Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Used TRD S/C

waleed

Reaction score
Been a month since I have got a used TRD s/c with URD pulley, but I didn't install it till now. Before a week I have noticed that the injectors were missing, so I have ordered the URD injectors with few other parts that were missing. Anyway I am about to fit it soon enough, but I have got this feeling that supercharger isn't in a good shape! and unfortunately Toyota dealer here will cancel out my warranty if I install TRD supercharger. So I don't want to destroy my engine, since the S/C has the URD pulley. So is there a way to see if the s/c is in good shape? and will the engine be fine with URD pulley? I have heard the with higher boost I need to change pistons and connecting rods? what is the max PSI that I can go with stock engine? I have swb LC70 manual 5 speed

Thanks in advance!

Waleed

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
First things first make sure you got the right plugs...Secondly....if u dont know jack squat about it and or its not sounding right get it rebuilt..i know the feeling i bought my kit used and ended up replacing all the idler pulley bearings. Better safe than sorry. I plan on getting my Blower mini overhauled by steigmeier so for peace of mind im gonna have them do those bearings in the snout done too.

Bulldogger

Reaction score
Been a month since I have got a used TRD s/c with URD pulley, but I didn't install it till now. Before a week I have noticed that the injectors were missing, so I have ordered the URD injectors with few other parts that were missing. Anyway I am about to fit it soon enough, but I have got this feeling that supercharger isn't in a good shape! and unfortunately Toyota dealer here will cancel out my warranty if I install TRD supercharger. So I don't want to destroy my engine, since the S/C has the URD pulley. So is there a way to see if the s/c is in good shape? and will the engine be fine with URD pulley? I have heard the with higher boost I need to change pistons and connecting rods? what is the max PSI that I can go with stock engine? I have swb LC70 manual 5 speed

Thanks in advance!

Waleed

I thought LC70 were 4.5 v8's

Murderface

Reaction score
Well u won't be able to run urd's bigger injectors without a UCON, AEM or X-1 controller if u could find it. URD now sells a smaller puller that looks identical to stock so Toyota won't be able to deny u warranty. The smaller pulley will not hurt the engine as long as the tune is correct. I myself have the URD pulley plus the nst overdrive pulleys and my MAF sees MAF air pushing thru it(been on the truck 2 years).

Murderface

Reaction score
Unichip=weak sauce!

Maybe Torspd can get u set up with Pro EFI for a custom harness and tuner to run the injectors? Worth a shot

waleed

Reaction score
hmm....never heard of pro efi
motec, haltech, unichip, these are the popular ecus here

scoutdeed69

Reaction score
welcome to the site by the way! well your motor will handle about 10psi of boost stock.....but remember your going to need the right stuff. For me i have the MARK III Stage III kit from URD...meaning that i have the bigger injectors, ucon, exhaust cam gears the smallest pully for this kit full exhaust! Kinda stinks you only got the 5spd not the 6spd...but not sure if that vehicle can get a 6 spd! But if you going to go more than 10 psi I would get another motor like it and beef it up by sleeving it and rods pistons... if you can get this stuff for the head, bigger valves springs retainers cams and have the head re-worked for this stuff to help with better air flow! kit includes Key features:
  • More power than any other supercharger system
  • Rotrex C38-81 Supercharger
  • Advanced Engine Management using UCON Flex by iTronix Technologies
  • Huge 61# fuel injectors with harness adapters
  • URD 255 LPH fuel pump/filter kit
  • Silent operation
  • Turbo style blow off valve
  • Large air-air intercooler
  • Outstanding fit and finish
  • Easy installation
  • Off road snorkle compatible
  • Off road winch bumper friendly

Kit includes:
  • Rotrex C38-81 Supercharger w/80mm pulley
  • Self contained Rotrex oil system with large oil cooler
  • Custom length drive belt
  • Precision charge piping made from mandrel bent aluminum
  • URD 255 LPH fuel pump/filter kit
  • Denso IKH24 Iridium Power spark plugs
  • All stainless fasteners where possible
  • All silicone couplers with quaility stainless liner clamps
  • HKS SSQV turbo style blow off valve
  • Drive belt idler pulley
  • URD supercharger mounting bracket
  • URD custom air fillter box with large panel type filter
  • High volume 61# fuel injectors with adpater harnesses
  • Advanced engine management using UCON Flex self tuning engine management system
  • Exhaust cam timing gears
  • Cooler thermostat
  • Very detailed installation instructions
  • http://urdusa.com/Forced-Induction-...005-2008-Tacoma-V6,-Stage-1/product_info.html
  • http://urdusa.com/Forced-Induction-...ge-2-to-Stage-3-UPGRADE-Kit/product_info.html
Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

