URD stage 3 clutch disc

Discussion in 'F/I Mods & Tuning' started by Ziggy297, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Ziggy297

Ziggy297 Member

im in the middle of a T56 conversion and am installing a URD stage 3 clutch. On the splined clutch disc center one side is pretty flush with the disc, the other side the splined section extends out by maybe 1.5". Does the extended section face the transmission or does it even matter? Probably a newb question but I want to make sure I get this right the first time.

Attached Files:

2. Gadget

Gadget Well-Known Member

The raised part of the hub faces the transmission just like the stock clutch did.

3. Ziggy297

Ziggy297 Member

Thanks Gadget, just wanted to be 100% sure I had it right.

4. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

@Ziggy297 , did you get it all back together? Have you gone for a test drive yet?

5. Ziggy297

Ziggy297 Member

Not yet, I kept getting called into work. I should have the next 2 days off (Sat and Sunday) so it will be close. I'm really going to take my time and make sure everything is perfect (I'm dying to drive it though). After everything is installed I'm machining the gearshift lever out of 304 stainless so if there are any hiccups it will be on the road next weekend. I have the clutch and bellhousing installed and torqued, driveline shortened and all of the wiring ready to tie in. It's been a fun project so far, with Thanksgiving I've only had a day and a half to work on pulling the old one out and start installing the T-56. After the girlfriend peeled my face off for working on it on Thanksgiving I had to hang it up lol!

#5 Ziggy297, Dec 2, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    Torspd likes this.
  6. Ziggy297

Ziggy297 Member

Went to install and the trans was falling short to mating with the Bellhousing by .5 of an inch. Dammit! Pulled the Bellhousing and loosened up the pressure plate and re aligned the clutch with the pilot bearing using a steel alignment tool. Going back together now.

Attached Files:

7. Nashman

Nashman Member

oh dear god that sucker is a solid hubbed clutch disc lets hope that waffer spring takes up some of the shock

8. Ziggy297

Ziggy297 Member

We'll see, if it's too harsh I can swap it out. I just don't want the center to come apart like the stock one did.

9. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

It will take some getting used to for sure. It is do-able though. The sprung hub from URD is stout though.

Cheers to dropping a trans on Thanksgiving. Lol

10. Ziggy297

Ziggy297 Member

Transmission went in super smooth! It is all torqued up and I am about to put in the cross member. I'll probably attach the drive line and work on the shifter during the week.

Attached Files:

11. Nashman

Nashman Member

That and they don't last long if dding. Things to look for on a disc is the spring pockets are formed and not present drilled then bent and half decent gauge metal as well

12. Ziggy297

Ziggy297 Member

All wiring complete and tested, reverse lockout works as it should. Will take it for a test drive tomorrow and set the speed on the Dakota signal converter. All in all it was 6 days of working on it for 6-8 hours a day with a few hiccups beyond anyone's control.

x-runner kid and Torspd like this.
  13. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

Take note. To adjust the Dakota Digital *Hold* the button, until you notice your speedo moving.

14. Ziggy297

Ziggy297 Member

Will do, thank you for the info!

15. Ziggy297

Ziggy297 Member

Maiden voyage complete! Holy shit that transmission is smooth!!!!! The solid hub clutch isn't that bad but it's still breaking in so I'm sure it will become more sensitive, if it stays the same it is just a bit more sensitive than the stock clutch. I still have some fab work to do for the shifter stick and trans tunnel but I changed ideas last second and ordered the parts this morning. Gadget, thank you very much bud! So far everything is working out perfectly!!!

Gadget likes this.
  16. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

That is really good to hear. Makes you wish that the OEM transmission was that nice and smooth, doesn't it?

17. Ziggy297

Ziggy297 Member

Yes! This upgrade was huge, I wanted to get on it a bit but had to hold back until it's broken in lol! I can honestly say it is like driving a different truck.

18. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

I just had to deal with the 500 mile break-in myself. After a month of pampering the slipping clutch. Man did it feel good to be able to get back on it.

19. x-runner kid

x-runner kid Active Member

This thread makes me want to do the t-56 swap. I hate the stock trans :(

nick_gz1 likes this.
  20. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

You'd fall in love with driving.

Ziggy297 likes this.