any longer. It didn't help much even with the shocks set at 8 which is still too stiff for everyday driving. I eventually went back to 2" blocks and haven't looked back since, the ride is so much better now with the shocks on 4 and no bottoming out ever!

RedX

Reaction score
You can see in this pic the bump stop hits perfect inbetween the ubolts. In my case it hit so many times it polished the axle... oops

Attachments

• 01-1.jpg
    01-1.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 462

CBRBob

Reaction score
Yep, If you measure well, you can offset the hole so it will miss the u-bolts.

bombs

"Affliction Guy"
Reaction score
Good to know, I'll be sure and check my measurements if I try it.

06alaswb

Reaction score
so can you run 3in blocks with the stock shocks? i have 2in blocks right now but i have some 3in i would like to use if i can, what do you guys suggest? i need some xr professionals.. lol

Murderface

Reaction score
so can you run 3in blocks with the stock shocks? i have 2in blocks right now but i have some 3in i would like to use if i can, what do you guys suggest? i need some xr professionals.. lol

If u run 3" blocks ur gonna have to notch the frame or else bottom out when u hit a pebble on the road. And yes u can use 3" blocks with stock shocks as the axle moves up and the shock plate the bottom the shock bolts to stays in the same location.

Gators Taco

<a . href="http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/sho
Reaction score
My old Mazda truck (86) had a plate mounted under the U bolts with the bump stop on it.

wisenthefools

"Ricky Bobby"
Reaction score
I dunno man...doesnt seem like the minimal clearance gained from this is worth the risk. I ran bumpless with 2" blocks for a coupe days and even when being careful I managed to bottom out so hard my gas door popped open...multiple times. If it bottoms out that hard it's hard to believe takin out that thin lil piece of steel will remedy the problem. I'm runnin the energy suspension low pro bump stops and will upgrade to QA1's instead.

Murderface

Reaction score
I'm running with no brackets and the lo pro bumpstops right on the frame and the extra clearance makes a world of a difference believe me. I never bottom out now!

Now the OP needs to install bumpstops no doubt, running without them is stupid

babyboi2284

BaggedXR2284
Reaction score
I just recently installed my drop and with the roads in Louisiana I bottom out ALOT...in front and the rear. I have my qa1s set on 6 and I don't wanna go any higher cuz it's stiff enough already. I have the low pro bump stops from streetacos and they help take a little of the shock out of it but damn the ride sucks big balls. And I am constantly getting out at lights or stop signs to close my fuel door. I love the way it makes my truck look but unfortunately in the near future I may be taking my drop off and going back to stock.

Top Bottom