Murderface

Reaction score
hmm....never heard of pro efi
motec, haltech, unichip, these are the popular ecus here

Ya it's what Trspd is using on his turbo setup and Toons is using on his 09+turbo setup so it should be a go for u

So if ur 1GR is using a 5 spd I wonder if its stronger then ours since that's the weak link for us

Last edited:

waleed

Reaction score
we consider 10 psi is too much for a stock engine here! the max boost with stock engine people go with here is 8.5 psi MAX! maybe because of our weather?
The problem is I drive the car in desert most of the time (during summer the temp is around 113Fto 122F), and also in sand the car is hitting the REV limiter continuously!
I need something reliable with no headache!
and I have to say that the URD s/c is just awesome!! hopefully future project!

So how do you rebuilt the TRD supercharger? and is there a way to find if it needs a rebuilt before installing it?

Ya it's what Trspd is using on his turbo setup and Toons is using on his 09+turbo setup so it should be a go for u

So if ur 1GR is using a 5 spd I wonder if its stronger then ours since that's the weak link for us

in sand the 5 spd is much much better than the 6spd, however for racing I believe that the 6 spd owns!

1st gear goes up to 43 km/hr
2nd ............................ 83 km/hr
3rd............................. 134km/hr
4th............................ 210km/hr
5th......... I don't know :D maybe 230?

Last edited:

Murderface

Reaction score
I don't think boost really matters if ur pegging it off the rev limiter all the time. If Toyota ran the 1GR at redline for an hour before it blew then I'd imagine it won't last too long for u. And that's saying the engine would last an hour hitting the limiter sperattically

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
ProEFI is a very very nice system. However, I would stick to something that your local guys are familair with. Unless you feel like flying a tuner out there.

www.URDUSA.com has the UCON advanced tuning Ecu. Very very nice piece of equipment as well. Just needs a little more time before it is plug in play available.

www.Dezod.com, another vendor here sells the AEM EMS for our trucks. For your model, it will most likely need to be soldered in as well. But it has the flexibilty to be a plug n play or wire in unit.

Either way, the one that I feel would be best for your vehicle, due to geographical location, would be the Haltech. Unless you just have to have the ROLEX of aftemarket ecu's, the Motec.

For the injectors, you will not be able to run a larger injector without some form of tuning device, or a TRD reflash.

Basically that means no boost until you have the tuning solution figured out. Then, if you get a Haltech, per say, I highly suggest these injectors - Injector Dynamics Injectors.
Link>>> http://www.dezod.com/cat_fuel.cfm

Before you get into boost though, upgrade your fuel pump first. That is a SERIOUS MUST!

URD and Dezod both carry fuel pump upgrade kits. :top: So check them both out.

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
ProEFI is a very very nice system. However, I would stick to something that your local guys are familair with. Unless you feel like flying a tuner out there.

www.URDUSA.com has the UCON advanced tuning Ecu. Very very nice piece of equipment as well. Just needs a little more time before it is plug in play available.

www.Dezod.com, another vendor here sells the AEM EMS for our trucks. For your model, it will most likely need to be soldered in as well. But it has the flexibilty to be a plug n play or wire in unit.

Either way, the one that I feel would be best for your vehicle, due to geographical location, would be the Haltech. Unless you just have to have the ROLEX of aftemarket ecu's, the Motec.

For the injectors, you will not be able to run a larger injector without some form of tuning device, or a TRD reflash.

Basically that means no boost until you have the tuning solution figured out. Then, if you get a Haltech, per say, I highly suggest these injectors - Injector Dynamics Injectors.
Link>>> http://www.dezod.com/cat_fuel.cfm

Before you get into boost though, upgrade your fuel pump first. That is a SERIOUS MUST!

URD and Dezod both carry fuel pump upgrade kits. :top: So check them both out.

:top::biggrin::top:

waleed

Reaction score
LOL now I feel bad for selling my Haltech ECU and getting Unichip instead!
I had Haltech 500, gave me too much headache. Cruising sucked, and not that much power.

I can't believe it that you guys consider unichip weak!

STONER-X

Reaction score
One of the members here is running a Turbo at 5psi stock flash stock injectors with really good results....

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Haltech 500 isn't a good enough unit. You would need one of the platinum series.

One of the members here is running a Turbo at 5psi stock flash stock injectors with really good results....

With also using the FPR mod, and upgraded fuel pump. The Aeromotive 340 stealth I believe. He made 320 whp and 340 wtq.

Last edited:
Top Bottom